• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

season 2 help GIF by 9-1-1 on FOX
Getting “shut down” this early in camp is not a huge deal.

But just to extrapolate…

If this ends up being a thing, and he isn’t ready by opening day, I would guess that maybe opens a slot for Gonzo or Ramos, or maybe an outside shot for Piscotty or Brown. Thinking a bit more wild, maybe they can look at Wad as the extra OFer which could open a slot to carry 3 catchers (Perez, Bart and Sabol) or maybe shift VR to 1B and open camp with Schmitt.

Again, at this point, I am not worried about Slater. This is super early in camp, and getting shut down means next to nothing.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting “shut down” this early in camp is not a huge deal.

But just to extrapolate…

If this ends up being a thing, and he isn’t ready by opening day, I would guess that maybe opens a slot for Gonzo or Ramos, or maybe an outside shot for Piscotty or Brown. Thinking a bit more wild, maybe they can look at Wad as the extra OFer which could open a slot to carry 3 catchers (Perez, Bart and Sabol) or maybe shift VR to 1B and open camp with Schmitt.

Again, at this point, I am not worried about Slater. This is super early in camp, and getting shut down means next to nothing.
The article mentions that the start of the season is less than a month away and if he misses much time, he may not be ready for OP. Gonzalez has also been shut down and already ruled out for OP. I doubt Brown gets a shot but I do think 3 catchers is much more likely if Slater isn't ready. However, the Giants could just as likely pick up one of Odubel Herrera, Ender Inciarte or Albert Almora.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article mentions that the start of the season is less than a month away and if he misses much time, he may not be ready for OP. Gonzalez has also been shut down and already ruled out for OP. I doubt Brown gets a shot but I do think 3 catchers is much more likely if Slater isn't ready. However, the Giants could just as likely pick up one of Odubel Herrera, Ender Inciarte or Albert Almora.
I think they like Sabol. But I doubt they want to rely on him as a #2 catcher. And I think they WANT Perez to make it if at all possible.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they like Sabol. But I doubt they want to rely on him as a #2 catcher. And I think they WANT Perez to make it if at all possible.
I thought that I read somewhere that Sabol's bat is ready but his defense behind the plate needs a lot of work. That alone makes me think he won't make the team, unless they need some outfield depth and he continues to rake in spring training.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that I read somewhere that Sabol's bat is ready but his defense behind the plate needs a lot of work. That alone makes me think he won't make the team, unless they need some outfield depth and he continues to rake in spring training.
If Slater isnt ready, Sabol can make the team as a 5th OFer/emergency catcher.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea that Luciano is hurt again, until now. From the team's website:

SS Marco Luciano (low back stress fracture)
Expected return:
Late March
Luciano reinjured his back while playing winter ball in his native Dominican Republic. He is slowly ramping up baseball activity and has progressed to taking batting practice.
“He’s making really good progress,” manager Gabe Kapler said. “He looks great, and his work has been great. He’s on a good path right now. If we see him in Cactus League games, I think it’s going to be kind of the last week of the spring. We really do want to build him up slowly and smartly.” (Last updated: March 1)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, the 6th game of spring training is being played. Including the starting lineup and today's starting pitcher, 57 of the 76 players in big league camp have played in at least 1 game (this number does NOT include guys called up for the day from minor league camp). So who are the 19 yet to play? Let's start with the known injured players:
Marco Luciano (see post above)
Cole Waites (may not pitch until the last week of camp, possibly not available for start of spring)
Luis Gonzalez (may not be ready until end of camp)
Austin Slater (just shut down, may see delay to start of season)
Luke Jackson (likely not ready until June)
Joe Ross (also out for the first couple months of the season)

That leaves another 13 guys with question marks as to why they have not played yet. Tristan Beck has started his 2nd game of camp, but these starters have yet to pitch (will likely in the next few days, I assume):
Anthony DeSclafani
Alex Wood

So what is going on with the rest of these guys?
Sean Newcomb, rp
Ljay Newsome, rp
Darien Nunez, rp
Randy Rodriguez, rp
Tyler Rogers, rp
Miguel Yajure, rp
Brett Cumberland, c
Wilmer Flores, 2nd
Donovan Walton, 2nd
Colton Welker, 3rd
Brady Whalen, 2nd

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay folks, we've got a player on the waiver wire, and he's a middle infielder! FZ is probably twitching just thinking about the possibility!

