• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree. For Miller, Susac and almost any 2 minor-leaguers would be acceptable (*maybe* not Arroyo, and only one SP from the minors, unless the 2nd was < 8th ranked, and not either our top-2 SPs). Miller fits the current timescale for the Giants - their 'core group of impact players' is signed through 2018 or 2019 - so 3 years of Miller is perfect. With Miller, the Giants would have a great chance to make the next 3 post-seasons (barring injuries, of course) - that's worth a lot of scratch (in this case, trade bait).

And somebody said 'nothing is guaranteed'. Of course it isn't - look at the Dodger's last 3 seasons, and the former #1 payroll whore, the Yankees. But we'd be in a very good position ...
Yes. It's all about lining up the window here during the primes of Bum, Posey, Pence, Craw, and the bullpen. Second-tier prospects who won't be part of that window are expendable. I'd rather not lose Susac, and we can include Bickford, too, to protect. But it will be tough because we aren't the only team bidding for Miller. The prospect price will be steep, and it will sting.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. It's all about lining up the window here during the primes of Bum, Posey, Pence, Craw, and the bullpen. Second-tier prospects who won't be part of that window are expendable. I'd rather not lose Susac, and we can include Bickford, too, to protect. But it will be tough because we aren't the only team bidding for Miller. The prospect price will be steep, and it will sting.

I'd go further - a proven talent like Miller, captive for THREE seasons, means that first-tier prospects are expendable. Not ALL of them, we are going to need a SP in the next 2 years, but Susac + a top-tier talent, + some other juicy prospect is a 'fair' price for Miller. With Miller, the next 3 seasons could see the Giants in the WS. This is our window, it's time to go for it.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, took long enough!

Only really surprised by Gardeck, but he can hit 100 MPH, so you want to protect an arm like that.

Agosta and Biagini left unprotected, but unlikely either get selected. Even if Biagini does, he's very similar to Blackburn.

Also of note, Giants filled all 8 spots. No news yet of anyone removed from roster. Giants can and probably will wait. Explore trades.

I'm actually surprised by both Gardeck and Jacob Smith. Both are RPs, both have just ONE recent good year (honestly, very *very* good 2015 for Smith), both were in San Jose, neither were high picks (so not a lot of money invested, like Villalona). True, both have ungodly good K/9 rates but *had* control issues until 2015 (walks and hits per 9). I guess that the Giants feel that either of them could be closers or set-up guys in 2 years or so and are willing to take a flier on them.

And there's still a couple of guys that can be dropped from the 40-man. I wager Hector is the first to go, but a couple of the (many) new relievers that joined the Gs last season could go as well (like Cody Hall, Mike Broadway, or Cory Gearrin) - although any of them could be a success story next year.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go further - a proven talent like Miller, captive for THREE seasons, means that first-tier prospects are expendable. Not ALL of them, we are going to need a SP in the next 2 years, but Susac + a top-tier talent, + some other juicy prospect is a 'fair' price for Miller. With Miller, the next 3 seasons could see the Giants in the WS. This is our window, it's time to go for it.
Yep. I could see us offering either Susac or Arroyo, plus either Bickford or Blach or Blackburn, plus a RP not named Black (preferably). Some package like that I could live with. Hope that is enough.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually surprised by both Gardeck and Jacob Smith. Both are RPs, both have just ONE recent good year (honestly, very *very* good 2015 for Smith), both were in San Jose, neither were high picks (so not a lot of money invested, like Villalona). True, both have ungodly good K/9 rates but *had* control issues until 2015 (walks and hits per 9). I guess that the Giants feel that either of them could be closers or set-up guys in 2 years or so and are willing to take a flier on them.

And there's still a couple of guys that can be dropped from the 40-man. I wager Hector is the first to go, but a couple of the (many) new relievers that joined the Gs last season could go as well (like Cody Hall, Mike Broadway, or Cory Gearrin) - although any of them could be a success story next year.

