• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Offseason...Free Agency & Draft. How do you fill the holes?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we winning a SB with Dak knowing that Jerry and Stephen aren't going anywhere and the other weaknesses on this team and knowing how he has been more inconsistent than your average "franchise" QB? If you think yes, you should not only be fine with restructuring or even extending him. but you should be screaming for it. If you aren't sure (I am in this group) then I don't see why we are worried about his next contract right now when there are other ways to get under the cap and he is still under contract for 2 more years. If you think no we aren't winning a SB with him then you should just be looking to get rid of his contract and that starts with ticking away the future year's cap hit.
I don't know man.... seems to me, many cowboy fans have worried about the cap management for all the years I've been posting on football opinion boards. We still sit here spinning caps numbers while two consecutive playoffs wins has escaped this team ever since the cap came in existence. Maybe because of where I am in life, winning playoff games is the only thing that matters. Shoot, be the 21 Rams Jerry,

Dak pissed me off like no other this season, but did last season define him as never being good enough to win in the playoffs?

Jerry is extending Dak, that much is a done deal. We can debate it, but you & I know that is going to happen.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be thrilled if Robinson was there and they took him but I wouldn't be pissed either. I tend to agree with the talent wonks... he could be really, really special. And from a salary fit, it would allow us to do some "things" elsewhere. Only decision to be made at that point would be franchising (or not) Pollard. No decision about Zeke. Move on.
Barring injury...Robinson is going to be a star NFL RB. I don't think we need round one RB but Jerry is reactionary...depends on the two we had last year. Pollard should get the tag unless he'll take 25 for 3years and that does not seem very likely to me.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man.... seems to me, many cowboy fans have worried about the cap management for all the years I've been posting on football opinion boards. We still sit here spinning caps numbers while two consecutive playoffs wins has escaped this team ever since the cap came in existence. Maybe because of where I am in life, winning playoff games is the only thing that matters. Shoot, be the 21 Rams Jerry,

Dak pissed me off like no other this season, but did last season define him as never being good enough to win in the playoffs?

Jerry is extending Dak, that much is a done deal. We can debate it, but you & I know that is going to happen.
I don't disagree for a minute that Jerry is going to restructure Dak. I wouldn't do it, but I don't run the Cowboys. Also, on the "21 Rams", I'm all for that or at least moving more towards that. But, we don't need to restructure Dak to do it and the 21 Rams brought in a new QB to push them over the top. I'm not saying Dak will never be good enough to win. I'm saying right now I'm not sure if he is or not and if you restructure/extend you better be sure because he is yours for up to another decade once you do that. There are plenty of other contracts to go after to get under the cap and create space for free agents.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we winning a SB with Dak knowing that Jerry and Stephen aren't going anywhere and the other weaknesses on this team and knowing how he has been more inconsistent than your average "franchise" QB? If you think yes, you should not only be fine with restructuring or even extending him. but you should be screaming for it. If you aren't sure (I am in this group) then I don't see why we are worried about his next contract right now when there are other ways to get under the cap and he is still under contract for 2 more years. If you think no we aren't winning a SB with him then you should just be looking to get rid of his contract and that starts with ticking away the future year's cap hit.

On your comment about his next contract, you have it backwards. Dak has us over a barrel if there is a lot of dead cap money when his contract runs out which limits what else we can do and ties us to him. The less dead money the more flexibility you have. There have been starting QBs available every year lately. I think it is safe to say there will be one in two years but even if there isn't, I go back to a player being part of the solution to winning you a SB or part of the problem and I'm not confident Dak is part of the solution right now so I'm not locking him in for the long term by extending or restructuring him. Hopefully a year from now the answer is clearer. Right now Dak has $20M in dead cap space. If we restructure him the next two years he will have like $60M or more. That would be disastrous. The other option is extending him but we already have him for 2 years. Based on past history he is going to want a 4 or 5 year extension. So that means he is the QB for the next 7 or so years. At $50M per you better be sure before you sign that deal

Time will tell when it comes to Dak. I will make the argument that the Cowboys seemed to run the same plays over and over . It's easier to pick a ball off if you know where the reciever will be. Some of those picks were unlucky as well,but not all. But there were really no excuses for those picks vs the Niners. Those were bad plays by Dak. I won't be shocked if the Cowboys draft a reciever in round one . Gallup was not good in 2022. Way too many dropped passes and he got no separation. It was obviously a one man show with Cee Dee. No help from the others . iMO Hilton should have started over Gallup. Gallup was not the same player and may never be.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring injury...Robinson is going to be a star NFL RB. I don't think we need round one RB but Jerry is reactionary...depends on the two we had last year. Pollard should get the tag unless he'll take 25 for 3years and that does not seem very likely to me.
Buyer beware when it comes to drafting Running backs in round one .

Robinson is very impressive,but so was Zeke at Ohio State. There is a big difference between pick #4 and #26.though . In Hindsight they should have drafted Ramsey in 2016

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robinson is very impressive,but so was Zeke at Ohio State. There is a big difference between pick #4 and #26.though . In Hindsight they should have drafted Ramsey in 2016
I like the idea of Robinson or even the Alabama RB here paired with Pollard and then let Pollard go if the rookie is shows he can be a bell cow. Those two kids can catch the ball as well. That's gonna be important in McCarthys west coast scheme. A lot more RB screens, which I think will be a welcome addition

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gets dez bryant GIF

One more like him please
Yep!!!

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And could have had Henrey in the second.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of Robinson or even the Alabama RB here paired with Pollard and then let Pollard go if the rookie is shows he can be a bell cow. Those two kids can catch the ball as well. That's gonna be important in McCarthys west coast scheme. A lot more RB screens, which I think will be a welcome addition
That would be good. I think it would be stupid to bring Zeke back at a discount. Bring in fresh legs at RB. As far as Pollard goes I franchise him and work out 3-4 year deal. Pollard can be much more that just a running back. His acceleration is crazy AF. We had an OC that just kept running the same stupid ass plays over and over. The better OCs look to create mismatches and then exploit. Moore was not that way . It was all the "system" with him. Pollard was not used properly the entire time Moore was OC.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree for a minute that Jerry is going to restructure Dak. I wouldn't do it, but I don't run the Cowboys. Also, on the "21 Rams", I'm all for that or at least moving more towards that. But, we don't need to restructure Dak to do it and the 21 Rams brought in a new QB to push them over the top. I'm not saying Dak will never be good enough to win. I'm saying right now I'm not sure if he is or not and if you restructure/extend you better be sure because he is yours for up to another decade once you do that. There are plenty of other contracts to go after to get under the cap and create space for free agents.
I understand what you post and you're 100% right. Shoot, after the years posting with you, we'd have two championships if Jerry followed your cap advise.

But...this is Jerry. That's all I'm saying about Dak's extension.

In for a penny, in for pound.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jones stays in GB accepting a 5M cap reduction. 16M is now 11M. What is Zeke making this coming season and what reduction would be acceptable?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jones stays in GB accepting a 5M cap reduction. 16M is now 11M. What is Zeke making this coming season and what reduction would be acceptable?
his base is 10.9m. Cap hit is 16.72m. If cut his dead cap would be 11.86m

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the club would be better off cutting him, but I think they will offer him a number that isn't insulting like $4-5 million. He would be wise to swallow his pride and accept it

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his base is 10.9m. Cap hit is 16.72m. If cut his dead cap would be 11.86m
So if I'm reading that right, they could offer him a little over $4 million and it would be about the same savings as cutting him minus the dead cap?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3