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, the 6th game of spring training is being played. Including the starting lineup and today's starting pitcher, 57 of the 76 players in big league camp have played in at least 1 game (this number does NOT include guys called up for the day from minor league camp). So who are the 19 yet to play? Let's start with the known injured players:
Marco Luciano (see post above)
Cole Waites (may not pitch until the last week of camp, possibly not available for start of spring)
Luis Gonzalez (may not be ready until end of camp)
Austin Slater (just shut down, may see delay to start of season)
Luke Jackson (likely not ready until June)
Joe Ross (also out for the first couple months of the season)

That leaves another 13 guys with question marks as to why they have not played yet. Tristan Beck has started his 2nd game of camp, but these starters have yet to pitch (will likely in the next few days, I assume):
Anthony DeSclafani
Alex Wood

So what is going on with the rest of these guys?
Sean Newcomb, rp
Ljay Newsome, rp
Darien Nunez, rp
Randy Rodriguez, rp
Tyler Rogers, rp
Miguel Yajure, rp
Brett Cumberland, c
Wilmer Flores, 2nd
Donovan Walton, 2nd
Colton Welker, 3rd
Brady Whalen, 2nd
In the past two days, we've seen the spring debuts for DeSclafani, Rodriguez, Rogers and Flores. Wood is expected to pitch today. That means the following still have not played in a game with the Giants this spring:
Sean Newcomb
Ljay Newsome
Darien Nunez
Miguel Yajure
Brett Cumberland
Donovan Walton
Colton Welker
Brady Whalen

Considering the amount of guys they've brought up from minor league camp (14 position players, 7 pitchers), I would guess that these guys are all injured.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past two days, we've seen the spring debuts for DeSclafani, Rodriguez, Rogers and Flores. Wood is expected to pitch today. That means the following still have not played in a game with the Giants this spring:
Sean Newcomb
Ljay Newsome
Darien Nunez
Miguel Yajure
Brett Cumberland
Donovan Walton
Colton Welker
Brady Whalen

Considering the amount of guys they've brought up from minor league camp (14 position players, 7 pitchers), I would guess that these guys are all injured.
Giants made a series of moves, mainly cutting these guys from major league camp. From sfgiants.com:

March 5: RHP Randy Rodríguez optioned; 11 non-roster invitees reassigned to Minor League camp
The most notable player included in the Giants' first round of cuts was Rodríguez, a 23-year-old right-hander who posted a scoreless inning against the Guardians in his lone Cactus League appearance on March 2. San Francisco also sent out catchers Brett Cumberland and Andy Thomas; left-handers Sean Newcomb, Darien Núñez and Daniel Tillo; right-handers Ljay Newsome, Joe Ross and Drew Strotman; and infielders Donovan Walton, Colton Welker and Brady Whalen. Sixty-six players remain in big league camp, including 27 non-roster invitees.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants made a series of moves, mainly cutting these guys from major league camp. From sfgiants.com:

March 5: RHP Randy Rodríguez optioned; 11 non-roster invitees reassigned to Minor League camp
The most notable player included in the Giants' first round of cuts was Rodríguez, a 23-year-old right-hander who posted a scoreless inning against the Guardians in his lone Cactus League appearance on March 2. San Francisco also sent out catchers Brett Cumberland and Andy Thomas; left-handers Sean Newcomb, Darien Núñez and Daniel Tillo; right-handers Ljay Newsome, Joe Ross and Drew Strotman; and infielders Donovan Walton, Colton Welker and Brady Whalen. Sixty-six players remain in big league camp, including 27 non-roster invitees.
Strotman got sent down?!? But hitters were only hitting .875 against him! /s

So it looks like he faced 14 batters. He have up 3 singles, 2 doubles, 2 HRs, and 6 walks.

Might as well let batters hit off a tee.

1678075788063.png

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strotman got sent down?!? But hitters were only hitting .875 against him! /s

So it looks like he faced 14 batters. He have up 3 singles, 2 doubles, 2 HRs, and 6 walks.

Might as well let batters hit off a tee.

View attachment 322644
There is going to be a crunch in AAA's pitching staff. The way I see it, barring injuries (which we all know will happen), there are approximately 30 pitchers competing for approximately 18 spots. There will be some casualties. Of course, the guys they stocked there last year, Strotman may not be one of them who won't make the team.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Villar has the most at-bats (11) on the Giants without a hit. Does that matter? Probably not. If he goes like 2-30 in spring training and begins the year in a slump, then that might be the time to pay attention.