• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots News

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a hysterical program yesterday. The Boston talking heads were all agog about who the Patriots should be trying to draft and trades and this guy came on and flushed the conversation with ice water.

Comment #1. "If I was an owner or prospective owner, there are the places where I would never purchase a team. New York, Philadlphia or Boton. Those three cities have the most obnoxious media in the country. You all sit here and make your thoughts knows as if you have all of the expertise in the country and not one of you even played college ball." Dead silence "In December you had a favorite, changed it in January, again in February and your doing it again in March. You're like surfers looking for a wave on a lake." It was the best put down I've ever seen on TV.

Comment #2. "I've known Bill Belichick for more than 30 years. He is the most intense planner I've ever met or seen. You sit here and get angry because you have nothing else to do. Believe me, Belichick has at least twenty fall back plans for free agency and the draft. He has already made his decisions about who he wants to go after in free agency and what happens if he doesn't get his first, second or third choice."

Comment #3. " Why in God's name would you even expect Bill to even suggest one thing that he planned to you? If he told you that it was in confidence, you'd never be able to keep a secret because being the first to report it would be more critical than keeping it to yourself. The best thing that you all can do is say emphatically, 'In my opinion'. Don't expect anything and enjoy what does happen on March 17th."

When they tried to corner him as to what he thought BB would do, he just said, "I never predict what anyone else will do. It would upset my friends and the peeople that I would be predicting about. Predicting is really telling other what you think that they should do. Like you, I've never played the game beyond college and have a very narrow focus. I've never been in the position to be forced to look at the whole picture and what one miscalculation could do."

I wish I had seen the guy's name or something. He looked like he was in his late fifties or early sixties. When he left, not one guy said, "Thank you Jim, or Tom, ior Horace.
Why do you find any of this hysterical instead of just painfully obvious. We talk about all of this ALL the time on this board... I'm not saying we are all in agreement, but we do talk about ad nauseum.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you find any of this hysterical instead of just painfully obvious. We talk about all of this ALL the time on this board... I'm not saying we are all in agreement, but we do talk about ad nauseum.
People whose jobs or reputation are on the line coming out in front of a camera and calling them out is something we live for - while we sit here and talk anonymously......

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People whose jobs or reputation are on the line coming out in front of a camera and calling them out is something we live for - while we sit here and talk anonymously......
That's a great point. With so lttle going on, the networks need ratings to keep advertising dollars rolling in, I still haven't found out who the guy ws, but I wonder if he may have lost his jib somewhere because the air is so dead.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports out of the 49ers stable is that Lynch is continually saying that JG will be their starter. Oddly enough, Lynch has been in cionstant contact with one Bill Belichick. The rumors from out there are that Lynch wanted a first round pick and Belichick countered with a forth round and that's when Lynch publicly announced that JG would not be traded and was the 49ers starter.

Word last night from out there is that Lynch is open to a second round pick and BB has offered a 3rd. the draft pick has now moved to a swap of JG for Stephon Gilmore. Supposedly BB said "No".

There's no question that BB would like to get JG back. The Pats have the money to pay him the $52M over the next two years. But, and that's the big but, Can JG stay healthy for an entire season and will BB spend a draft pick for a fourth QB for camp competition? If BB isn't willing to trade Gilmore for JG, does that mean he's going to resign with the Patriots or does Bill have a better deal in the works?

The patriots have nearly $54M tied up in Gilmore($17M), Hightower($15M), Cannon ($9M), Devin McCourty($13M) and it's expected that BB will approach every one of them about reducing their contracts. If he can get at most 20%, it will free up another $11M for free agent shopping. Then again, refusing could free up more. Dead money is $7M for Gilmore, $2.5M for Cannon, $2.5M for Hightower.

Don't expect Patrick Chung to be cut. He has a $5M salary in 2021 but he'll count as $8M against the cap if he's cut.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network reports that there will not be any OTAs in 2021 and the league is considering not allowing any Mini Camps. Owners are not buying into that and when the owners meet this month, there may be some haggling, but at least the rookies will probably be having an i ndoctrination and some kind of educational process. There will be a full training camp, there will be three preseason games and then a 17 game season with one bye week per team. The plan is to hold to the schedule and make sure every player is fully vaccinated before camp opens.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick has a totally new approach in 2021. He won't waste any time combing his hair.

