• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2021

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess at the Opening Day Roster:

C: Buster, Casali
IF: Flores, La Stella, Craw, Longo, Barrels (BB9 on IL to start)
OF: Dick, Doobie, Yaz, Slater, Ruf, Wade
SP: GasCan, JC, Webb, Descla, Sanchy
RP: McGee, Wisler, Rogers, Moronta, Trop, Alvarez, Garcia, Littell

Looks like Wade was reassigned to MiLB camp today, so Belt must be ready. Otherwise your batters are spot on.

On the pitching side, we'll see. Kazmir and Yamaguchi were reassigned today, but neither had a great shot.
Belt has played two games at 1st base in the past few days (haven't seen today's lineup yet) so it seems that they are, indeed, confident on him starting the season.

Littell looked like a long shot two weeks ago but has really come on recently. I'm glad that they didn't go with Kazmir or Yamaguchi as I wasn't impressed with either, especially Kazmir. However, he was the emotional choice, just for the comeback storyline, so I was afraid that they'd go with him anyway.

I think that the Giants are still looking at Baragar as a possibility in the bullpen. He's quietly had a good spring. Gott has gotten better in the last week and Leone has had a good spring as well.

By the way, Sam Selman is no longer listed on the 40 man roster on the Giants' website. Their transactions page shows he was optioned on March 25th and then that his roster status was changed. I assume he's been dfa'd.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Wade was reassigned to MiLB camp today, so Belt must be ready. Otherwise your batters are spot on.

On the pitching side, we'll see. Kazmir and Yamaguchi were reassigned today, but neither had a great shot.
My money says to make room for Ramos...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yaz hit in the hand, but it isnt expected to be serious. Maybe a 15-day stint to start? Maybe that opens the door for Ramos?

Is the IL 15 days again this year?

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yaz hit in the hand, but it isnt expected to be serious. Maybe a 15-day stint to start? Maybe that opens the door for Ramos?

Is the IL 15 days again this year?

pfft.

Ramos has opened the door for Ramos.

This will let someone else in maybe.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, still 10-day this year.

It would open a door for Wade, if anyone.
The way Wade hit, he needs others to open the door for him.
Meanwhile, no word on whether LaStella will be ready. He's dealing with a knee contusion and only pinch hit in today's game. I wonder if Vosler gets the nod if LaStella starts on the IL.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With spring training essentially over, here's my thoughts on the pitching staff:
Since Alex Wood is still ailing and Aaron Sanchez doesn't look ready, I think the Giants may start the season with a 4 man starting rotation consisting of Kevin Gausman, Johnny Cueto, Logan Webb and Anthony DeSclafani, until they get through the first couple of weeks. Then, they'll hope one of Wood/Sanchez is ready to go. Quite frankly, based on spring training numbers, I'm more excited about the back two than the front two.
As for the bullpen, I could see them loading up on 9 relief pitchers. We know that Jake McGee, Matt Wisler, Jarlin Garcia, Jose Alvarez and Reyes Moronta are guaranteed roster spots. I think that the bullpen will round out with Tyler Rogers, Dominic Leone, Zack Littell and Nick Tropeano.
With that, here's my list of the 10 best and 10 worst spring training performances (based on at least 3 appearances or 2 starts).
Top 10 Best:
1. Jake McGee - I wasn't that excited about his signing but, the way he's pitched this spring, I'm excited now. He managed to give up a mere 1 baserunner (on a hit) in 6.1 innings pitched, striking out 8!
2. Logan Webb - He's gone from possible number 5 starter early in the offseason to odd man out at the start of camp to number 3 starter at the end of camp. He's earned it, going 17 innings in 5 starts, giving up 1 run on 7 hits and 2 walks while striking out 22 batters. Way to go Logan!
3. Caleb Baragar - Baragar held his own in his debut season in 2020 but got lost in the flurry of pitching signings this offseason and spring. Rumored to have ask the FO to move him back to the rotation since he figured he was headed to AAA, he's been used exclusively in relief this spring. And he's looked good enough that he should make the team (6 innings, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 3 walks, 6 Ks) but will probably be one of the last guys to get sent down.
4. Anthony DeSclafani - It seems that the starting rotation may have at least one decent reclamation project in the former Red. He only got in 3 starts but looked progressively better in each one. He struck out 12 batters in 9.2 innings pitched, giving up 3 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks.
5. Dominic Leone - This guy looks like he may have pushed his way through the NRI door for an OP roster spot. He's also posted high strikeout numbers (13 in 8.2 innings) while also limiting runs (1, on 7 hits and 2 walks).
6. Camilo Doval - He hasn't gotten to pitch in over a week but he's looked good in 5 games (7 Ks, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 2 walks in 5 innings), yet he got optioned half way through. He should have gotten a longer look.
7. Silvino Bracho - I'd put him higher on this list, if not for one game he got knocked around. Outside of that, he's dominated - 12 Ks in 7.1 innings, with only 4 hits and 2 walks. However, 4 of those 6 baserunners scored, dooming him to a reassignment.
8. Shun Yamaguchi - Another signing I wasn't thrilled about but whom pitched better than I expected. He was shaky at first but put up some decent numbers in camp (6 innings, 6 Ks, 7 baserunners, 1 earned run). He got reassigned however, which was a bit surprising.
9. Tyler Rogers - Now we are getting into guys who were merely decent in spring. He's pitched better than what most probably expected of him but not as good as I think he could do. He only K'd 4 in 7.1 innings but limited baserunners to just 8 (6 hits, 2 walks) and gave up only 3 earned runs.
10. Matt Wisler - Another offseason signing, he was okay in camp. He did strike out 13 in 8.1 innings, and allowed only 2 earned runs, but also gave up 7 hits and 4 walks.
Honorable mention: Rico Garcia

