• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Offseason...Free Agency & Draft. How do you fill the holes?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I'm reading that right, they could offer him a little over $4 million and it would be about the same savings as cutting him minus the dead cap?
His current 2023 cap hit with no changes would be $16.7M. If they designate him a post 6/1 cut it gives them maximum savings of $10.9M against the cap and his 2023 cap hit would be lowered to $5.8M. So a $4M salary gives him a $9.8M cap hit which reduces that savings to $6.9M. This would leave another $6M which would hit the cap in 2024.

the scenario you are probably referring to is a pre 6/1 cut but they won’t do that. If they cut him today and don’t designate him a post 6/1 cut all of his dead money hits in 2023 and his cap hit would be $11.86M which is a savings of $4.8M. So a salary of $4.8M will be a wash. But again the comparison would be to the post 6/1 scenario.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys are currently $7.6M over the cap next year which is around the middle of the pack. cutting Zeke and Tyron as post 6/1 cuts saves them $24.5M and leaves them $17M under the cap. Restructuring Martin (assuming $12M and dividing over 4 years) creates another $9M in cap space and would leave them $26M under the cap without touching Dak’s contract. this gives them a ton of room to operate and sign players. Any free agents or extensions are always backloaded and wouldn’t likely have a huge impact on year 1.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jones stays in GB accepting a 5M cap reduction. 16M is now 11M. What is Zeke making this coming season and what reduction would be acceptable?
100% pay reduction and a heartfelt Thank you. But Jerry is Jerry so who knows

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% pay reduction and a heartfelt Thank you. But Jerry is Jerry so who knows
That's the point...Jerry.

Does not matter better caps guys post here. Jerry ain't cutting Elliott. I'd like to see Elliott reduced to 5 or 6M salary.
I think Elliott still has value but that's just me.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys are currently $7.6M over the cap next year which is around the middle of the pack. cutting Zeke and Tyron as post 6/1 cuts saves them $24.5M and leaves them $17M under the cap. Restructuring Martin (assuming $12M and dividing over 4 years) creates another $9M in cap space and would leave them $26M under the cap without touching Dak’s contract. this gives them a ton of room to operate and sign players. Any free agents or extensions are always backloaded and wouldn’t likely have a huge impact on year 1.
I think they extend Dak and gain $22 million this year as well. They could franchise Pollard, extend Steele and Diggs to big deals and still have money to load up this year. If they went out and added an impact WR and a DT while bringing most of their core, and have a solid draft, they would be legitimate SB contenders instead of pretenders for the first time in a minute

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point...Jerry.

Does not matter better caps guys post here. Jerry ain't cutting Elliott. I'd like to see Elliott reduced to 5 or 6M salary.
I think Elliott still has value but that's just me.
At 4-5 million it’s a wash for 1 season so I could see it but I draft a RB

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they extend Dak and gain $22 million this year as well. They could franchise Pollard, extend Steele and Diggs to big deals and still have money to load up this year. If they went out and added an impact WR and a DT while bringing most of their core, and have a solid draft, they would be legitimate SB contenders instead of pretenders for the first time in a minute
You could be right on a Dak extension but I hope they don’t, has nothing to do with Dak personally but it gives $$$$ options and like my poker analogy.
I have paid the ante and seen the card flop I’m not betting on the turn or the river. I am Folding and waiting for the next hand shuffle. The money is already spent eat it now and open up for later even if you stay with Dak and it’s more expensive later it’s the smarter move IMO

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I'm reading that right, they could offer him a little over $4 million and it would be about the same savings as cutting him minus the dead cap?
yeah, but then you fire your agent if they do that.
take a small discount where your cap figure still above the dead cap but not enough to worry about cutting the player.
That way the only way the Cowboys cut him, is if they think they actually dont need him at all. We may keep him with no discount. Although the next year he will be gone regardless IMO. The savings will be to huge.
2024 as it is now. cap hit 14.32m. Dead would be 6.04m.
We will probably draft a RB this year or next. I would figure next year though.
Think there is a pretty decent chance they run with Pollard & Zeke this year. & let him go the next.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but then you fire your agent if they do that.
take a small discount where your cap figure still above the dead cap but not enough to worry about cutting the player.
That way the only way the Cowboys cut him, is if they think they actually dont need him at all. We may keep him with no discount. Although the next year he will be gone regardless IMO. The savings will be to huge.
2024 as it is now. cap hit 14.32m. Dead would be 6.04m.
We will probably draft a RB this year or next. I would figure next year though.
Think there is a pretty decent chance they run with Pollard & Zeke this year. & let him go the next.
I kind of wonder what Zeke's role will be as the Cowboys move towards a WC offense. Is he the new FB?. Pollard for sure is getting the tag. Pollard is not just a RB. He is an explosive playmaker and those types get paid a lot of money in this league.

I get the feeling that the Cowboys move on from Zeke. Jerry paid Zeke a ton of money and the return on the investment was not worth it. The same thing happened after they signed Dez Bryant to that huge deal

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise tag window: February 28 to March 7
Free Agency opens March 15. (negotiating period starts March 13)

gotta tag Pollard.
still wonder if a WR splash addition is possible March 15...I kinda want Jerry reactionary now. :scratch:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the Titans cut 3 good players yesterday. I think with so many teams, there is going to be a lot of that going on around the league. Hopefully that increased pool will help us fill some holes on the cheap

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the freaking Eagles go out and get Wagner.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Jones for Antoney Brown?
both coming back from injury...Jones missed all of 22
Byron Jones

• Jones' 2023 cap number: $18,351,000
  • Jones' dead cap number: $14,804,000
  • Dolphins' estimated cap space: -$16,377,201
Vic Fangio's defenses are always among my favorites to track, and while I am sure he'd like to have prime Jones as a key weapon, the Dolphins' freshly minted DC doesn't need that expensive of an asset to yield exceptional results -- especially considering the cover man just missed the entire 2022 campaign following ankle/Achilles surgery.

Miami is in the bottom quarter of the league when it comes to cap space -- or, in the Dolphins' current case, a lack thereof. While Jones' dead-cap figure would prevent the team from clearing up a ton of money with an outright release, maybe a pay cut is in the cards.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Wagner is getting cut. Man, talk about shoring up the run defense...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upgrades needed all position groups.
Schmoopy still craves a fat run plugger and I remain convinced DB's are always a must for this league.

Could Dallas be a real player in FA or bargain box players again?
Elliott/Pollard situation?
Back Up QB? pay Rush the going rate for a proven NFL back up?
What Dallas free agents must be back beside Pollard?
Do we think Diggs will get ears and Dallas shakes the leaves for his brother?

THE DRAFT,
Can Will find two starters and another three strong contributors from this draft?
Your preferred 1st / 2nd round position group?
How pissed would you be if Dallas selected the Texas RB in round one?

What say you?
I'm in the FAT run stopper group. I believe a great DLine can be a godsend to DB's