• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2021

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be a rough year watching Cueto. Really encouraged by Webb and DeSclafani, though. Then with Gausman should hopefully be solid top 3. Ideally one of Wood/Sanchez works out, but not off to a great start. I have more faith in Wood to be effective when he's out there, but that's been a huge issue (staying healthy). Sanchez just hasn't been all that great in awhile on top of being hurt.

I do think the bullpen will be a strong point for the Giants this year. There's enough depth and various looks to keep teams off balance and arms fresh. They're going to get a lot of millage out of them this year since basically 40% of the rotation will be a complete dud most of the time.

I don't necessarily agree...you might be right of course but I could see JC being a solid #3 type pitcher. I doubt he returns to starting the ASG Cueto but he could very well shimmy and quick pitch his way to a solid season. I also think there's a good chance that the #5 guy could emerge later in the year (cough...Beede...cough) and surprise all of us.

Goodness sakes, man...it's not even April and you're bagging on the rotation.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Giants reassigned Zack Littell, Trevor Gott, Nick Tropeano and Dominic Leone. Leone, in my opinion is the most puzzling snub. Gott and Littell both looked better late in camp but I guess their early camp hiccups didn't help them (although I wonder what the point was in not reassigning them earlier if their performance going forward was moot). Tropeano was rumored to get the long man but his numbers weren't that good. Leone shined from start to finish and out pitched half the guys who've made the roster. I'm also mildly surprised that Sanchez won't be shelved with Wood. Maybe he'll be used in long relief or the Giants will keep a 5 man rotation early in the season in hopes on putting less stress on them in a long season.

Edit: Further pondering this likely OP roster, FZ has been very calm in the transactions department but not putting anyone through waivers and reassigning all the NRIs. I guess he's letting Scott Harris have more say in moves.
Also, the average age on this 26 man roster will be 30.46. A mere 10 of the 26 players are under 30 (Peralta, Flores, Garcia, Moronta, Sanchez, Wisler, Slater, Baragar, Dubon and Webb) and only 2 are 25 or younger (Dubon and Webb).

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily agree...you might be right of course but I could see JC being a solid #3 type pitcher. I doubt he returns to starting the ASG Cueto but he could very well shimmy and quick pitch his way to a solid season. I also think there's a good chance that the #5 guy could emerge later in the year (cough...Beede...cough) and surprise all of us.

Am I hearing this right? Are you okay? I'M somehow the pessimistic one about pitching compared to tzill?! A red letter day!

I'm actually fairly optimistic about the rotation, didn't mean to come across that pessimistic yet, but trying to set my expectations. I'm very concerned about Cueto, though. There's just not much in the last 4 years that gives me optimism. Certainly hope I'm wrong!

IIRC Beede was looking really good in Spring training before the injury, breaking out his new repertoire. I'm thinking he's more 2022 by the time he's fully 'back', but that'd be awesome if he can be unleashed sooner (if they're in the chase).

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It sucks though.

Goose, yeah I'm calling him goose (anyone else? just me?), is our OD guy? I thought it might be Webb... Long Season part 4.

P.S. Not a single DM...?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I hearing this right? Are you okay? I'M somehow the pessimistic one about pitching compared to tzill?! A red letter day!

I'm actually fairly optimistic about the rotation, didn't mean to come across that pessimistic yet, but trying to set my expectations. I'm very concerned about Cueto, though. There's just not much in the last 4 years that gives me optimism. Certainly hope I'm wrong!

IIRC Beede was looking really good in Spring training before the injury, breaking out his new repertoire. I'm thinking he's more 2022 by the time he's fully 'back', but that'd be awesome if he can be unleashed sooner (if they're in the chase).
I agree, Beeduh probably comes up in August or so, so the FO can gauge what they have. He's out of options next year and roster spots will be precious going into this offseason. I think he impresses enough to stick.

As for the rotation, here's my gut:

1. Gaus regresses. Don't know why but I just don't trust him. Still above average though.
2. JC pitches decently, slightly above league average. Draws interest at the deadline
3. Webb has ups and downs, but is a mainstay. Above average.
4. Descla is 2021's Gausman...and we trade him at the deadline for solid prospects. Above average.
5.Wood/Sanchez/etc/et al -- we find a decent starter or a combo of guys give us enough decent starts to stay around .500

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Beeduh probably comes up in August or so, so the FO can gauge what they have. He's out of options next year and roster spots will be precious going into this offseason. I think he impresses enough to stick.

As for the rotation, here's my gut:

