• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, here's my 3.20 WAG on Opening Day:

SP -- Webb, Snell, Hicks, Harrison, Cobb
RP -- Doval, Taylor, Tyler, Jackson, Walker, Jeffries, Black, Sanchez
C -- Bailey, Murphy
IF -- Flores, Wade, Estrada, Ahmed, Chapman, Fitzgerald
OF -- Lee, Yaz, Conforto, Slater
DH -- Soler

If Cobb isn't ready, then Black to the SP and Roup to the bullpen

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Snell today, he won't pitch in the first series vs. the Pads. 4.1 v doyers???

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, here's my 3.20 WAG on Opening Day:

SP -- Webb, Snell, Hicks, Harrison, Cobb
RP -- Doval, Taylor, Tyler, Jackson, Walker, Jeffries, Black, Sanchez
C -- Bailey, Murphy
IF -- Flores, Wade, Estrada, Ahmed, Chapman, Fitzgerald
OF -- Lee, Yaz, Conforto, Slater
DH -- Soler

If Cobb isn't ready, then Black to the SP and Roup to the bullpen
I would prefer Black and Roupp in the Sacto rotation, but if the PsTB feel they are ready, than I am all in.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Snell's batting average against his pitch arsenal in 2023:

Four-seam fastball: .255 BAA
Curveball: .079 BAA (LOL)
Slider: .123 BAA
Changeup: .185 BAA

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Snell's batting average against his pitch arsenal in 2023:

Four-seam fastball: .255 BAA
Curveball: .079 BAA (LOL)
Slider: .123 BAA
Changeup: .185 BAA
I need Snell to work with Roupp, stat!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thought: for all the grief FZ gets (some of it deserved), he absolutely phuking KILLED the market this offseason. He outgunned Boras....TWICE. His timing was impeccable and he deserves a ton of credit for that, no matter how the season plays out.
For real. We wanted him to DO something...he made moves and not just for middle infield depth

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going to post this here:

Of the 54 remaining major league free agents, 15 of them are former Giants. They are: Matthew Boyd, Madison Bumgarner, Johnny Cueto, Jarlin Garcia, Sam Coonrod, Mark Melancon, Matt Wisler, Donovan Solano, Hanser Alberto, Evan Longoria, AJ Pollock, Billy Hamilton, Brandon Belt, Tommy La Stella, Darin Ruf

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of the 54 remaining major league free agents, 15 of them are former Giants. They are: Matthew Boyd, Madison Bumgarner, Johnny Cueto, Jarlin Garcia, Sam Coonrod, Mark Melancon, Matt Wisler, Donovan Solano, Hanser Alberto, Evan Longoria, AJ Pollock, Billy Hamilton, Brandon Belt, Tommy La Stella, Darin Ruf
That says something I’m just not sure what :hmm:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ruf will always be the man responsible for me getting COVID. When he hit that HR vs the doyers in the playoffs I must have high-fived about a thousand people.

Bottom line: TOTALLY worth it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf will always be the man responsible for me getting COVID. When he hit that HR vs the doyers in the playoffs I must have high-fived about a thousand people.

Bottom line: TOTALLY worth it.
Isnt there another guy on that list with some Giants Postseason stories as well?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Giants players who are on the 40-man roster and still in camp that the team will need to make a decision on one way or the other include:
-Ethan Small
-Sean Hjelle
-Joey Bart
-Blake Sabol
-Marco Luciano

Small/Hjelle could start the year on the injured list. Sabol and Luciano can be sent down and a decision will need to be made on Bart. I excluded Luis Matos from this list. Not an obvious spot for him, but he's making this a tough decision after a strong camp.

By my count, 29 players on the 40-man roster still remain in camp. They'll likely add at least one NRI (Nick Ahmed) to the active roster but probably more (Sanchez/Jefferies/Howard) to fill the back end of the bullpen.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Giants players who are on the 40-man roster and still in camp that the team will need to make a decision on one way or the other include:
-Ethan Small
-Sean Hjelle
-Joey Bart
-Blake Sabol
-Marco Luciano

Small/Hjelle could start the year on the injured list. Sabol and Luciano can be sent down and a decision will need to be made on Bart. I excluded Luis Matos from this list. Not an obvious spot for him, but he's making this a tough decision after a strong camp.