Top 10 Worst:

1. Yunior Marte - Here is why spring training games go for a month, to properly evaluate what you have. Marte started off hot but got absolutely rocked in his last games. His stats? 6.1 innings, 7 Ks, 11 hits, 5 walks, 4 hit batters and 8 earned runs! With the minor league roster crunch, he could get let go before May 1st.
2. Aaron Sanchez - His performance is a strong reason I think the Giants will go with a 4 man rotation. He got in his first game late in camp and only made 2 starts. The results? 14 baserunners, 5 earned runs and 5 Ks in 5 innings pitched.
3. Jay Jackson - He got lit up in 3 early spring games (2 earned runs in 3 innings, with 4 hits, 3 walks and 2 strikeouts) and was reassigned early.
4. Sam Selman - Already threatened by the McGee and Jose Alvarez signings, he followed up a fine 2020 (albeit with a major meltdown at the end) with a horrible spring (2.25 WHIP, 9.45 ERA in 7 games). It appears he's already been dumped from the 40 man roster.
5. Johnny Cueto - This is going to a bit of a theme, so I'll say it here - Yes, I get that spring training numbers for established big leaguers are not too important, in general. However, when a guy has been out of action for over a year, and looked mediocre on his return last year, you want to see some encouraging numbers. Not so with Cueto. He got rocked for 8 earned runs, on the strength of 12 hits and 4 walks, with 9 strikeouts in 7.1 innings. It could be a long season.
6. Sam Wolff - Here's a guy who saw a slim chance slip away. In 5 games, he went 3.2 innings, giving up 7 hits, 1 walk, 3 earned runs with only 3 strikeouts.
7. Anthony Banda - Already a 40 man casualty, the Giants were able to keep him around and brought him in as an NRI. He looked bad, with a 7.94 ERA and 2.118 WHIP in 9 innings (with only 5 Ks to boot).
8. Dedniel Nunez - It almost feels bad to include him, with the TJ surgery killing his chances until 2022 at the earliest, but he didn't exactly look good before the injury. His 2.100 WHIP and 10.80 ERA, and lack of Ks (2 in 4 innings) was a signal that he would have been sent back to the Mets.
9. Scott Kazmir - A feel good seems to have a fairly typical ending, in that he was looked extremely rusty. He can still strike out a batter (11 in 8.2 innings) but he can also put the runners on base (14 hits and 4 walks). He's going to need some more time if he hopes to get back to the big leagues.
10. Jose Alvarez - I didn't understand this move when it happened and I'm even more puzzled now that spring is about over. He got a late start to pitching in games (I can only assume because he signed early in camp. I didn't hear of any injury issues) but got into 6 games and got knocked around to the tune of an 8.31 ERA and 2.077 WHIP. He does strike out batters (8 in 4.1 innings pitched) but so does about half of the 40 something pitchers in camp.
Dis-Honorable mentions: Reyes Moronta, Daniel Alvarez

