• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Rosterbation

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 years of total suckitude, and several years of crap (#4 or #5 performance for #1 A+ pay), and some quality starts does NOT equate to “working out”. However, he did get a few of those quality starts at key moments.
Yup, the opportunity cost for Zito was very high. We coulda got some serious players for the price of his contract instead of BZ.

Even Renteria, despite sucking for 1.99 seasons, ended up with the most clutch WS in Giants history, at least to that point. (What a wonderful argument, Renteria 2010 vs Panda 2012 vs Bum 2014.)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like this a lot, and I'm glad Zaidi is leveraging the salary.

Zaidi has now been involved in two salary dumps, and he managed to receive the prospect in both deals. I like that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Edit: Why give a rookie or 2nd year guy a spot in the rotation to produce mediocre results when you can sign a vet to a 9 million deal for the same results? Brian Sabean must be proud. Oh course, Curt Young can work his pitching magic to get Gausman back to . . wait, never mind.

I like this move too. The Giants aren't going to have the same 5 guys in the rotation all year, so I'm not concerned about Gausman taking a spot from someone.

He could also be potential trade bait at the deadline. Remember who they got for Pomeranz.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My updated WAGs for the opening day 26...

SP - Sammy
SP - Cueto
SP - Gausman
SP - Beede
SP - Webb

In the running - Suarez, Rodriguez, Anderson, Oaks

CL - Watson (L)
RP - Gustave (R)
RP - Gott (R)
RP - Rogers (R)
RP - Suarez (L)
RP - Menez (R)
RP - Selman

In the running - Anderson, Rodriguez, Coonrod, Adon

C - Posey
C - Garcia

1B - Belt
2B - Dubon
SS - Crawford
3B - Longoria

Inf - Solano
Inf - Cozart
Inf - Wong

OF - Duggar
OF - Yaz
OF - Dickerson

OF - Slater
OF - Shaw

I guarantee that I am WAY off. We will acquire more players via trade and FA and I am certain we will open with at least 1 Rule V.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is interesting:

Crawford looks like he might be on the way out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My updated WAGs for the opening day 26...

SP - Sammy
SP - Cueto
SP - Gausman
SP - Beede
SP - Webb

In the running - Suarez, Rodriguez, Anderson, Oaks

CL - Watson (L)
RP - Gustave (R)
RP - Gott (R)
RP - Rogers (R)
RP - Suarez (L)
RP - Menez (R)
RP - Selman

In the running - Anderson, Rodriguez, Coonrod, Adon

C - Posey
C - Garcia

1B - Belt
2B - Dubon
SS - Crawford
3B - Longoria

Inf - Solano
Inf - Cozart
Inf - Wong

OF - Duggar
OF - Yaz
OF - Dickerson

OF - Slater
OF - Shaw

I guarantee that I am WAY off. We will acquire more players via trade and FA and I am certain we will open with at least 1 Rule V.

I have a feeling that Cozart won't ever suit up for the Giants.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, looks like the Giants are the favorites for Castellanos. Even with his horrible defense, I wouldn't be totally opposed to it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

.840 OPS over the last 4 years, doubles machine, right-handed power would play in AT&T. He'll only be 28 on opening day. Put an elite CFer next to him to cover some bad spots.

Also, if this front office believes that his defense won't be a problem, then they must have something in the numbers. He has improved there over the last few years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.840 OPS over the last 4 years, doubles machine, right-handed power would play in AT&T. He'll only be 28 on opening day. Put an elite CFer next to him to cover some bad spots.

Also, if this front office believes that his defense won't be a problem, then they must have something in the numbers. He has improved there over the last few years.
Elite CF = Duggar. So who gets booted? Yaz or Dick?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So based on the estimated payrolls, the Yankees have utterly blasted past the luxury tax. I smell another salary dump

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that this is great news.

(1) The Giants won't see Cole much.
(2) MadBum should play hard-to-get and pocket even more money. There's no reason he shouldn't get $23-25M/yr

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So based on the estimated payrolls, the Yankees have utterly blasted past the luxury tax. I smell another salary dump

A club exceeding the Competitive Balance Tax threshold for the first time must pay a 20 percent tax on all overages. A club exceeding the threshold for a second consecutive season will see that figure rise to 30 percent, and three or more straight seasons of exceeding the threshold comes with a 50 percent luxury tax. If a club dips below the luxury tax threshold for a season, the penalty level is reset. So, a club that exceeds the threshold for two straight seasons but then drops below that level would be back at 20 percent the next time it exceeds the threshold.

Clubs that exceed the threshold by $20 million to $40 million are also subject to a 12 percent surtax. Meanwhile, those who exceed it by more than $40 million are taxed at a 42.5 percent rate the first time and a 45 percent rate if they exceed it by more than $40 million again the following year(s).

Beginning in 2018, clubs that are $40 million or more above the threshold shall have their highest selection in the next Rule 4 Draft moved back 10 places unless the pick falls in the top six. In that case, the team will have its second-highest selection moved back 10 places instead.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A club exceeding the Competitive Balance Tax threshold for the first time must pay a 20 percent tax on all overages. A club exceeding the threshold for a second consecutive season will see that figure rise to 30 percent, and three or more straight seasons of exceeding the threshold comes with a 50 percent luxury tax. If a club dips below the luxury tax threshold for a season, the penalty level is reset. So, a club that exceeds the threshold for two straight seasons but then drops below that level would be back at 20 percent the next time it exceeds the threshold.

Clubs that exceed the threshold by $20 million to $40 million are also subject to a 12 percent surtax. Meanwhile, those who exceed it by more than $40 million are taxed at a 42.5 percent rate the first time and a 45 percent rate if they exceed it by more than $40 million again the following year(s).

Beginning in 2018, clubs that are $40 million or more above the threshold shall have their highest selection in the next Rule 4 Draft moved back 10 places unless the pick falls in the top six. In that case, the team will have its second-highest selection moved back 10 places instead.

The Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox all were over the last last year. Yankees and Cubs were first time offenders, but the Red Sox spent their second year over the tax, so they may be looking to shed, shed, shed.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankers were over the lux tax threshold in 2019 (and under in '18) , so for 2020 this would be the 2nd (consecutive) year over the luxury tax.

After the 2020 season, based on the end salary :

* The first $20M over the threshold, taxed at 30% (30% of 20M = $6M)

* From $20M-$40M, 30% *PLUS* 12%, so 42% of the amount over $20M (and <$40M)

* Over $40M, 30% *PLUS* 42.5%, so 75% of the amount over $40M

* Also, if more than $40M over the tax threshold, their highest selection in the 2021 draft is moved back 10 spaces, on top of the luxury tax

As it stands today, since they signed Cole they lose their 2nd and 5th highest picks in the 2020 draft (you can't lose your highest pick this way). Because the Yanks were over the threshold in 2019, by signing Cole they also lose $1MM in international amateur bonus pool spending capacity.