• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 MLB Trade Deadline

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this is almost worse than nothing because Pollock is a bum who won't help and now he can say he did something.

There better be more.
Giants need an offseason to get better. They really only have one bad contract in Haniger which is 32 mill over the next 2 seasons. Rogers at 24 for the next 2 seasons is not great - but not terrible.

Stripling, Manaea, DeScalfini are all reasonable-- when you dont develop pitching you have to pay these kinda guys I guess.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants need an offseason to get better. They really only have one bad contract in Haniger which is 32 mill over the next 2 seasons. Rogers at 24 for the next 2 seasons is not great - but not terrible.

Stripling, Manaea, DeScalfini are all reasonable-- when you dont develop pitching you have to pay these kinda guys I guess.
Your opinions on the Giants are of the same quality as your opinions on the Warriors

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opinions on the Giants are of the same quality as your opinions on the Warriors
they basically have no high end talent beside Webb. They need a lot of help. They have some decent guys.....not really many decent cheap guys.

DeScalfini, Manaea and Stripling are making about 36 mill combined and none are, at best, better than league average. Be better to develop some decent guys than pay those 3 the cost of a big time starter to be , especially this year, below average.

who on the Giants are the building blocks?

Webb def. a building block

Wade Jr. has okay stats- but notvery ideal for 1B

Estraida is okay....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they basically have no high end talent beside Webb. They need a lot of help.
They have the best bullpen in the National League you nincompoop. But they do need help.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the best bullpen in the National League you nincompoop. But they do need help.
lol bullpen

yah- thats gonna mean a lot against the Dodgers, Pads and Diamonbacks.

who is a building block on that team? Wood has had a solid rebound year- but hes a free agent.

Maneaa, Stripling and DeScalfini all are signed for next season and all are okay. Nothing special.

There is not one hitter on the team that is scary.

Estraida, Wade Jr., Conforto, Flores....all decent- I guess.

They need a lot. Bullpen's come and go to. Rogers was kinda mediocre last year....really good this year.....making 12M a year to set up.

Its such a weird team that is paying guys good money but nothing crazy to just be mediocre.

most teams pay stars, and develop other guys on the cheap. San Fran is one of the weirdest payrolls in baseball where they just pay for a lot of pretty decent players.

Just saying- I wouldnt want to have almost 70 mill in payroll next year devoted to Rogers, Manaea, DeScalfini, Haniger,, Stripling.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol bullpen

yah- thats gonna mean a lot against the Dodgers, Pads and Diamonbacks.

who is a building block on that team? Wood has had a solid rebound year- but hes a free agent.

Maneaa, Stripling and DeScalfini all are signed for next season and all are okay. Nothing special.

There is not one hitter on the team that is scary.

Estraida, Wade Jr., Conforto, Flores....all decent- I guess.

They need a lot. Bullpen's come and go to. Rogers was kinda mediocre last year....really good this year.....making 12M a year to set up.

Its such a weird team that is paying guys good money but nothing crazy to just be mediocre.

most teams pay stars, and develop other guys on the cheap. San Fran is one of the weirdest payrolls in baseball where they just pay for a lot of pretty decent players.

Just saying- I wouldnt want to have almost 70 mill in payroll next year devoted to Rogers, Manaea, DeScalfini, Haniger,, Stripling.
Some of this is accurate. Never said they were a juggernaut. Yeah they need stuff. Need a legit stud hitter and one more starter.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of this is accurate. Never said they were a juggernaut. Yeah they need stuff. Need a legit stud hitter and one more starter.
it usually seems they do better than the sum of their parts though.

I liked Harrison a lot coming into this year - though he could have be a solid high end #2 eventuallybut he has kinda fallen off. Crazy - seems Luciano has been on prospect lists for yearsand he is only 21...... def a team that prefers to play vets.

Flores is a nice contract. I just hate when you have to pay mediocre starting pitchers decent money.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it usually seems they do better than the sum of their parts though.

I liked Harrison a lot coming into this year - though he could have be a solid high end #2 eventuallybut he has kinda fallen off. Crazy - seems Luciano has been on prospect lists for yearsand he is only 21...... def a team that prefers to play vets.

Flores is a nice contract.
Flores is literally the only (healthy) hitter doing his job.

But you're too focused on contracts. Yeah bad ones are bad good ones are good but the Giants don't have to pinch pennies so that isn't as important.

