• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Offseason...Free Agency & Draft. How do you fill the holes?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upgrades needed all position groups.
Schmoopy still craves a fat run plugger and I remain convinced DB's are always a must for this league.

Could Dallas be a real player in FA or bargain box players again?
Elliott/Pollard situation?
Back Up QB? pay Rush the going rate for a proven NFL back up?
What Dallas free agents must be back beside Pollard?
Do we think Diggs will get ears and Dallas shakes the leaves for his brother?

THE DRAFT,
Can Will find two starters and another three strong contributors from this draft?
Your preferred 1st / 2nd round position group?
How pissed would you be if Dallas selected the Texas RB in round one?

What say you?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would tag or preferably sign Pollard long term he is coming off injury which make make him willing to take a cheaper deal. He has low tread on the tires. I would cut Zeke and still be fine with taking Robinson if he is their BPA.
If Pollard is signed long term I would franchise Schultz, if not, let him walk.
I would draft Hooker or Duggan in the 3rd round if they are there to be QB2 and let Rush walk. Extend Dak.
I would let the Cowboys draft BPA.
Cut Tyron. Sign Steele long term. Extend Martin.
Make one splash FA move. Either DT or WR
Fill the rest of the roster with their typical bargain basement FA's

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Payne and or Hopkins. If Jerry is serious about winning. Tag Pollard. Draft RB in second or third round, if a good one is there.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would tag or preferably sign Pollard long term he is coming off injury which make make him willing to take a cheaper deal. He has low tread on the tires. I would cut Zeke and still be fine with taking Robinson if he is their BPA.
If Pollard is signed long term I would franchise Schultz, if not, let him walk.
I would draft Hooker or Duggan in the 3rd round if they are there to be QB2 and let Rush walk. Extend Dak.
I would let the Cowboys draft BPA.
Cut Tyron. Sign Steele long term. Extend Martin.
Make one splash FA move. Either DT or WR
Fill the rest of the roster with their typical bargain basement FA's
you know the Eagles have their interior Lineman all as FA. 2 DTs & their center.
If they were dumb enough not to offer Hargrave enough money. Go steal that guy!

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a tight end beast like Kelce without the jerk attitude.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a tight end beast like Kelce without the jerk attitude.

gets dez bryant GIF

One more like him please

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be thrilled if Robinson was there and they took him but I wouldn't be pissed either. I tend to agree with the talent wonks... he could be really, really special. And from a salary fit, it would allow us to do some "things" elsewhere. Only decision to be made at that point would be franchising (or not) Pollard. No decision about Zeke. Move on.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The layups: I'm assuming we resign Hankins, Pollard, LVE, Steele and Rush or another QB.

The how much do they wants: Wilson was fantastic but we have two other safeties under contract so we can only go so high for him. I hope he signs a reasonable deal or he is likely gone and it will hurt our defense if he is. Schultz will come down to what he wants. Dak's play will suffer without him but you can only go so high for a TE that can't block and we have Ferguson and a blocking TE plus Hendershot can play a little too. McGovern is not a quality NFL starter but as a backup or a worst case scenario he has value on a team. Anthony Brown. A real tough one. I pass but it was clear the team was worse after he went down. Lewis has one more year and IMO you can only pick one of the two and you can't give Brown a $6M plus per year deal. I think Bland allows us to move on from Brown. Need another CB though if we lose Brown. Maybe Rhodes sticks as he looked OK and is likely cheap at this point. I think Mukuamu has a role in the secondary next year but not sure if it is as a CB or Safety. Hankins. for me personally is a layup resign so I put him there, but I'm not sure how the team feels. He did what we have needed and clearly helped this run defense. I'm assuming he is back and think it makes us a much, much better team.

The rest are all minor decisions IMO. Sam Williams and the team playing Micah mostly at an edge spot makes all the DEs expendable. If we go into the season with Micah, Tank, Armstrong and Williams we will be fine but we will of course have another one or two and preferably one who can get after the QB.

Cap space. There is no way I touch a penny of Dak's contract. It doesn't mean you have to move on from him but it gives you the chance to do so if you choose to a year from now, whereas restructuring or extending guarantees he is here for many more years and there is just no reason to lock that in right now. Move $12M of Martin's salary to a bonus and spread over the 4 years you already have some dead money in and that saves us $9M. If you need more the next stop is to straight out cut Zeke or Tyron or both. Cutting Zeke post 6/1 saves $10.9M this year and cutting Tyron saves $13.6M. That is plenty of cap space to operate with. There are other moves we can make as well if needed.