Yeah they were probably just worried desperate teams may be willing to take the plunge. I don't think it was likely either would have been taken (in fact I think Blackburn would have been the only guy selected out of the group), but better safe than sorry I guess when the Giants have guys they can move on from.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelby Miller Rumor Update:

Braves rumors: Matt Duffy, Joe Panik discussed in Shelby Miller trade talks

The San Francisco Giants are the latest team to check in with the Atlanta Braves on the availability of All-Star pitcher Shelby Miller. According to a report from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Giants have also discussed the possibility of acquiring Miller or Julio Teheran from the Braves.

In return, the Braves would reportedly be looking for Matt Duffy or Joe Panik, according to Cafardo.

According to Cafardo, Duffy and Panik are two players Bobby Evans and Brian Sabean "don't want to deal." Rightfully so, the two infielders each had more wins above replacement than Miller last season.
If the deal somehow included Duffy or Panik, I'd want to know who else the Braves would include for either of these two, alone.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants rumors: Team interested in John Lackey

Lackey is coming off a fantastic 2015 season, and despite being 37 and attached to a qualifying offer, he should have no problem securing a contract. Last year he threw 218 innings, and posted an ERA of 2.77, an FIP of 3.57, and an fWAR of 3.6. Since 2003, Lackey has thrown at least 160 innings, and over the last three years, he's competed at least 189.1.

Heading into the 2016 season, the Giants' biggest question mark is undoubtedly their pitching staff. Behind Madison Bumgarner, the rest of San Francisco's rotation is Jake Peavy, Chris Heston, and Matt Cain.

In addition to Lackey, the Giants have also been connected to starters like David Price, and Zack Greinke. While San Francisco has the funds to pull off a deal for either one of those pitchers, they're reportedly looking to acquire two starters, which could make Lackey, and someone like Mike Leake more attractive than just one big name free agent.

The Giants have a few pitching prospects of note in their system, namely Clayton Blackburn, Tyler Beede, and Phil Bickford. Of these three, only Blackburn has a chance to crack the rotation at the outset of 2016, and San Francisco may want him to start the year in AAA. Signing Lackey, who's likely looking for a two-to-three year deal, would allow the Giants to give their prospects the time they need, and avoid the risk of rushing them to the big leagues.

As of now, the Giants' interest in Lackey is seemingly in the preliminary stages of offseason due diligence, but that could change once the market picks up over the next couple of weeks.​

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The San Francisco Giants are the latest team to check in with the Atlanta Braves on the availability of All-Star pitcher Shelby Miller. According to a report from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Giants have also discussed the possibility of acquiring Miller or Julio Teheran from the Braves.

In return, the Braves would reportedly be looking for Matt Duffy or Joe Panik, according to Cafardo.

According to Cafardo, Duffy and Panik are two players Bobby Evans and Brian Sabean "don't want to deal." Rightfully so, the two infielders each had more wins above replacement than Miller last season.
If the deal somehow included Duffy or Panik, I'd want to know who else the Braves would include for either of these two, alone.

They also asked for A.J. Pollock from the D-Backs. Their demands will have to come down, but it's clear what they're looking for, ML ready players. Faces they can build around going into their new stadium.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lackey is coming off a fantastic 2015 season, and despite being 37 and attached to a qualifying offer, he should have no problem securing a contract. Last year he threw 218 innings, and posted an ERA of 2.77, an FIP of 3.57, and an fWAR of 3.6. Since 2003, Lackey has thrown at least 160 innings, and over the last three years, he's competed at least 189.1.

Heading into the 2016 season, the Giants' biggest question mark is undoubtedly their pitching staff. Behind Madison Bumgarner, the rest of San Francisco's rotation is Jake Peavy, Chris Heston, and Matt Cain.

In addition to Lackey, the Giants have also been connected to starters like David Price, and Zack Greinke. While San Francisco has the funds to pull off a deal for either one of those pitchers, they're reportedly looking to acquire two starters, which could make Lackey, and someone like Mike Leake more attractive than just one big name free agent.

The Giants have a few pitching prospects of note in their system, namely Clayton Blackburn, Tyler Beede, and Phil Bickford. Of these three, only Blackburn has a chance to crack the rotation at the outset of 2016, and San Francisco may want him to start the year in AAA. Signing Lackey, who's likely looking for a two-to-three year deal, would allow the Giants to give their prospects the time they need, and avoid the risk of rushing them to the big leagues.