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my Top 10 Best & Worst Offensive Performances lists for the Giants' 2021 camp (minimum 10 at bats to make either list):
Top 10 Best:
1. Austin Slater - .360/.429/.880 Slater's late start didn't put a damper on his hitting. The best slash in spring may have earned him a platoon not just in left field but possibly in center field as well, where he played most of his games in spring.
2. Evan Longoria - .346/.414/.885 It wasn't his bat that was in question this spring, that is for sure. Hopefully, he can keep that offense going this year and stay healthy enough to man 3rd base.
3. Heliot Ramos - .410/.425/.718 He certainly looks ready! This camp probably jumped him not just to AAA but as the next in line to get a promotion this season, if he can stay healthy.
4. Joey Bart - .423/.464/.654 It was encouraging to see Bart put up good numbers in camp. Here's hope he'll be ready next time he gets big league playing time.
5. Donovan Solano - .421/./450/.658 Donnie Barrels just keeps hitting. Hopefully, he continues to hit well this season and gets plenty of playing time. Not sure why so many 2nd basemen when there's Solano.
6. Mike Yastrzemski - .300/.349/.675 Its nice to see the starting right fielder looking hot going into the season. Just like Solano, he just keeps hitting.
7. Brandon Crawford - .306/.405/.556 Crawford's spring is an encouraging sign that his 2020 season rebound could continue into 2021.
8. Wilmer Flores - .265/.405/.529 More than Solano, Flores' playing time is hampered by the LaStella signing and a healthy Belt and Longoria. He's done nothing offensively to hurt himself. With LaStella possibly starting the season on the IL, he will gain the most playing time.
9. Jason Krizan - .306/.390/.528 Probably the most under reported story of the spring is this guy. A 31 year old outfielder signed to a minor league deal this past offseason, the Giants shifted him to 2nd base (he's played 63 games there across 9 minor league seasons), Krizan started spring hot and just kept hitting all spring. It will be interesting to see how he does in his 6 year in AAA. He hasn't hit well there prior to this year.
10. Buster Posey - .286/.423/.429 It is encouraging to see Posey make this list. After not playing at all in 2020, and not hitting well in 2019, there's some hope that he may look better in 2021.
Honorable Mentions: Curt Casali, Steven Duggar

Top 10 Worst:

1. Patrick Bailey - .077/.250/.077 Bailey seems to serve as a counter to Bart's breakout spring. Bailey clearly needs some more minor league playing time. The fact that he hasn't played professional ball yet showed in camp.
2. Marco Luciano - .138/.167/.207 Youngest player in camp and it showed. He's got confidence (borderline cocky, thinks he'll be ready for the big leagues in 2022. It would be cool if he's right).
3. Jaylin Davis - .200/.200/.400 Granted, he didn't get much of chance to compete (20 at bats all spring) but Davis didn't do anything to help himself. Had he forced the situation with a strong spring, maybe the FO wouldn't have been so googly eyed on Wade.
3. Logan Wyatt - .160/.250/.200 Another top hitting prospect who couldn't hit in camp. Hopefully he does better in San Jose or Eugene.
4. Arismendy Alcantara - .150/.346/.150 This is much more disappointing than the others above him, just because he's got major league experience, defensive versatility and was a one time top prospect. Hopefully, he can do better in AAA.
5. Will Wilson - .160/.208/.300 He got better towards the end of camp, but, like Bailey and Wyatt, hasn't played above short season ball. Class A teams are going to be loaded with offensive talent this year.
6. Darin Ruf - .190/.306/.286 With a spring like this, I wonder how tenuous his hold is on a roster spot. I have to think that if this production carries into the regular season, his leash may be short, especially if someone starts hot in AAA.
7. Joe McCarthy - .190/.292/.310 Just like with the pitcher list, this list has a guy who started hot and got very cold. McCarthy did himself no favors and may suffer from a numbers crunch for AAA outfielders.
8. LaMonte Wade, Jr. - .182/.294/.318 Despite his ranking on this list, he was one of the last position players to get reassigned from big league camp. To his credit, he was consistently bad, unlike McCarthy. Consistency is a good thing, right?
9. Tommy LaStella - .242/.324/.364 Not what you want to see from a guy who was signed for his bat. Again, spring training numbers, yada yada, so there's hope that this is just him getting adjusted to a new team. Hopefully, the knee contusion isn't a problem that necessitates a stint on the IL.
10. Chadwick Tromp - .280/.308/.400 A hot finish to spring moved Tromp from probably the upper 5 to the 10th spot on this list. And what is more encouraging is that his numbers aren't that bad and he's in the top 10 worst list.
Not enough at-bats: Luis Alexander Basabe, Ricardo Genoves, Brandon Belt, Hunter Bishop

