• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that every team does it and, in a vacuum, I'm okay with these moves. Its just the way FZ's FO handles these moves and the sheer volume of these moves that I don't like. With this FO, it is just a portent of things to come.
I thought we signed Tsutsugo toward the end of the 2023 season. Wasn't he with a different org at the beginning of 2023?
I am not 100% certain, but I think he started with us.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate that the doggies are going to get a bump from this, but I am very glad we didn’t pony up into that realm.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers have an advantage, like the yankees. Two actually :

1) they own their own cable baseball channel and the owners make LOTS of money off the TV side, not sharable via MLB rules (the TEAM doesn't own the channel, just the same guys that own the team).

2) Shmucks all over the US have a hard on for both teams, buying hats and memorabilia, and subscribing to premium NY and LA cable channels, which puts even more money in the pockets of the teams' owners.

Thus, they have even more money to spend, nothing based on MLB revenue. The Giants sell games via a cable channel, BUT :
- they are only PARTIAL owners (? 30% ?)
- they signed the deal years before the others, for pennies compared to the money the LA and NY owners got via their cable deals.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate that the doggies are going to get a bump from this, but I am very glad we didn’t pony up into that realm.
The doggies were the expected landing spot from the beginning. Beside to 70M aav he is almost guaranteed a trip to the playoffs. The doggies didn’t need him but this will make them better. A team that wins 100 games a year picks up the top FA. If we miss out on Yamamoto lt will be very interesting to see who they go after. We have quite a bit of upgrades that are needed. Hate to say it but we could be looking up at the doggies for quite a few years

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn 700 million is crazy. I’m glad the Giants didn’t pay that much, but quite certain they must have been close in order for it to be driven so high. The Giants shouldn’t have bid over $400 million for him, and although I’m not happy the dodgers got him the giants can get Yamamoto and someone else hopefully.

The Giants should make it their mission to make sure the dodgers don’t reach the playoffs. Make that $700 million hurt.

Not if I’m not mistaken, isn’t this how inflation is escalated in baseball. Won’t the minimum salary go up as well ? And in turn the average hot dog price go up because of that :hmm:

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Tamamoto will be $300 if not more.

Jung Hoo Lee or Bellinger?

Teoscar Hernandez as DH? Or leave that to Conforto and Haniger ?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants should make it their mission to make sure the dodgers don’t reach the playoffs. Make that $700 million hurt.
Just curious ..... and just how do they do that?

We shouldn't be fixated on anything to do with the doggies ..... we need to help ourselves first ...... and we need a lot of help .....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary cap in baseball?

How can there be any competitive balance?

The $700,000,000 Ohtani gets paid in the next ten years would pay for the Royals' entire roster and a new stadium for the rest of the century!
Baseball finances are way too complicated for a cap to ever work. It is just a situation where some owners want to win while others just want to cash checks.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious ..... and just how do they do that?

We shouldn't be fixated on anything to do with the doggies ..... we need to help ourselves first ...... and we need a lot of help .....
By beating the dodgers every game. That’s like 20 games a year, that should do it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By beating the dodgers every game. That’s like 20 games a year, that should do it.
Make It So Star Trek GIF

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not 100% certain, but I think he started with us.
Nope, he came over in August, like tzill pointed out.

November 6, 2023LF Yoshi Tsutsugo elected free agency.
September 17, 2023LF Yoshi Tsutsugo assigned to Sacramento River Cats from Richmond Flying Squirrels.
August 22, 2023LF Yoshi Tsutsugo assigned to Richmond Flying Squirrels.
August 21, 2023San Francisco Giants signed free agent LF Yoshi Tsutsugo to a minor league contract.
August 18, 2023Staten Island Ferry Hawks placed LF Yoshi Tsutsugo on the temporarily inactive list.
August 18, 2023Staten Island Ferry Hawks placed LF Yoshi Tsutsugo on the temporarily inactive list.
August 1, 2023Staten Island Ferry Hawks signed LF Yoshi Tsutsugo.
June 22, 2023Round Rock Express released LF Yoshi Tsutsugo.
January 15, 2023LF Yoshi Tsutsugo assigned to Round Rock Express.
January 15, 2023LF Yoshi Tsutsugo roster status changed by Texas Rangers.
January 15, 2023Texas Rangers signed free agent LF Yoshi Tsutsugo to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
January 15, 2023Round Rock Express activated LF Yoshi Tsutsugo.
November 10, 2022LF Yoshi Tsutsugo elected free agency.
August 16, 2022Toronto Blue Jays signed free agent LF Yoshi Tsutsugo to a minor league contract.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping that the Blue Jays rumor was real. Unfortunately not.

But, yes, glad the Giants didn't saddle themselves with that contract. Unfortunately, I don't think the Giants' ownership would handle the revenue the same way the Dodgers will.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a partial reason the Giants didn't land Soto (according to MLBTR):
Returning to the Soto trade talks, San Diego president of baseball operations A.J. Preller said the Soto field was comprised of 10 teams with three finalists. The San Francisco Chronicle’s John Shea reports that the Giants were one of the initial 10, though they didn’t make the cut for two central reasons — the Padres preferred the Yankees’ pitching-heavy trade package, and the Padres weren’t keen on moving Soto to a division rival. San Francisco does have a solid batch of young pitching depth of its own, and those arms have naturally drawn interest from other teams given the league-wide demand for pitching. This would seemingly help the Giants’ chances of landing some high-end hitting talent, depending on how much of that depth San Francisco is willing to surrender.