Free agency. Until we start treating free agency like the pot of gold it is we will not get any better. This teams inability to sign any big $ free agent just kills us year after year after year. It reeks of incompetence and a "we like our guys" attitude that has been proven an abject failure. I'd go after a big time DT to pair with our other guys. One who plays the run and also gets after the QB. Pressure up the middle is disruptive and causes turnovers and makes a guy like Micah that much better when a QB can't just step up and/or roll away every single play. One offensive lineman also needed but I suspect they go via the draft for this and also keep one or more of McGovern/Smith/Peters. I just don't know what you do at WR other than hope Gallup is healthier and better. CeeDee is a true #1 and we aren't spending big $'s on a FA WR. I guess you can look here early in the draft but there is no guarantee in that. We likely sign a TY type guy again but hopefully this year before the season starts. Kicker I have no idea what to do. Our guy was one of the best in the NFL and then immediately became the worst kicker I've seen in the biggest spots. The teams clear desire to not play Cox means we need a LB to go with LVE and Clark. We also need another CB in the mix depending on what we do with our guys. I'm fine with Diggs and Bland with Lewis in the slot but we need another depth player as well. Ideally we upgrade the spot across from Diggs and play Bland in the slot and Lewis as #4 but I don't see that happening in FA.

Most importantly we need to add an impact player. Football is the ultimate team game, but it's stars that make great teams and win SBs. Whether that be a stud DL to go along with Micah or a tackling machine LB or an offensive weapon almost doesn't even matter. You just need to get more stars on your team and that costs $. Do it Jones boys or stay in the back seat. There are only so many times McClay can offset your lack of doing anything at all in FA with good drafts.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be thrilled if Robinson was there and they took him but I wouldn't be pissed either. I tend to agree with the talent wonks... he could be really, really special. And from a salary fit, it would allow us to do some "things" elsewhere. Only decision to be made at that point would be franchising (or not) Pollard. No decision about Zeke. Move on.
After the way Pollard played last year I struggle to see how drafting a RB in round 1 is something anyone would be hoping for. He was as good in an increased role as he was in prior years with a backup role and maybe better. But, I'm a BPA guy so if that's Robinson, take him. Good players always help you win no matter the position and perhaps he helps the cap the next year if Pollard is tagged allowing us to move on. Never a bad thing to strengthen your running game. But, If we are hoping, I just prefer when BPA lines up better with one of our big needs and you can always find a #2 RB in FA for a relatively cheap deal or later one. An inside the tackle, short yardage and maybe a good pass protector would fit the bill nicely next to Pollard. Plus, do we really think Jerry is going to move on from Zeke? He holds out that irrational hope for "his guys" like I used to when I was 5 and was certain Graig Nettles will win the HR crown every year (he did once :thumb:)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The layups: I'm assuming we resign Hankins, Pollard, LVE, Steele and Rush or another QB.

The how much do they wants: Wilson was fantastic but we have two other safeties under contract so we can only go so high for him. I hope he signs a reasonable deal or he is likely gone and it will hurt our defense if he is. Schultz will come down to what he wants. Dak's play will suffer without him but you can only go so high for a TE that can't block and we have Ferguson and a blocking TE plus Hendershot can play a little too. McGovern is not a quality NFL starter but as a backup or a worst case scenario he has value on a team. Anthony Brown. A real tough one. I pass but it was clear the team was worse after he went down. Lewis has one more year and IMO you can only pick one of the two and you can't give Brown a $6M plus per year deal. I think Bland allows us to move on from Brown. Need another CB though if we lose Brown. Maybe Rhodes sticks as he looked OK and is likely cheap at this point. I think Mukuamu has a role in the secondary next year but not sure if it is as a CB or Safety. Hankins. for me personally is a layup resign so I put him there, but I'm not sure how the team feels. He did what we have needed and clearly helped this run defense. I'm assuming he is back and think it makes us a much, much better team.

The rest are all minor decisions IMO. Sam Williams and the team playing Micah mostly at an edge spot makes all the DEs expendable. If we go into the season with Micah, Tank, Armstrong and Williams we will be fine but we will of course have another one or two and preferably one who can get after the QB.