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With spring training essentially over, here's my thoughts on the pitching staff:
Since Alex Wood is still ailing and Aaron Sanchez doesn't look ready, I think the Giants may start the season with a 4 man starting rotation consisting of Kevin Gausman, Johnny Cueto, Logan Webb and Anthony DeSclafani, until they get through the first couple of weeks. Then, they'll hope one of Wood/Sanchez is ready to go. Quite frankly, based on spring training numbers, I'm more excited about the back two than the front two.
As for the bullpen, I could see them loading up on 9 relief pitchers. We know that Jake McGee, Matt Wisler, Jarlin Garcia, Jose Alvarez and Reyes Moronta are guaranteed roster spots. I think that the bullpen will round out with Tyler Rogers, Dominic Leone, Zack Littell and Nick Tropeano.
With that, here's my list of the 10 best and 10 worst spring training performances (based on at least 3 appearances or 2 starts).
Top 10 Best:
1. Jake McGee - I wasn't that excited about his signing but, the way he's pitched this spring, I'm excited now. He managed to give up a mere 1 baserunner (on a hit) in 6.1 innings pitched, striking out 8!
2. Logan Webb - He's gone from possible number 5 starter early in the offseason to odd man out at the start of camp to number 3 starter at the end of camp. He's earned it, going 17 innings in 5 starts, giving up 1 run on 7 hits and 2 walks while striking out 22 batters. Way to go Logan!
3. Caleb Baragar - Baragar held his own in his debut season in 2020 but got lost in the flurry of pitching signings this offseason and spring. Rumored to have ask the FO to move him back to the rotation since he figured he was headed to AAA, he's been used exclusively in relief this spring. And he's looked good enough that he should make the team (6 innings, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 3 walks, 6 Ks) but will probably be one of the last guys to get sent down.
4. Anthony DeSclafani - It seems that the starting rotation may have at least one decent reclamation project in the former Red. He only got in 3 starts but looked progressively better in each one. He struck out 12 batters in 9.2 innings pitched, giving up 3 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks.
5. Dominic Leone - This guy looks like he may have pushed his way through the NRI door for an OP roster spot. He's also posted high strikeout numbers (13 in 8.2 innings) while also limiting runs (1, on 7 hits and 2 walks).
6. Camilo Doval - He hasn't gotten to pitch in over a week but he's looked good in 5 games (7 Ks, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 2 walks in 5 innings), yet he got optioned half way through. He should have gotten a longer look.
7. Silvino Bracho - I'd put him higher on this list, if not for one game he got knocked around. Outside of that, he's dominated - 12 Ks in 7.1 innings, with only 4 hits and 2 walks. However, 4 of those 6 baserunners scored, dooming him to a reassignment.
8. Shun Yamaguchi - Another signing I wasn't thrilled about but whom pitched better than I expected. He was shaky at first but put up some decent numbers in camp (6 innings, 6 Ks, 7 baserunners, 1 earned run). He got reassigned however, which was a bit surprising.
9. Tyler Rogers - Now we are getting into guys who were merely decent in spring. He's pitched better than what most probably expected of him but not as good as I think he could do. He only K'd 4 in 7.1 innings but limited baserunners to just 8 (6 hits, 2 walks) and gave up only 3 earned runs.
10. Matt Wisler - Another offseason signing, he was okay in camp. He did strike out 13 in 8.1 innings, and allowed only 2 earned runs, but also gave up 7 hits and 4 walks.
Honorable mention: Rico Garcia

