• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Fangraphs, I trust the guys who run the prospect portion of the website the most out of any national media out there. they recently released their top prospect list for the Giants: Top 34 Prospects: San Francisco Giants

On Joey Bart:

The defensive tools are the foundation of Bart’s skillset, the cornerstone of a certain big league future. He’s Mike Alstott’s size but with the lateral quickness and ground game of a small-framed catcher. He’s quick out of his crouch and throws accurate lasers to second base. He also has field general qualities: he’s a rousing, vocal leader at times, a calming presence at others. We still have some questions about the hit tool — we posited Bart was just frustrated by being pitched around in college and developed some bad habits, but he was swing-happy again in 2019. Still, we think he’ll get to much or all of his power, play all-world defense, and be an All-Star catcher, a proper heir apparent to Buster Posey.

In reference to Marco Luciano:

He has elite hitting talent, he’s produced on paper, and he already has average exit velos and a hard-hit rate that grade as 65 on the scale. If he continues to perform, especially if the Giants send him right to Augusta and he hits his way to San Jose, then this time next year we’ll be talking about Marco Luciano as one of the best prospects in baseball, and if he does so while improving his infield defense, perhaps the best.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Fangraphs, I trust the guys who run the prospect portion of the website the most out of any national media out there. they recently released their top prospect list for the Giants: Top 34 Prospects: San Francisco Giants

On Joey Bart:

The defensive tools are the foundation of Bart’s skillset, the cornerstone of a certain big league future. He’s Mike Alstott’s size but with the lateral quickness and ground game of a small-framed catcher. He’s quick out of his crouch and throws accurate lasers to second base. He also has field general qualities: he’s a rousing, vocal leader at times, a calming presence at others. We still have some questions about the hit tool — we posited Bart was just frustrated by being pitched around in college and developed some bad habits, but he was swing-happy again in 2019. Still, we think he’ll get to much or all of his power, play all-world defense, and be an All-Star catcher, a proper heir apparent to Buster Posey.

In reference to Marco Luciano:

He has elite hitting talent, he’s produced on paper, and he already has average exit velos and a hard-hit rate that grade as 65 on the scale. If he continues to perform, especially if the Giants send him right to Augusta and he hits his way to San Jose, then this time next year we’ll be talking about Marco Luciano as one of the best prospects in baseball, and if he does so while improving his infield defense, perhaps the best.
:surprised:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking down some of the non-tendered pitchers - Sorting The Skills Of The Non-Tendered Pitchers
I am surprised that the Dodgers non-tendered Yimi Garcia. Nothing, outside of home runs allowed in 2019, suggested he was worth letting go. I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants sign him and, if they do, I won't complain.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He just turned 18 and is already an elite power hitter and has the numbers to back up his performance. He's putting himself at similar stages to Vlad Jr., Wander Franco, Juan Soto and Ronald Acuna. He's the real deal.

If it all comes together for him....

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking down some of the non-tendered pitchers - Sorting The Skills Of The Non-Tendered Pitchers
I am surprised that the Dodgers non-tendered Yimi Garcia. Nothing, outside of home runs allowed in 2019, suggested he was worth letting go. I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants sign him and, if they do, I won't complain.

Interesting that Osich was on a lot of those lists. Didn't realize his numbers were actually solid last year, except the homers.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to answer your question, Baseball Reference says that he won't be arbitration eligible until the 2021-2022 offseason. Looks like the Giants have avoided arbitration hearings this offseason.
Cots has him eligible this off season...
:noidea:

Both are right ;-) . (It depends on how much time he spends in the majors in 2020)

If he really has 1 year 147 days (1.147) of service time, then :

- IF HE SPENDS MOST OF THE YEAR on the major league roster in 2020, then he will be arb eligible after the 2020 season (arb eligibility for 'super twos' runs around 2.125).

- If he spends about as much time on the major league roster as he has the past THREE SEASONS (about half a year or a little more) then he will probably end the year with about 2.080 of service time, and he won't be arb eligible until after the 2021 season. Heck, if he spends just one month in the minors he'll end up with less than 2.120 and he won't be arb eligible until 2021.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are right ;-) . (It depends on how much time he spends in the majors in 2020)

If he really has 1 year 147 days (1.147) of service time, then :

- IF HE SPENDS MOST OF THE YEAR on the major league roster in 2020, then he will be arb eligible after the 2020 season (arb eligibility for 'super twos' runs around 2.125).