As of now, the Giants' interest in Lackey is seemingly in the preliminary stages of offseason due diligence, but that could change once the market picks up over the next couple of weeks.​

:puke:

Please no Lackey.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also asked for A.J. Pollock from the D-Backs. Their demands will have to come down, but it's clear what they're looking for, ML ready players. Faces they can build around going into their new stadium.
I would consider Susac plus prospect(s), if you consider Susac ML-ready.

I might even consider Panik straight-up if it was felt we had a replacement ready, eg, Tomlinson. We might need for the Braves to add something.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:puke:

Please no Lackey.

Don't hold 2002 against him. I agree, I can't stand looking at him. But maybe neither can the hitters, which is why he's been a decent pitcher for so long.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider Susac plus prospect(s), if you consider Susac ML-ready.

I might even consider Panik straight-up if it was felt we had a replacement ready, eg, Tomlinson. We might need for the Braves to add something.

I don't expect the Braves to deal Miller until at least two of Greinke, Price, and Cueto are signed somewhere.

But if we did do Panik for Miller plus a prospect, maybe we sign Zobrist as a 2B-OF.

Then we give Lackey a 2/30 or even 3/40?

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hold 2002 against him. I agree, I can't stand looking at him. But maybe neither can the hitters, which is why he's been a decent pitcher for so long.
I only want Price or one of the big OFers if we only sign 1 QO player.

I would only be interested in Lackey if he is our 3rd or 4th QO signee.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect the Braves to deal Miller until at least two of Greinke, Price, and Cueto are signed somewhere.

But if we did do Panik for Miller plus a prospect, maybe we sign Zobrist as a 2B-OF.

Then we give Lackey a 2/30 or even 3/40?
Why? We have KT ready to go right now, with Slater as a possible mid-season addition.

And, Z would cost a pick.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only want Price or one of the big OFers if we only sign 1 QO player.

I would only be interested in Lackey if he is our 3rd or 4th QO signee.

Budget may get to be an issue.

If we sign more than one player who has a QO, do we surrender more picks?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? We have KT ready to go right now, with Slater as a possible mid-season addition.

And, Z would cost a pick.

If we felt KT was ready to be the regular 2B, I'm fine with not signing Z. But we do need OF help, too, and Z would be our Swiss Army knife. But maybe KT can do that on the cheap for us, too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we felt KT was ready to be the regular 2B, I'm fine with not signing Z. But we do need OF help, too, and Z would be our Swiss Army knife. But maybe KT can do that on the cheap for us, too.
If they want to go on the cheap, KT at 2B with Mac/Parker in left is the way they will go (along with a big pitching acquisition or 2).

If the Giants sign 3 QO players, they surrender their first 3 picks. That is why I would only be interested in Lackey if we have already surrendered our first 2 picks or so.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to go on the cheap, KT at 2B with Mac/Parker in left is the way they will go (along with a big pitching acquisition or 2).

If the Giants sign 3 QO players, they surrender their first 3 picks. That is why I would only be interested in Lackey if we have already surrendered our first 2 picks or so.

If they dealt Panik for Miller, I would expect they only sign one more quality SP, max.

I seriously doubt they sign 3 QO players. Not enough budget.

But if we could do Panik for Miller, sign another quality pitcher (eg, Leake or Zimmerman) , and get a quality OF, that would be a nice offseason, IMHO.

It's all about the next 2-3 year window.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they dealt Panik for Miller, I would expect they only sign one more quality SP, max.

I seriously doubt they sign 3 QO players. Not enough budget.

But if we could do Panik for Miller, sign another quality pitcher (eg, Leake or Zimmerman) , and get a quality OF, that would be a nice offseason, IMHO.

It's all about the next 2-3 year window.
I 100% agree that we will not sign even 2 QO FAs, let alone 3. My point was that it would take that level of reduction in the draft pick cost for me to be interested in Lackey.

I am hesitant to go after Zimm for the same reasons, though. He is a QO with an injury history coming off a down year. I would prefer Scrabble on a 1-year deal or Cueto.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I dislike more than the idea of Duffy or Panik for Miller is Duffy or Panik for Teheran. That dude is overrated! No thank you Bobby Evans!