You gotta remember old timer, the game has changed and bullpens matter like never before. With starters not even starting many games, or going 5 if they're lucky (no facing hitters a 3rd time!), they can make the playoffs with the bullpen being their best part.

They're doing pretty good in a much tougher conference than, say, the AL Central. Overall I'm enjoying this year after the last one, just frustrated by injuries to their only good hitters (like Estrada and Yaz) and if FZ doesn't get a legit bat and a #3/4 starter type tomorrow I'm gonna be pissed.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you're too focused on contracts. Yeah bad ones are bad good ones are good but the Giants don't have to pinch pennies so that isn't as important.

You gotta remember old timer, the game has changed and bullpens matter like never before. With starters not even starting many games, or going 5 if they're lucky (no facing hitters a 3rd time!), they can make the playoffs with the bullpen being their best part.

They're doing pretty good in a much tougher conference than, say, the AL Central. Overall I'm enjoying this year after the last one, just frustrated by injuries to their only good hitters (like Estrada and Yaz) and if FZ doesn't get a legit bat and a #3/4 starter type tomorrow I'm gonna be pissed.

they are 6th in bullpen era- behind the Guardians according to this (maybe it didnt take into account today?) and the only team in the top6 of record is the Braves.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diamondbacks acquired INF/OF Jace Peterson and cash considerations from the Athletics for RHP Chad Patrick.
The Diamondbacks will take on the remaining $4.5 million on his salary for the 2023 season, while the A’s will cover $2 million of the $5 million that he’s owed for the 2024 season. The versatile 33-year-old has hit .221/.313/.324 with six homers, 28 RBI and 11 stolen bases in 324 plate appearances on the season. He’ll fill a role similar to what Josh Rojas had been doing for the Diamondbacks before he was shipped off to the Mariners in the Paul Sewald deal on Monday.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs acquired RHP José Cuas from the Royals for OF Nelson Velásquez.
The 29-year-old hurler has compiled a 4.54 ERA, 1.61 WHIP and a 52/21 K/BB ratio over 41 2/3 innings in 45 appearances out of the Royals’ bullpen. He’s expected to function in a middle relief role for the Cubs.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds acquired LHP Sam Moll and international bonus pool money from the Athletics for RHP Joe Boyle.
The 31-year-old southpaw has done a serviceable job for the A’s this season, registering a 4.54 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and a 46/19 K/BB ratio across 37 2/3 innings of work. He’ll give the Reds bullpen additional depth from the left side.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
last day will red sox do anything?:suds:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He’s focused on contract because he’s a fan of a small market club that can’t buy their way out of bad deals and swallow bad money like a team with a payroll like the Giants can. He projects that everybody is the same small market squad his is.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's about more than just 3 measly games.

For 360 million dollars, they should be hanging with Tampa, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, LAD, Texas. Instead they're chumping it up with White Sox, Pirates, Cardinals, and Rockies. Cohen gambled on the mid-90's Yankees strategy, and it failed.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's about more than just 3 measly games.

For 360 million dollars, they should be hanging with Tampa, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, LAD, Texas. Instead they're chumping it up with White Sox, Pirates, Cardinals, and Rockies. Cohen gambled on the mid-90's Yankees strategy, and it failed.
Mid 90s Yankees had a lot of homegrown talent actually

