• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meanwhile the Padres or dodgers are likely to get Mookie Betts.

I'm fine with the Giants not trading prospects at this juncture, but I was really expecting way more action than this. Especially on the trade market.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a little perspective, he hasn't played in the big leagues since 2018 and is the same age as Cueto and Longoria.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a little perspective, he hasn't played in the big leagues since 2018 and is the same age as Cueto and Longoria.
Wasn’t he in camp last year? Or pass through the org at some point, at least?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn’t he in camp last year? Or pass through the org at some point, at least?
Not that I remember. Maybe there was a rumor of interest by the org last year or one of our fellow tzill alts was interested in him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lefty killer in an outfield full of left-handed bats. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make it as of today.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lefty killer in an outfield full of left-handed bats. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make it as of today.
I wouldn't call him a lefty killer but he did hit lefties a lot better in 2018 than righties. His slash against lefties was .233/.358/.447. However, he cannot be allowed to ever bat against right handers.
Considering that he only got 47 plate appearances in AAA last year, due to injuries, and looked really rusty in a brief 5 game stretch in the Puerto Rico Winter League, I think he should have to earn that roster spot. He needs to show he can still hit lefties and stay healthy.
And I would much rather have younger guys playing on this team. We don't need a bunch of older players. If they are going to stink, stink with guys who still have some potential (no matter have much or little).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel torn on this one. On one hand, I like it. He's young, hits well, has some positional flexibility. On the other hand, where does he fit? Is Solano gone? Does Dubon move to the outfield (if so, why)? Does the team feel Sandoval won't make the squad?

Assuming 13 pitchers (that is the maximum you're allowed to carry apparently with the new rosters), I envision 4 open roster spots on the bench:

Posey, Garcia
Belt
Dubon
Crawford
Longoria
Flores

Yaz
Dickerson

So you would think that Solano, Sanchez, Wong and Avelino are battling for one or two spots. Wong can play in the OF, but it sounds like Dubon is going to as well, so that may not make a difference. Wong and Sanchez can bat left-handed, Solano is right. With Flores and Dubon being right-handed, maybe Solano is redundant. I don't expect Pablo to make the team because he'll be rehabbing until the summer.

The outfield is a huge wildcard, but I guess Duggar, Drew Robinson, Guyer, Davis, Slater, Shaw, McCarthy, Ruf and probably other MiLB free agents I'm forgetting are competing for 2-3 spots. Duggar is the only true CFer, so he probably gets it (maybe Dubon spells him against lefties?). Robinson is out of options, so if he looks good in ST, he's making the team (he's also a very prototypical Zaidi player). Guyer and Ruf are right-handed, which they need, though neither are particularly exciting. Unfortunately unless one or more of the guys with options don't show much in ST, they'll all get sent down.

If I had to guess now, I'd say Posey-Garcia-Belt-Dubon-Crawford-Longo-Flores-Solano-Yaz-Duggar-Dickerson-Robinson-Davis.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming 13 pitchers (that is the maximum you're allowed to carry apparently with the new rosters), I envision 4 open roster spots on the bench:

Posey, Garcia
Belt
Dubon
Crawford
Longoria
Flores

Yaz
Dickerson

So you would think that Solano, Sanchez, Wong and Avelino are battling for one or two spots. Wong can play in the OF, but it sounds like Dubon is going to as well, so that may not make a difference. Wong and Sanchez can bat left-handed, Solano is right. With Flores and Dubon being right-handed, maybe Solano is redundant. I don't expect Pablo to make the team because he'll be rehabbing until the summer.

The outfield is a huge wildcard, but I guess Duggar, Drew Robinson, Guyer, Davis, Slater, Shaw, McCarthy, Ruf and probably other MiLB free agents I'm forgetting are competing for 2-3 spots. Duggar is the only true CFer, so he probably gets it (maybe Dubon spells him against lefties?). Robinson is out of options, so if he looks good in ST, he's making the team (he's also a very prototypical Zaidi player). Guyer and Ruf are right-handed, which they need, though neither are particularly exciting. Unfortunately unless one or more of the guys with options don't show much in ST, they'll all get sent down.

If I had to guess now, I'd say Posey-Garcia-Belt-Dubon-Crawford-Longo-Flores-Solano-Yaz-Duggar-Dickerson-Robinson-Davis.
I don't get why Dubon isn't given the primary shot of winning 2nd base. Its not like he feel on his face in 2019.

Robinson isn't on the 40 man roster so whether he is out of or has options shouldn't play a role in securing a spot.

I wonder if Shaw even gets a look. He's performed well in spring training before and just gotten sent down. I have a feeling that he's got a ticket to Sacramento regardless of performance. He's too one-dimensional for this FO.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly a response/panic move to the Wilmer Flores deal.
Actually, they've been panicky since the Giants acquired Darrin Ruf. They only hope to make up for that in quantity, thus picking up both Betts and Price. Unfortunately, for them, they got so focused on getting those two that they lost track of how many players they lost in trades.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why Dubon isn't given the primary shot of winning 2nd base. Its not like he feel on his face in 2019.

Robinson isn't on the 40 man roster so whether he is out of or has options shouldn't play a role in securing a spot.

I wonder if Shaw even gets a look. He's performed well in spring training before and just gotten sent down. I have a feeling that he's got a ticket to Sacramento regardless of performance. He's too one-dimensional for this FO.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way regarding Dubon. I think they're giving him the opportunity to be an everyday player, whether it's at 2B, SS or CF doesn't matter. He'll be in the lineup every day. If he can be our Chris Taylor, that would be pretty awesome.

Yeah I forgot Robinson wasn't on the 40-man. I'll keep him as a favorite for now.

I'm sure all those guys will get a looooong look, but he certainly has a lot going against him. Left handed in a lefty-heavy OF. Limited defensively to LF. I think we'll see him a decent amount next year, but I doubt it on Opening Day.