Cap space. There is no way I touch a penny of Dak's contract. It doesn't mean you have to move on from him but it gives you the chance to do so if you choose to a year from now, whereas restructuring or extending guarantees he is here for many more years and there is just no reason to lock that in right now. Move $12M of Martin's salary to a bonus and spread over the 4 years you already have some dead money in and that saves us $9M. If you need more the next stop is to straight out cut Zeke or Tyron or both. Cutting Zeke post 6/1 saves $10.9M this year and cutting Tyron saves $13.6M. That is plenty of cap space to operate with. There are other moves we can make as well if needed.

Free agency. Until we start treating free agency like the pot of gold it is we will not get any better. This teams inability to sign any big $ free agent just kills us year after year after year. It reeks of incompetence and a "we like our guys" attitude that has been proven an abject failure. I'd go after a big time DT to pair with our other guys. One who plays the run and also gets after the QB. Pressure up the middle is disruptive and causes turnovers and makes a guy like Micah that much better when a QB can't just step up and/or roll away every single play. One offensive lineman also needed but I suspect they go via the draft for this and also keep one or more of McGovern/Smith/Peters. I just don't know what you do at WR other than hope Gallup is healthier and better. CeeDee is a true #1 and we aren't spending big $'s on a FA WR. I guess you can look here early in the draft but there is no guarantee in that. We likely sign a TY type guy again but hopefully this year before the season starts. Kicker I have no idea what to do. Our guy was one of the best in the NFL and then immediately became the worst kicker I've seen in the biggest spots. The teams clear desire to not play Cox means we need a LB to go with LVE and Clark. We also need another CB in the mix depending on what we do with our guys. I'm fine with Diggs and Bland with Lewis in the slot but we need another depth player as well. Ideally we upgrade the spot across from Diggs and play Bland in the slot and Lewis as #4 but I don't see that happening in FA.

Most importantly we need to add an impact player. Football is the ultimate team game, but it's stars that make great teams and win SBs. Whether that be a stud DL to go along with Micah or a tackling machine LB or an offensive weapon almost doesn't even matter. You just need to get more stars on your team and that costs $. Do it Jones boys or stay in the back seat. There are only so many times McClay can offset your lack of doing anything at all in FA with good drafts.
The thing about not extending Dak is it turns into a bigger cap botch than his last negotiation. If we don't extend him, we won't get the $22 million in space this year, seriously changing the FA's we can retain/sign this season. He also has a no trade clause, and more importantly, a no franchise tag clause. So if he isn't extended now, it's going to be give him the $50 million per he will want in two years or let him walk for a comp pick. If that's the way we go, we need to think QB in round 1 or 2 this draft. For better or worse, I think the decision to extend him was made the day his deal was signed

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I have said for years I want a talented fat guy in the middle not a castoff or a retread.Hankins did play well for us though.
First off I am NOT touching Daks contract at all. A decision needs to be made without the $$ sitting in the balance.
I draft a QB in the 2-3 round to develop. QB Backup Cooper is ok depends on what he wants $$ wise. And for me it’s BPA in the draft now you have to consider need but if the BPA is way better than the need you have you go BPA it Is up to the coaches to get the talent on the field. Cowboys have enough needs that BPA should not be an issue.
Zeke is gone thanks and good luck & thanks but we are done. Pollard is tough with the injury but I try to sign him b4 FA if not I use the non exclusive franchise tag. I let Schultz walk he is not worth the $$$.
Tyron Smith is maybe my swing this year then it’s time to move on. McGovern well I think we can do better in the Draft or FA.
JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about not extending Dak is it turns into a bigger cap botch than his last negotiation. If we don't extend him, we won't get the $22 million in space this year, seriously changing the FA's we can retain/sign this season. He also has a no trade clause, and more importantly, a no franchise tag clause. So if he isn't extended now, it's going to be give him the $50 million per he will want in two years or let him walk for a comp pick. If that's the way we go, we need to think QB in round 1 or 2 this draft. For better or worse, I think the decision to extend him was made the day his deal was signed
And Jerry and Stephen will think just like this and basically guarantee Dak is the QB for the next 5ish years which is what you do if you restructure him. He's already got $20M in dead money AFTER the contract ends even if he plays it out. Restructuring him doubles that and puts him in a position of incredible strength if you do decide to resign him once his contract is up. I didn't see a QB this past year that I think we have to lock ourselves into for 3 to 5 (maybe 7?) more years when we have other options. :2cents:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Jerry and Stephen will think just like this and basically guarantee Dak is the QB for the next 5ish years which is what you do if you restructure him. He's already got $20M in dead money AFTER the contract ends even if he plays it out. Restructuring him doubles that and puts him in a position of incredible strength if you do decide to resign him once his contract is up. I didn't see a QB this past year that I think we have to lock ourselves into for 3 to 5 (maybe 7?) more years when we have other options. :2cents:
I hear you, but imagine Dak's negotiating strength if we don't extend him now, and we are sitting there in 2 years with no replacement and we can't franchise him. Jerry might panic again and give him insane money.
I'm not saying you're wrong. But if we go the route of not extending, I would love to see us draft Hendon Hooker out of Tennessee. He isn't getting the run of the top 3 guys but I think he may end up being the best QB in this class. We just can't be standing there in 2 years with our junk in our hand