1. Gaus regresses. Don't know why but I just don't trust him. Still above average though.
2. JC pitches decently, slightly above league average. Draws interest at the deadline
3. Webb has ups and downs, but is a mainstay. Above average.
4. Descla is 2021's Gausman...and we trade him at the deadline for solid prospects. Above average.
5.Wood/Sanchez/etc/et al -- we find a decent starter or a combo
I also think Gausman will regress, primarily because he hasn't shown, prior to 2020, that he's that good. He did have a 10 start half season with the Braves in 2018 that was similar to his 10 start 2020 season with the Giants, with one notable exception, his K rate was much better in 2020. I think that gives some ray of hope that he can have a decent 2021 season but I want to see how he does this first month of 2021 before I can believe he somehow rounded a corner in his career. I think his floor is much lower than above average so I feel that he could be either really good or really bad.
Cueto just hasn't been good since his first year in SF, minus 9 starts in an abbreviated 2018 season. He hasn't looked even decent since his TJ surgery. Granted, that's looking at 16 starts across the past two seasons, but his spring numbers are in line with what he's done in 2019 and 2020. I think he could do slightly better, but he's looking more like a 3rd starter, at best, and probably closer to a 5th starter.
Webb has a wonderful spring training, and I hope he does well, but I also want to reserve judgment on him until I see how he does in April.
DeSclafani, I agree, could well be this season's Gausman. He had a good 2019, with Cincinnati as his home city, so he has potential. If the Giants are "in contention" come the trading deadline, I don't see him being moved, however. The FO may want to hang on to him, especially if Gausman and Cueto aren't looking good.
If Wood can get healthy, I think he could give decent production from the 5th starter's spot. Sanchez, however, I think is done. He's not been good since 2016, didn't even pitch in 2020 and looked bad in spring training. We'll see how he does.
For now, the AAA depth looks to be Conner Menez, Anthony Banda, Nick Tropeano and some combination of Gerson Garabito, Jay Jackson, Phil Pfeifer and possibly Sean Hjelle. My guess is, the FO will go outside the org to bring in somebody, should two or more of the starting 5 either underperform or get injured. Or, maybe we see some more openers start.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring training may be over but a couple of spring training injuries recently got publicized:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 peope recovering from TJ surgery... ?
Lots of articles over the last couple of years speaking to the uptick in TJ surgery. Seems that kids are throwing year round in Pony League and Legion ball and this continues into HS and college. I know two HS kids who have had it. A lot to be said for playing other sports as well as baseball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of articles over the last couple of years speaking to the uptick in TJ surgery. Seems that kids are throwing year round in Pony League and Legion ball and this continues into HS and college. I know two HS kids who have had it. A lot to be said for playing other sports as well as baseball.
It allows kids to heal from the repetitive actions. Doing the same respective actions continually year round never gives the muscles/tendons/whatever a chance to recover and get stronger.

I also believe that specialization within the game is a contributing factor. If pitchers only have to throw 1-3 innings per outing now, they need to throw at 110% on every pitch. That is incredible stress on arms across the board now. In the past, fewer players had to throw at that level of intensity.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wearing my orange Giants' polo yesterday while doing some grocery shopping (had a few stores to go to) and was surprised to see two different people get excited about the shirt (not the obnoxious Dodger fan excited, the real Giant fan excited). The 2nd one was at Trader Joe's close to my house. He started talking about how his in-laws came from Jersey and were Giants' fans since back in the day when the team was in New York. That love of the team spread to him and his boys, who is a high school catcher and a big Buster Posey fan.
That brings me to why I'm posting about it here. He said that he heard that Posey announced that he was going to retire after this season. I was surprised because I've see or heard nothing about that kind of big news. I assumed that he heard from a guy who heard it from another guy but thought I'd throw it out here to see anyone has actually read a credible source making this statement.

I think it is safe to expect Ramos and Bart to be on the opening day roster next year. I would think Wilson was there as well, but I haven’t heard his name all spring. Is he even in camp? Is he hurt?

Bishop is a huge question mark, though. He gets rave reviews and great write ups, but we didn’t see him last year, so I have nothing to go one except the fact that “those in the know” rate him high. I know he is a bopper who projects to a corner outfielder (I believe he has the arm for right, but the range for left). But outside of that, I know nothing. Declaring him ready by next year was based on nothing outside of him being in the system long enough now that he belongs in those conversations.

Luciano probably, realistically, needs another year-ish past this year. Kid looks great, but he is still raw. And he is a kid. Give him time.

Opening day lineup in ‘23??

C - Bart / Posey
1B - Posey / Bart
2B - Dubon (?? probably Wilson)
SS - Wilson (probably a BIG NAME free agent)
3B - Luciano (he may start his career at SS, but I think Wilson is the better defensive prospect there)
RF - Ramos
CF - Wade (probably Dubon or a free agent)
LF - Bishop

Obviously this won’t be it, but I don’t think there are a lot big reaches here. We need something in CF (Dubon is a great super util, but I don’t know that he is an every day outfielder long term), and the SS market will be a prime target for the org next year, which will dictate where Luciano and Wilson end up playing.

Speaking of next year’s SS market, who do we want? Correa? Seager? Story? All will demand big money. Story will probably be the easiest get since his CURRENT current team is completely out of the running (though he will probably be traded before the end of the year). I seem to remember reading that Houston has little chance of retaining Correa as well, so maybe he will be “easier” to get as well. I have a hard time thinking the doggies will let Seager walk.
Interesting to look back two years ago to see what we were talking about during spring training. These were some of the highlights from the first 3 pages.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is safe to expect Ramos and Bart to be on the opening day roster next year. I would think Wilson was there as well, but I haven’t heard his name all spring. Is he even in camp? Is he hurt?

Bishop is a huge question mark, though. He gets rave reviews and great write ups, but we didn’t see him last year, so I have nothing to go one except the fact that “those in the know” rate him high. I know he is a bopper who projects to a corner outfielder (I believe he has the arm for right, but the range for left). But outside of that, I know nothing. Declaring him ready by next year was based on nothing outside of him being in the system long enough now that he belongs in those conversations.

Luciano probably, realistically, needs another year-ish past this year. Kid looks great, but he is still raw. And he is a kid. Give him time.

Opening day lineup in ‘23??

C - Bart / Posey
1B - Posey / Bart
2B - Dubon (?? probably Wilson)
SS - Wilson (probably a BIG NAME free agent)
3B - Luciano (he may start his career at SS, but I think Wilson is the better defensive prospect there)
RF - Ramos
CF - Wade (probably Dubon or a free agent)
LF - Bishop

Obviously this won’t be it, but I don’t think there are a lot big reaches here. We need something in CF (Dubon is a great super util, but I don’t know that he is an every day outfielder long term), and the SS market will be a prime target for the org next year, which will dictate where Luciano and Wilson end up playing.
nailed-it.gif