Top 10 Worst:

1. Yunior Marte - Here is why spring training games go for a month, to properly evaluate what you have. Marte started off hot but got absolutely rocked in his last games. His stats? 6.1 innings, 7 Ks, 11 hits, 5 walks, 4 hit batters and 8 earned runs! With the minor league roster crunch, he could get let go before May 1st.
2. Aaron Sanchez - His performance is a strong reason I think the Giants will go with a 4 man rotation. He got in his first game late in camp and only made 2 starts. The results? 14 baserunners, 5 earned runs and 5 Ks in 5 innings pitched.
3. Jay Jackson - He got lit up in 3 early spring games (2 earned runs in 3 innings, with 4 hits, 3 walks and 2 strikeouts) and was reassigned early.
4. Sam Selman - Already threatened by the McGee and Jose Alvarez signings, he followed up a fine 2020 (albeit with a major meltdown at the end) with a horrible spring (2.25 WHIP, 9.45 ERA in 7 games). It appears he's already been dumped from the 40 man roster.
5. Johnny Cueto - This is going to a bit of a theme, so I'll say it here - Yes, I get that spring training numbers for established big leaguers are not too important, in general. However, when a guy has been out of action for over a year, and looked mediocre on his return last year, you want to see some encouraging numbers. Not so with Cueto. He got rocked for 8 earned runs, on the strength of 12 hits and 4 walks, with 9 strikeouts in 7.1 innings. It could be a long season.
6. Sam Wolff - Here's a guy who saw a slim chance slip away. In 5 games, he went 3.2 innings, giving up 7 hits, 1 walk, 3 earned runs with only 3 strikeouts.
7. Anthony Banda - Already a 40 man casualty, the Giants were able to keep him around and brought him in as an NRI. He looked bad, with a 7.94 ERA and 2.118 WHIP in 9 innings (with only 5 Ks to boot).
8. Dedniel Nunez - It almost feels bad to include him, with the TJ surgery killing his chances until 2022 at the earliest, but he didn't exactly look good before the injury. His 2.100 WHIP and 10.80 ERA, and lack of Ks (2 in 4 innings) was a signal that he would have been sent back to the Mets.
9. Scott Kazmir - A feel good seems to have a fairly typical ending, in that he was looked extremely rusty. He can still strike out a batter (11 in 8.2 innings) but he can also put the runners on base (14 hits and 4 walks). He's going to need some more time if he hopes to get back to the big leagues.
10. Jose Alvarez - I didn't understand this move when it happened and I'm even more puzzled now that spring is about over. He got a late start to pitching in games (I can only assume because he signed early in camp. I didn't hear of any injury issues) but got into 6 games and got knocked around to the tune of an 8.31 ERA and 2.077 WHIP. He does strike out batters (8 in 4.1 innings pitched) but so does about half of the 40 something pitchers in camp.
Dis-Honorable mentions: Reyes Moronta, Daniel Alvarez

It's going to be a rough year watching Cueto. Really encouraged by Webb and DeSclafani, though. Then with Gausman should hopefully be solid top 3. Ideally one of Wood/Sanchez works out, but not off to a great start. I have more faith in Wood to be effective when he's out there, but that's been a huge issue (staying healthy). Sanchez just hasn't been all that great in awhile on top of being hurt.

I do think the bullpen will be a strong point for the Giants this year. There's enough depth and various looks to keep teams off balance and arms fresh. They're going to get a lot of millage out of them this year since basically 40% of the rotation will be a complete dud most of the time.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be a rough year watching Cueto. Really encouraged by Webb and DeSclafani, though. Then with Gausman should hopefully be solid top 3. Ideally one of Wood/Sanchez works out, but not off to a great start. I have more faith in Wood to be effective when he's out there, but that's been a huge issue (staying healthy). Sanchez just hasn't been all that great in awhile on top of being hurt.