- If he spends about as much time on the major league roster as he has the past THREE SEASONS (about half a year or a little more) then he will probably end the year with about 2.080 of service time, and he won't be arb eligible until after the 2021 season. Heck, if he spends just one month in the minors he'll end up with less than 2.120 and he won't be arb eligible until 2021.
And your FA clock starts with your arb1 year, correct?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One becomes a free agent when at the end of a season a player has 6 years of major league service time (unless the player has signed a contract which lasts longer). So the "FA clock" starts with a player's first day in the majors. That clock doesn't always click at an even rate, however : it only advances when a player is on the major league roster - NOT when in the minors (yeah, there are a few exceptions).

Example (Buster Posey) :
drafted 2008.
next year us called up in Sep 2009 (~30 days service time)
year after, called up mid-year 2010 (?in June?) - ends year with (about) 161 days of service time
never leaves major league roster
NORMALLY, he would be a free agent at the end of 2016 (with 6 years, 161 days of service time) - BUT he signed a contract back in 2013, and it carries through end of 2021 (with team option for 2022) so he isn't a free agent.

Example 2 (Austin Slater) :
see above ;)
But seriously, Slater (and any player) will become a free agent when either :
a) he ends a season with 6 years of service time
*OR*
b) his current team releases him

As to (a), it will depend on how much time he spends in the majors from here on out. He was optioned in 2018 and 19 (but not in 17 - he went on the DL) so he has one option year left. That means he can be sent to the minors as many times as the team wants during that year (probably in 2020, at least a month, so that he won't get arb in 2021, UNLESS they need him on the team).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One becomes a free agent when at the end of a season a player has 6 years of major league service time (unless the player has signed a contract which lasts longer). So the "FA clock" starts with a player's first day in the majors. That clock doesn't always click at an even rate, however : it only advances when a player is on the major league roster - NOT when in the minors (yeah, there are a few exceptions).

Example (Buster Posey) :
drafted 2008.
next year us called up in Sep 2009 (~30 days service time)
year after, called up mid-year 2010 (?in June?) - ends year with (about) 161 days of service time
never leaves major league roster
NORMALLY, he would be a free agent at the end of 2016 (with 6 years, 161 days of service time) - BUT he signed a contract back in 2013, and it carries through end of 2021 (with team option for 2022) so he isn't a free agent.

Example 2 (Austin Slater) :
see above ;)
But seriously, Slater (and any player) will become a free agent when either :
a) he ends a season with 6 years of service time
*OR*
b) his current team releases him

As to (a), it will depend on how much time he spends in the majors from here on out. He was optioned in 2018 and 19 (but not in 17 - he went on the DL) so he has one option year left. That means he can be sent to the minors as many times as the team wants during that year (probably in 2020, at least a month, so that he won't get arb in 2021, UNLESS they need him on the team).
I know this probably won't happen but I am rooting for Slater to make the team. He showed last season that he's a big league hitter, at least as a 4th or 5th outfielder. He deserves to make the roster, unless he just falls on his face in spring training. However, that option is valuable in the Giants' FO scheme and will be utilized.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that Osich was on a lot of those lists. Didn't realize his numbers were actually solid last year, except the homers.
And he is already re-signed with the Red Sox to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. Sounds like a classic FZ move.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants showing interest in Castellanos (sources)
giphy.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is that the Twins, White Sox, Yankees, Reds and Braves are all looking into possibly signing him. The Giants are not linked to him at this point. I understand the decision to move on, considering his possible cost, but the idea of him in another uniform is still sad.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is that the Twins, White Sox, Yankees, Reds and Braves are all looking into possibly signing him. The Giants are not linked to him at this point. I understand the decision to move on, considering his possible cost, but the idea of him in another uniform is still sad.

Wheeler to the Philth. 5/$118

Sources: Wheeler joins Phillies with $118M deal

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Braves are probably out of it with Hamels on board.

Of that group, wouldn't mind the Twins, Sox or Reds.

I think we can safely expect that Bum won't return. I just don't see Zaidi giving out big money to pitchers.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves are probably out of it with Hamels on board.

Of that group, wouldn't mind the Twins, Sox or Reds.

I think we can safely expect that Bum won't return. I just don't see Zaidi giving out big money to pitchers.
Braves were mentioned after they signed Hamels and Phillies signed Wheeler. It could become an arms race in the NL East.