By my count, 29 players on the 40-man roster still remain in camp. They'll likely add at least one NRI (Nick Ahmed) to the active roster but probably more (Sanchez/Jefferies/Howard) to fill the back end of the bullpen.
Nick Avila also reassigned to minor league camp.

It looks like there are now 37 players left in camp. I am not counting Adam Warren, Tristan Beck, Robbie Ray, Ethan Small or Sean Hjelle as they all appear destined to start the season on the IL. Also, I assume that Adrian Sugastay, Andy Thomas and Grant McCray have been reassigned to minor league camp. Sugastay never got into a big league spring game. Thomas has only played in one game on March 3rd. McCray had played in 1 game (16th) since March 10th.

Remaining players in camp:
Starting pitchers (8) - Mason Black, Alex Cobb, Kyle Harrison, Jordan Hicks, Spencer Howard, Blake Snell, Logan Webb, Keaton Winn
Relief pitchers (9) - Camilo Doval, Blayne Enlow, Luke Jackson, Daulton Jefferies, Taylor Rogers, Tyler Rogers, Landen Roupp, Juan Sanchez, Ryan Walker
Catchers (5) - Patrick Bailey, Joey Bart, Tom Murphy, Jackson Reetz, Blake Sabol
Infielders (8) - Nick Ahmed, Matt Chapman, Tyler Fitzgerald, Wilmer Flores, Thairo Estrada, Marco Luciano, Pablo Sandoval, Lamonte Wade
Outfielders (7) - Michael Conforto, Jung Hoo Lee, Luis Matos, Ismael Munguia, Austin Slater, Jorge Soler, Mike Yastrzemski

It should be noted that Winn still has not appeared in a big league spring game since he was shut down. It could be possible that he starts the season on the IL as well.
Oh, and Sandoval is still getting late game appearances in camp. He is now 2 for 12 (both singles) with a run scored and 9 strikeouts.
Besides Bart, who do you think will be 40 man roster casualties. My guess is it will be Randy Rodriguez, Cooper Hummel and Erik Miller.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides Bart, who do you think will be 40 man roster casualties. My guess is it will be Randy Rodriguez, Cooper Hummel and Erik Miller.
The more I think about it, the less surprised I'll be if Heliot Ramos is a 40 man roster casualty.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what puzzles me this morning. With a wide open bullpen (okay, only 3 spots, but can anyone remember when more than 1 or 2 spots were an open competition in spring training?), why would the Giants ship off Erik Miller so early in camp? He didn't look bad and is on the 40 man roster. They liked him enough to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft last December. I wonder what it was they saw that made them say "Look, we have some holes in the bullpen that will force us to turn to guys not on the 40 but Miller isn't going to be a serious consideration".
Yes, the Giants could still recall him for the active roster before the season begins but he hasn't even been up for a game since he was optioned. Guys optioned that early, and who have not come back up for an appearance, rarely get added to the opening day roster. I know that his games weren't the best but it just seems so odd that the Giants would decide he wasn't worth the consideration only about a week into camp games, with so much uncertainty who would fill 3 bullpen spots. And he is a lefty too, which makes the whole thing even more odd.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what puzzles me this morning. With a wide open bullpen (okay, only 3 spots, but can anyone remember when more than 1 or 2 spots were an open competition in spring training?), why would the Giants ship off Erik Miller so early in camp? He didn't look bad and is on the 40 man roster. They liked him enough to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft last December. I wonder what it was they saw that made them say "Look, we have some holes in the bullpen that will force us to turn to guys not on the 40 but Miller isn't going to be a serious consideration".
Yes, the Giants could still recall him for the active roster before the season begins but he hasn't even been up for a game since he was optioned. Guys optioned that early, and who have not come back up for an appearance, rarely get added to the opening day roster. I know that his games weren't the best but it just seems so odd that the Giants would decide he wasn't worth the consideration only about a week into camp games, with so much uncertainty who would fill 3 bullpen spots. And he is a lefty too, which makes the whole thing even more odd.
I'm thinking they simply like other guys better. I take this as an indication of org depth.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Casey Schmitt and Otto López being optioned earlier this week, it does look like Tyler Fitzgerald has a pretty clear path to that utility role. He has a .727 OPS with 1 home run and 4 stolen bases in 35 at-bats. 18 strikeouts is a number to monitor.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is looking like Slater may start the year on the 10, meaning Matos might actually break camp.