I do think the bullpen will be a strong point for the Giants this year. There's enough depth and various looks to keep teams off balance and arms fresh. They're going to get a lot of millage out of them this year since basically 40% of the rotation will be a complete dud most of the time.
Agree on Cueto, Webb and DeSclafani. I think there is going to be some regression with Gausman but I hope I'm wrong. I also think Wood has a better chance to be decent but needs to get healthy first.

I do think the bullpen will be better than last year but I'm not sold on Alvarez being an improvement over Selman or Peralta. Moronta looks rusty, hope its only that and he gets better quickly. McGee look really good and there should be some decent depth at AAA for injuries and ineffectiveness at the big league level. I really hope Rogers looks better this year. I want to see him succeed like he's done in the minor leagues.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on Cueto, Webb and DeSclafani. I think there is going to be some regression with Gausman but I hope I'm wrong. I also think Wood has a better chance to be decent but needs to get healthy first.

I do think the bullpen will be better than last year but I'm not sold on Alvarez being an improvement over Selman or Peralta. Moronta looks rusty, hope its only that and he gets better quickly. McGee look really good and there should be some decent depth at AAA for injuries and ineffectiveness at the big league level. I really hope Rogers looks better this year. I want to see him succeed like he's done in the minor leagues.

Yeah Gausman will be interesting to follow this year. I expect a mild regression, but even so I think he's still top-starter material.

Rogers basically had 2 bad games out of 29 (9 of his 14 ER came in the first week of the season). All the peripherals for him were great, I expect a good year out of him. I'm hoping for a short leash for Alvarez but I highly doubt it. I could see Moronta having a short leash in favor of Littell or one of the other non-roster arms. At least Moronta has options. I surprisingly have a lot of faith in the pen.

Speaking of which, looks like the Giants will carry FIVE lefties to open the season!! Alvarez, Garcia, Peralta, Barager, McGee. A bit odd. Makes the Alvarez deal more perplexing.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not final but this is what the MLB app has this morning:

1617184999168.png
1617185045328.png
1617185020149.png

Dammit no Ramos. I think it is a mistake. Time will tell.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From McCovey Chronicles:​

Starting pitchers

RHP Johnny Cueto
RHP Anthony DeSclafani
RHP Kevin Gausman
RHP Aaron Sanchez
RHP Logan Webb

Right-handed relievers

Reyes Moronta
Tyler Rogers
Matt Wisler

Left-handed relievers

José Álvarez
Caleb Baragar
Jarlín Garcia
Jake McGee
Wandy Peralta

Catchers

Curt Casali
Buster Posey

Infielders

Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford
Wilmer Flores
Tommy La Stella
Evan Longoria
Donovan Solano

Outfielders

Alex Dickerson
Darin Ruf
Austin Slater
Mike Yastrzemski

Utility

Mauricio Dubón

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Gausman will be interesting to follow this year. I expect a mild regression, but even so I think he's still top-starter material.

Rogers basically had 2 bad games out of 29 (9 of his 14 ER came in the first week of the season). All the peripherals for him were great, I expect a good year out of him. I'm hoping for a short leash for Alvarez but I highly doubt it. I could see Moronta having a short leash in favor of Littell or one of the other non-roster arms. At least Moronta has options. I surprisingly have a lot of faith in the pen.

Speaking of which, looks like the Giants will carry FIVE lefties to open the season!! Alvarez, Garcia, Peralta, Barager, McGee. A bit odd. Makes the Alvarez deal more perplexing.
Baragar earned that roster spot. Peralta did not. Not sure why the Giants would keep Peralta, given his spring performance, and not Selman. They were both bad and Peralta has never looked that good before this season. Alvarez never made sense. He's a pet of Kapler and, for some reason, the FO wanted him for that reason. No other team even offered him a big league deal, until the Giants early in spring training. Really weird.

Five lefties in the pen seems less wasteful with the new rules about pitching changes. However, I've not looked at those guys' splits, so I have no idea if this will backfire badly or not. As a lefthander myself, though, I say bravo SF!

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Five lefties in the pen seems less wasteful with the new rules about pitching changes. However, I've not looked at those guys' splits, so I have no idea if this will backfire badly or not. As a lefthander myself, though, I say bravo SF!
I write and draw lefty... I throw righty...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do everything right handed....

Except one activity, in which I am ambidextrous...