• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently (per KNBR, and I'm quoting for several hrs ago as I was walking around - so probably not 100% accurate). Only 8 Starts out of 228 innings, 5.47ERA, 27 walks, 21 S.O. So if he's going to start you're looking at our new 1-2 inning designated starter, with the pitcher to follow likely to be in a deep hole

Clearly I do not understand this experiment. Maybe promise him some starts but structure the contract so the Giants have some sort of escape clause preferably after year 1.

Farhan rolling the dice again. He should stay away from the tables
I 100% disregard his 8 MLB starts.

He is young with filthy stuff. And he wants to try Starting while we need starters. It may be an overpay (as I said elsewhere, I do t care about over pays right now) but at worst, he looks like he can be a bully asset.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's proven to be next to impossible to get an elite bat in the prime of his career to come to SF in this era of contracts.

So stop chasing the unicorn and concentrate on an elite starting staff, bully, and defense. Those we should be able to develop or snag. It might take 2-3 years, but it'll always take 2-3 years from when you start. Start with a plan now and you'll get there sooner.

We've discussed this for years and looks like it'll be the topic for the '25 pre-season. I don't see Farhan changing and I'm not sure what it will take to get the owners to wake up.
Not attacking you, but the concept of our inability to sign HITTERS.

Show me the total stud pitcher who has signed with us because of the (apparent) obvious advantages he will get for playing here, and I will buy that argument. Until then, that argument does not exist.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Show me the total stud pitcher who has signed with us because of the (apparent) obvious advantages he will get for playing here, and I will buy that argument. Until then, that argument does not exist.
Ok... OK... maybe wishful thinking on my part that we maybe the pitching unicorn f.a. exists ... gotta have some hope :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I 100% disregard his 8 MLB starts.

He is young with filthy stuff. And he wants to try Starting while we need starters. It may be an overpay (as I said elsewhere, I do t care about over pays right now) but at worst, he looks like he can be a bully asset.
I don't care about overpaying per se, but high $$ players are more inclined to be retained and clog the roster if they don't work out.. If he does deliver, fantastic. If he doesn't we'll have 4 yrs of dead weight on the roster

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1/12 12:38pm: Hicks can also earn an additional $2MM of annual incentives based on innings pitched, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. Those incentives begin kicking in at the 100-inning

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1/12 12:38pm: Hicks can also earn an additional $2MM of annual incentives based on innings pitched, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. Those incentives begin kicking in at the 100-inning

That's a good incentive for the Giants to pull him from the rotation if he looks awful in that spot.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good incentive for the Giants to pull him from the rotation if he looks awful in that spot.
IF only FV had only know he could have gotten a two-fer, a light hitting middle infielder and a pitcher All-in One! :D:brick::pound:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF only FV had only know he could have gotten a two-fer, a light hitting middle infielder and a pitcher All-in One! :D:brick::pound:
FZ isn't sentimental so Charlie Culberson was a no go. Of course, the hybrid middle infielder-pitcher surely would have intrigued him.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only real concern about Hicks is that in FZ mind he may feel that our pitching corps is now complete. Maybe he thinks Ray and Hicks is enough.

Borh Ray and Cobb will be out of service for quite a bit of the earling going. Both are coming off a surgery of sometrr sort. That leaves Webb with very little to follow. Just can't see Stripling being a #2.

I sure hope he takes a run at Montgomery and also stays away from Snell

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say that this is a bad signing. He is just 27 years old, he has a phenomenal fastball and has been good in spurts in relief. However, he has made all of 8 starts in the big leagues (all in 2022). He has hardly stayed healthy (only 2018, his rookie year, and 2023 are his two seasons he has pitched in more than 35 games) and has been inconsistent. I feel like moving him to the starting rotation is a disaster waiting to happen. Its a move a non contending team would make. Could he be better that Jakob Junis? Sure. But I don't see him as an automatic upgrade over Junis (in starting form, relief work, likely yes). Just seems like a big gamble move that feels typical of FZ, except the commitment is 4 years. I hope it works but I'm not expecting it to go well.
I don't think any of us can definitively say its "good" or "bad." From my perspective, it has a decent chance to be a very good move. This SP dice roll I would agree is more likely than not to reveal he's a RP. I don't see it as much of a gamble (in todays market, $11M/yr isn't a huge contract) because WORST case, we end up with an elite bullpen arm. Finally, I don't think this is a "noncontending team" move -- its a smart move that a good GM makes when he can make it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yesterdays deadline was just for submitting numbers, and thus losing some negotiation strength?

I guess that makes sense. There are numerous examples of agreements getting reached while literally in the arbiters office.
yes. you have to commit to a number that you can't change if you go to the hearing. SabeySabes was famous for settling cases just outside the arb room. Timmy one year, for instance.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOR ME ... i dont see us challenging the Dogers for a dividional title for quite some time. I think they will be a 100 win team for quite a while. As a team we struggle to play 500 ball. Only did that once in 7 years. I think we need to win 90 games for a plaff spot. I would hope that is FZ's plan.

Not going to happen in 2024. But he needs to start putting together a young team that can play 500 ball now and get better with experience. Next year we can chase some higher profile players to push us closer to the 90 win area. He needs to create a team that has potential. Have some young talent. They need to be abl8e to play to really get a feel for what they can do and then take it from there.

For the past two years he has chased all of the highest level FAs in the market and came up empty. I just don't think players of that caliber want to play for a team that seems to be treading water.
He needs to make it a winning franchise before he can make it a great one ..
I think that's silly. The offseason isn't even over. Suppose FZ picks up Burnes and Belli?

I just don't get throwing in the towel in January.

Now, the second inning of a 4-0 game...I'M ON BOARD!!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kevin Gausman?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about overpaying per se, but high $$ players are more inclined to be retained and clog the roster if they don't work out.. If he does deliver, fantastic. If he doesn't we'll have 4 yrs of dead weight on the roster
False dichotomy.

What if he's a serviceable back end reliever for 4 years? I see that as the downside.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only real concern about Hicks is that in FZ mind he may feel that our pitching corps is now complete. Maybe he thinks Ray and Hicks is enough.

Borh Ray and Cobb will be out of service for quite a bit of the earling going. Both are coming off a surgery of sometrr sort. That leaves Webb with very little to follow. Just can't see Stripling being a #2.

I sure hope he takes a run at Montgomery and also stays away from Snell
Agreed on Snell and Monty. I'd prefer a trade for Burnes.

That all said, let's be clear on Ray and Cobb. Ray isn't due back til after the ASB. Cobb is due back in May or so. Finally, FZ has said he doesn't think the rotation is complete.