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss

Guardians Could Look To Add Another Starter​

By Steve Adams | August 1, 2023 at 10:23am CDT

The Guardians traded their most established healthy starter to the Rays yesterday, sending righty Aaron Civale to Tampa Bay in exchange for top first base prospect Kyle Manzardo. However, while many imagined that to be something of a white flag on their 2023 season, the team views things differently. President of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said following the trade last night that the Guardians could now replace Civale’s innings with an acquisition from outside the organization (link via Mandy Bell of MLB.com).
“We do believe we will be able to address that void both through our internal options and potentially maybe even with some external acquisitions … [that] might transpire between now and the end of the day tomorrow,” said Antonetti.
That may sound perplexing to some onlookers, but it’s a sensible enough approach to take. The Guardians have long been in the market for controllable offensive talent, and Manzardo is among the best pure hitting prospects in the game. He’s currently mending from a shoulder injury, but his plate discipline, at least average power and excellent bat-to-ball skills fit the Guardians’ mold. The Civale trade largely amounted to capitalizing on a thin market for controllable pitching, adding six-plus years of a young hitter who’ll help in the long run at the expense of some already shaky 2023 playoff hopes and two additional years of control over Civale.
Adding a lower-cost starter, perhaps a rental arm, to backfill the rotation could offset some of the present-day value lost by trading Civale. The Guardians are hopeful of getting Cal Quantrill back before too long and could have Shane Bieber return at some point in the season’s final month. They’ve already added one veteran, Noah Syndergaard, to help take some of the pressure off young arms like Tanner Bibee, Gavin Williams and Logan Allen. A similar acquisition could replace some of Civale’s innings — and that might be all the Guardians need to stay afloat in an awful AL Central division. Neither Minnesota nor Cleveland has stepped up and run away with the division, despite the fact that three of baseball’s six worst records are floundering below them in the standings.
While a good bit of the starting pitching expected to change hands this summer has already done so, there are still some veteran options available. Pirates lefty Rich Hill is playing on an affordable one-year deal. Cardinals righty Jack Flaherty and Tigers righty Michael Lorenzen are perhaps the two highest-profile pure rentals left on the market. The Mets would surely move old friend Carlos Carrasco as well, though he’s struggling quite a bit in 2023. Teammate Jose Quintana, signed through 2024 at $13MM per year, has also been mentioned as a possible trade candidate. The Giants have reportedly garnered interest in their pitching depth, and someone like Alex Wood could make sense to help fill out Cleveland’s rotation.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss

Guardians Could Look To Add Another Starter​

By Steve Adams | August 1, 2023 at 10:23am CDT

The Guardians traded their most established healthy starter to the Rays yesterday, sending righty Aaron Civale to Tampa Bay in exchange for top first base prospect Kyle Manzardo. However, while many imagined that to be something of a white flag on their 2023 season, the team views things differently. President of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said following the trade last night that the Guardians could now replace Civale’s innings with an acquisition from outside the organization (link via Mandy Bell of MLB.com).
“We do believe we will be able to address that void both through our internal options and potentially maybe even with some external acquisitions … [that] might transpire between now and the end of the day tomorrow,” said Antonetti.
That may sound perplexing to some onlookers, but it’s a sensible enough approach to take. The Guardians have long been in the market for controllable offensive talent, and Manzardo is among the best pure hitting prospects in the game. He’s currently mending from a shoulder injury, but his plate discipline, at least average power and excellent bat-to-ball skills fit the Guardians’ mold. The Civale trade largely amounted to capitalizing on a thin market for controllable pitching, adding six-plus years of a young hitter who’ll help in the long run at the expense of some already shaky 2023 playoff hopes and two additional years of control over Civale.
Adding a lower-cost starter, perhaps a rental arm, to backfill the rotation could offset some of the present-day value lost by trading Civale. The Guardians are hopeful of getting Cal Quantrill back before too long and could have Shane Bieber return at some point in the season’s final month. They’ve already added one veteran, Noah Syndergaard, to help take some of the pressure off young arms like Tanner Bibee, Gavin Williams and Logan Allen. A similar acquisition could replace some of Civale’s innings — and that might be all the Guardians need to stay afloat in an awful AL Central division. Neither Minnesota nor Cleveland has stepped up and run away with the division, despite the fact that three of baseball’s six worst records are floundering below them in the standings.
While a good bit of the starting pitching expected to change hands this summer has already done so, there are still some veteran options available. Pirates lefty Rich Hill is playing on an affordable one-year deal. Cardinals righty Jack Flaherty and Tigers righty Michael Lorenzen are perhaps the two highest-profile pure rentals left on the market. The Mets would surely move old friend Carlos Carrasco as well, though he’s struggling quite a bit in 2023. Teammate Jose Quintana, signed through 2024 at $13MM per year, has also been mentioned as a possible trade candidate. The Giants have reportedly garnered interest in their pitching depth, and someone like Alex Wood could make sense to help fill out Cleveland’s rotation.
yah- a few days ago I mentioned Hill and Carrasco as alternatives.

Wood has been pretty good for San Fran and they are still in it so I doubt they deal him.

Lorenzen and ERod on the Tigers are both gonna get dealt but I get the feeling Detroit wants to package them for a pretty substantial package. I bet they are both dealt to Baltimore.

Flaherty might be an option but I get the feeling he might cost more in prospects than the Guardians want to give up.

Hill and Carrasco are budget bargain bin low level---- but they would give innings and I think - especially Carrasco- could get a step up from being back here and having Francona manage him again.