1615550263570.png

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Told ya they were going to get him back.

So what's this BS about them being "going all in" this year? "Unprecedent off season"

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and now the rest so much for in BB we trust

Patriots re-signed Cam Newton to a one-year contract worth around $14 million.​

It marks a huge increase over the $1.1 million the veteran made with the Patriots in 2020. Newton's first year with the Patriots was an unmitigated disaster, thanks largely to the circumstances of the NFL's COVID-19 season. Newton, who had to learn a new offense in a shortened offseason program, said he never recovered from missing multiple weeks on the COVID list following a promising start to the year. "I was behind and I was thinking too much," Newton said in February. “The offense kept going and I was stagnant for two weeks." Newton's return to New England seemed possible after the Boston Globe reported in February that head coach Bill Belichick had "done nothing but rave" about Newton. The team adopted a massively run-heavy offense with Newton under center, resulting in a shockingly low eight touchdown passes in 15 games for Newton (to go along with 10 interceptions). The Pats are reportedly interested in drafting one of the top QBs available in this spring's NFL Draft -- an essential move since they clearly see Newton as a bridge quarterback.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and now the rest so much for in BB we trust

Patriots re-signed Cam Newton to a one-year contract worth around $14 million.​

It marks a huge increase over the $1.1 million the veteran made with the Patriots in 2020. Newton's first year with the Patriots was an unmitigated disaster, thanks largely to the circumstances of the NFL's COVID-19 season. Newton, who had to learn a new offense in a shortened offseason program, said he never recovered from missing multiple weeks on the COVID list following a promising start to the year. "I was behind and I was thinking too much," Newton said in February. “The offense kept going and I was stagnant for two weeks." Newton's return to New England seemed possible after the Boston Globe reported in February that head coach Bill Belichick had "done nothing but rave" about Newton. The team adopted a massively run-heavy offense with Newton under center, resulting in a shockingly low eight touchdown passes in 15 games for Newton (to go along with 10 interceptions). The Pats are reportedly interested in drafting one of the top QBs available in this spring's NFL Draft -- an essential move since they clearly see Newton as a bridge quarterback.
I hate this signing I really do. If I am a WR looking for home in the FA market Pats are last on my list.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does this Cam deal mean the Pats will not target a QB early? I think it does!!!!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive heard on several programs that the patriots don't really like any of the top 7 or 8 QBs available in this draft. They do like several of the second tier guys. I keep hearing that Bill will take Jaime Newman if he's available in the 4th round. For whatever that's worth.

Come Wednesday, Bill just may have $83M to spend . My guess is that he'll load up on the best defensive players that he wants. If he decides to spend the money he could very easily land Barrett, Milano, AJ Bouye or Patrick Peterson and resign Jason McCourty. He could turn a decent defense into a best all around and not spend half of the money available.

AND he could sign a Fitzpatrick and have a veteran competition in camp and let the best man win.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive heard on several programs that the patriots don't really like any of the top 7 or 8 QBs available in this draft. They do like several of the second tier guys. I keep hearing that Bill will take Jaime Newman if he's available in the 4th round. For whatever that's worth.

Come Wednesday, Bill just may have $83M to spend . My guess is that he'll load up on the best defensive players that he wants. If he decides to spend the money he could very easily land Barrett, Milano, AJ Bouye or Patrick Peterson and resign Jason McCourty. He could turn a decent defense into a best all around and not spend half of the money available.

AND he could sign a Fitzpatrick and have a veteran competition in camp and let the best man win.

Yes he could do all of that but I would like him to actually do something with the offense and step away from his "defense only" mentality

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Milano resigned with Buff. Read that this morning. But I agree let's shore up the D and go from there.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does this Cam deal mean the Pats will not target a QB early? I think it does!!!!
I think it means the opposite.
Cam has almost no guaranteed money.
Much of his contract incentives are going to be "not likely to be earned" Meaning they won't count against the cap.
Furthermore, he can be cut in camp if we get a target QB that is ready to play.
If we get a great rookie, BB is unlikely to start him until ready.

If Cam were to earn his incentives, that would mean he had a very good year!