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I disagree and would not think about touching his contract. Dak is a solid citizen and a great guy on the team but for me this Is a dollars and cents and a football decision. It gives you options that’s all and if they have to pay for those options so be it but adding to the already dead cap hit he has when his contract is done just won’t cut it for me.

QB money is crazy and you have to look at the complete team picture and decide if you’re willing to play or fold and wait for the next shuffle. I’m not hating on Dak just looking at the reality of his contract.and what restructuring would do. Adding to the mistakes of the last contract is not prudent IMO.

On this round of Cowboys hold-em I already paid the big blind ante ( signing bonus) saw my cards made my bet “ Daks contract” saw the flop (3 open cards on the table / Daks play so far) and I’m folding for the next round and not betting on the (turn/ this years season) and watching how the hand “ year ” plays out. Money is already paid and by folding and watching my options are paid for. That’s my Cowboys gamble
JMHO

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you, but imagine Dak's negotiating strength if we don't extend him now, and we are sitting there in 2 years with no replacement and we can't franchise him. Jerry might panic again and give him insane money.
I'm not saying you're wrong. But if we go the route of not extending, I would love to see us draft Hendon Hooker out of Tennessee. He isn't getting the run of the top 3 guys but I think he may end up being the best QB in this class. We just can't be standing there in 2 years with our junk in our hand
Oh I agree we should be drafting a young QB every 2 years to develop and flip if nothing else IMO round 3ish depending on who may fall

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... I draft a QB in the 2-3 round to develop...
Couldn't agree more, man. No reason not to and if QB1 is "uncomfortable" as a result, then I'm OK with it. It's a results oriented business as a former coach here used to say and if that moves the incumbent forward in his development then I'm cool with that happening.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more, man. No reason not to and if QB1 is "uncomfortable" as a result, then I'm OK with it. It's a results oriented business as a former coach here used to say and if that moves the incumbent forward in his development then I'm cool with that happening.
100% agree

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we winning a SB with Dak knowing that Jerry and Stephen aren't going anywhere and the other weaknesses on this team and knowing how he has been more inconsistent than your average "franchise" QB? If you think yes, you should not only be fine with restructuring or even extending him. but you should be screaming for it. If you aren't sure (I am in this group) then I don't see why we are worried about his next contract right now when there are other ways to get under the cap and he is still under contract for 2 more years. If you think no we aren't winning a SB with him then you should just be looking to get rid of his contract and that starts with ticking away the future year's cap hit.

On your comment about his next contract, you have it backwards. Dak has us over a barrel if there is a lot of dead cap money when his contract runs out which limits what else we can do and ties us to him. The less dead money the more flexibility you have. There have been starting QBs available every year lately. I think it is safe to say there will be one in two years but even if there isn't, I go back to a player being part of the solution to winning you a SB or part of the problem and I'm not confident Dak is part of the solution right now so I'm not locking him in for the long term by extending or restructuring him. Hopefully a year from now the answer is clearer. Right now Dak has $20M in dead cap space. If we restructure him the next two years he will have like $60M or more. That would be disastrous. The other option is extending him but we already have him for 2 years. Based on past history he is going to want a 4 or 5 year extension. So that means he is the QB for the next 7 or so years. At $50M per you better be sure before you sign that deal