• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Rosterbation

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concerning: the Bumgarner contract. I was shocked to read this at www.mlbtraderumors.com :

It seems unlikely that the bidding for Bumgarner will escalate to the same heights as the Wheeler market, although USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweeted earlier that the Braves jumped on Hamels in part due to concerns that Bumgarner’s price could approach $100MM.

WTF are they smoking over there? Why would MadBum not get more than Wheeler?
Different age trajectories

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand "age trajectories". Does that they will "age differently", even though they are a few months apart in age, and even though MadBum has only been out due to freak accidents (dirt bike and hit by line drive)?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand "age trajectories". Does that they will "age differently", even though they are a few months apart in age, and even though MadBum has only been out due to freak accidents (dirt bike and hit by line drive)?
Bum has a lot more miles on his arm, I would assume. Although, Wheeler has arm-injury history while Bum does not.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees have reportedly offered Gerit Cole a 7 year, $245 million contract. I think that eliminates any pipe dream of him coming here to play with his brother-in-law.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees have reportedly offered Gerit Cole a 7 year, $245 million contract. I think that eliminates any pipe dream of him coming here to play with his brother-in-law.

I'm feeling Zaidi is going to pull off a sizable trade. Some big names out there:

Bryant, Betts, Lindor, Benintendi

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling Zaidi is going to pull off a sizable trade. Some big names out there:

Bryant, Betts, Lindor, Benintendi
It is crazy that any of those guys are available on the trade market. Three of the four play on big market teams, with a lot of demand to win now. That both the Cubs and Red Sox are looking to pare back payroll seems like it could only backfire.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, that's what I thought about 13 years ago when I heard that a NY team had offered an insanely stupid contract (most expensive ever for a pitcher at that time). I chortled and then said to myself "YES!! He won't be coming here!!!".

But, alas, the Giants did sign Barry Zito, offering him even more outrageously expensive year than the Mets head been rumored to have offered, with the same annual salary ($90M/5yrs).

GC is 29. He will be 36 at the end of that contract (at $35M/yr). I sure HOPE the Giants aren't silly enough to offer anywhere near that much. Hmmm. Zito was almost 29 when he started pitching for the Giants (28 and ~11 months).

Uh oh, this is starting to scare me .....

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to insinuate that Cole isn't an absolutely fantastic pitcher (today). But $35M/yr for a guy that only plays 1/5 of the games? When he isn't injured? And what sort of a pitcher will be be in 5 years?

A contract like that will cripple even the Yankee's payroll moving forward. I almost hope that the Dodgers offer 25% more.

Last edited:

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think that Zaidi has his work cut out for him. Over the past few years we have started to see the rise of these 'elite' teams. They seem to have everything. Good pitching and an abundance of offensive power. Last years playoff teams seemed to lead the MLB stats in almost every offensive statistic. Especially the HR. I think almost all of them were in the top 10 or so in that particular area. You could see it in the way the games were played. Great pitchers that got 'burned' by almost any and all mistakes they made. I think the HR ball accounted for quite a few of the total runs scored. Very Hard to work though these types of line-ups. Seems every other hitter had 25 HRs or more ...

I still believe that in the playoffs and the WS you have to have good pitching to survive .... but I think the real challenge is trying to get to the playoffs. These elite teams are built for a 162 game schedule. They are built to make the playoffs. It's all about offense and enough pitching to get through the games. When all is said and done ... I think that you'll have to win very close to 95 games to make the playoffs. Most of the elite teams (most in last years playoffs) just use the off season to get the one or two pieces that they need to stay 'elite'. Hence the NYY offering a 245M contract. They sure enough have offense to carry them for 162 games and another top of the line pitcher can't hurt.

I just don't know how you build a 'contender' in today's market without making major investments in the FA arena or via trades ..... and ! don't see that much value that we have to offer in the trade area .....

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think that Zaidi has his work cut out for him. Over the past few years we have started to see the rise of these 'elite' teams. They seem to have everything. Good pitching and an abundance of offensive power. Last years playoff teams seemed to lead the MLB stats in almost every offensive statistic. Especially the HR. I think almost all of them were in the top 10 or so in that particular area. You could see it in the way the games were played. Great pitchers that got 'burned' by almost any and all mistakes they made. I think the HR ball accounted for quite a few of the total runs scored. Very Hard to work though these types of line-ups. Seems every other hitter had 25 HRs or more ...

I still believe that in the playoffs and the WS you have to have good pitching to survive .... but I think the real challenge is trying to get to the playoffs. These elite teams are built for a 162 game schedule. They are built to make the playoffs. It's all about offense and enough pitching to get through the games. When all is said and done ... I think that you'll have to win very close to 95 games to make the playoffs. Most of the elite teams (most in last years playoffs) just use the off season to get the one or two pieces that they need to stay 'elite'. Hence the NYY offering a 245M contract. They sure enough have offense to carry them for 162 games and another top of the line pitcher can't hurt.

I just don't know how you build a 'contender' in today's market without making major investments in the FA arena or via trades ..... and ! don't see that much value that we have to offer in the trade area .....
Actually, most of the elite teams built primarily through their farm systems (drafts and trades) and then added the final pieces through other trades and free agency.
As for the Yankees, Cole will meet most of their biggest weakness - starting pitching. They get another starter or two and they should become favorites to win it all in 2020.

And, yes, Zaidi does have his work cut out for him. I think he's trying to do the same thing he did in LA. It remains to be seen if it will work here.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to insinuate that Cole isn't an absolutely fantastic pitcher (today). But $35M/yr for a guy that only plays 1/5 of the games? When he isn't injured? And what sort of a pitcher will be be in 5 years?

A contract like that will cripple even the Yankee's payroll moving forward. I almost hope that the Dodgers offer 25% more.
Yes, that contract will cripple whoever inks him, but I do think he's good enough now to make the Yankees or Dodgers the favorite for 2020. Maybe if the Padres swoop in and outbid the Yankees, that would work. He doesn't make those two favorites but makes the Padres a Wild Card possibility. Then, when his, Machado's, Hosmer's and Myers' contract all age badly, the Padres will be stuck back where they always are. I don't really want that to happen to them, but it seems to be the trajectory the current FO there is going.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's what I thought about 13 years ago when I heard that a NY team had offered an insanely stupid contract (most expensive ever for a pitcher at that time). I chortled and then said to myself "YES!! He won't be coming here!!!".

But, alas, the Giants did sign Barry Zito, offering him even more outrageously expensive year than the Mets head been rumored to have offered, with the same annual salary ($90M/5yrs).

GC is 29. He will be 36 at the end of that contract (at $35M/yr). I sure HOPE the Giants aren't silly enough to offer anywhere near that much. Hmmm. Zito was almost 29 when he started pitching for the Giants (28 and ~11 months).

Uh oh, this is starting to scare me .....
Considering that Strasburg just re-signed with the Nats at the amount the Yankees offered Cole, I would think Boras is going to ask for more. He's still available!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed.

And when was the last time we laid out big bucks for a SP and it worked out well?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

And when was the last time we laid out big bucks for a SP and it worked out well?
Zito.

2 championships in his tenure absolutely equates to “working out”. And he was vital in ‘12.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

To be fair, when was the last time any team laid out big bucks for a SP and it worked out well?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Padres are looking to trade Wil Meyers at all costs, including giving up prospect talent to get rid of him.

Thoughts?