• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Miller would cost something like Susac and Arroyo. MAYBE Susac and Mac. A good young catcher is an asset, but a young pitcher is game changing. Basically, Miller will not be cheap.

That said, I would be OK with something like that. We do have Garcia coming up through the system, and Brown looked REALLY good last year. Susac is expendable. I REALLY like Arroyo. I liked him almost from the get-go. But the Giants are STACKED in the infield, and look to be stacked for years to come. If Arroyo can add a SERIOUS piece, you have to listen. He is still 2-3 years away and ANYTHING can happen in 2-3 years.

As you said, I would be fine with any of those combinations, but I think Leake has the potential to be something special in this yard. If we can get him at approx 15M AAV, I think he would be an elite #3. I prefer Price, and not only becasue of the compensation issue. The lost pick just puts him that much higher than Greinke.

Personally, I would go with 3, 1, 4, 2.

I had an edit in there, but my SportsHoopla was down for a while.

I would be hard pressed to give up both Arroyo and Susac in a deal for Miller. I just think there would be a better deal out there we could get. Maybe not though, I'm not making phone calls. The Giants can trade away catchers and middle infielders, so it would soften the blow.

Why stop there @Stokes1931 ? How about all three? Grenkie/Price, Leake AND Miller.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of surprising moves for the Rockies, giving up on Rex Brothers and Tommy Kahnle. Both hard throwers, should easily find a job somewhere. Also, they cut ties with Willin Rosario. Putrid defensive player, but I could see him ending up somewhere like the Rays who need some offense.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of surprising moves for the Rockies, giving up on Rex Brothers and Tommy Kahnle. Both hard throwers, should easily find a job somewhere. Also, they cut ties with Willin Rosario. Putrid defensive player, but I could see him ending up somewhere like the Rays who need some offense.
I was more surprised at the move to get rid of John Axford. But Brothers somehow managed to produce a 1.74 ERA with them in 17 appearances (WHIP was awful though, 1.65). Really, I'm surprised when the Rockies get rid of any pitcher with a sub 5.00 ERA (which all three had). Only 16 of the 30 pitchers they used this year were under 5.00. That is pretty bad when you think about it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the Giants are like the last team to announce anything regarding the 40-man roster moves. They have until 8:59

Could mean they are working on a late deal. Probably means they just talked a lot about it, maybe cutting some under the table deals with some guys who are going to get DFA'd.
Don't they know there are people on the lunatic fringe who want to know?!?!?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't they know there are people on the lunatic fringe who want to know?!?!?

Alright, took long enough!

Only really surprised by Gardeck, but he can hit 100 MPH, so you want to protect an arm like that.

Agosta and Biagini left unprotected, but unlikely either get selected. Even if Biagini does, he's very similar to Blackburn.

Also of note, Giants filled all 8 spots. No news yet of anyone removed from roster. Giants can and probably will wait. Explore trades.

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, took long enough!

Only really surprised by Gardeck, but he can hit 100 MPH, so you want to protect an arm like that.

Agosta and Biagini left unprotected, but unlikely either get selected. Even if Biagini does, he's very similar to Blackburn.

Also of note, Giants filled all 8 spots. No news yet of anyone removed from roster. Giants can and probably will wait. Explore trades.
Just saw the names. Yeah, Gardeck was the most surprising. I thought I counted 33 players on the 40 man roster before this list so that means someone has to be removed.
Now comes the speculation of who gets removed from the 40 man once the team signs free agents.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the names. Yeah, Gardeck was the most surprising. I thought I counted 33 players on the 40 man roster before this list so that means someone has to be removed.
Now comes the speculation of who gets removed from the 40 man once the team signs free agents.

Looking at Cal's list in the SportsHoopla, and various other sources, I only count 32. Regardless, the roster is comically unbalanced. We have 25 pitchers on the 40 man roster, and only 5 outfielders and 6 infielders. There will be a flurry of moves to fix this. One of Susac/Brown/Sanchez is gone. Petit, Gearin, Broadway, and Hall are all fringy. Kontos, Casilla and Strickland could be used as trade bait.

Assuming the Giants add 3-4 players (2 SPs and an outfielder, maybe 1 more reliever or an additional outfielder like Blanks), there are enough candidates.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Bum/Miller/Leake/Peavy/Cain not be enough?

Playoff rotation of Bum/Miller/Leake was only worse than the Dodgers and Mets starting 3 and maybe the Cubs in this years playoffs.

I like Bum, Miller, Leake than Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Houston, Royals (by far), Yankees, and Blue Jays.

I think that we as Giants fans got used to winning with lights out pitching, but clearly that isn't the only road to success. 3 of the last 4 teams in the last two World Series have worse pitching than the one the Giants could potentially field above. Imhumbleo.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Cal's list in the SportsHoopla, and various other sources, I only count 32. Regardless, the roster is comically unbalanced. We have 25 pitchers on the 40 man roster, and only 5 outfielders and 6 infielders. There will be a flurry of moves to fix this. One of Susac/Brown/Sanchez is gone. Petit, Gearin, Broadway, and Hall are all fringy. Kontos, Casilla and Strickland could be used as trade bait.

Assuming the Giants add 3-4 players (2 SPs and an outfielder, maybe 1 more reliever or an additional outfielder like Blanks), there are enough candidates.
I may have counted an extra player. No need to add Blanks, unless the Giants are concerned about him being picked in the Rule 5 draft. Has his signing been made official yet (reason I didn't add him to my Rule 5 list)? I think the organization is going to sign a lot of minor league free agent position players this offseason because their triple A roster looks pretty thin right now. Not many guys to promote from double A either.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have counted an extra player. No need to add Blanks, unless the Giants are concerned about him being picked in the Rule 5 draft. Has his signing been made official yet (reason I didn't add him to my Rule 5 list)? I think the organization is going to sign a lot of minor league free agent position players this offseason because their triple A roster looks pretty thin right now. Not many guys to promote from double A either.

I was just thinking ahead to the opening roster. Yeah Blanks doesn't need to be added until March, if added at all.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Miller would cost something like Susac and Arroyo. MAYBE Susac and Mac. A good young catcher is an asset, but a young pitcher is game changing. Basically, Miller will not be cheap.

That said, I would be OK with something like that. We do have Garcia coming up through the system, and Brown looked REALLY good last year. Susac is expendable. I REALLY like Arroyo. I liked him almost from the get-go. But the Giants are STACKED in the infield, and look to be stacked for years to come. If Arroyo can add a SERIOUS piece, you have to listen. He is still 2-3 years away and ANYTHING can happen in 2-3 years.

As you said, I would be fine with any of those combinations, but I think Leake has the potential to be something special in this yard. If we can get him at approx 15M AAV, I think he would be an elite #3. I prefer Price, and not only becasue of the compensation issue. The lost pick just puts him that much higher than Greinke.

Personally, I would go with 3, 1, 4, 2.

Your MOM is expendable....

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be hard pressed to give up both Arroyo and Susac in a deal for Miller. I just think there would be a better deal out there we could get. Maybe not though, I'm not making phone calls. The Giants can trade away catchers and middle infielders, so it would soften the blow.

Why stop there @Stokes1931 ? How about all three? Grenkie/Price, Leake AND Miller.
What if we offered Arroyo, any minor league SP not named Beede, and any minor league RP not named Black?

IMO opinion, we aren't sacrificing much with this, at least in spots we seem to have in some abundance.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why stop there at all? Why not add Fernandez as well?

MadBum/Greinke/Miller/Fernandez/Leake

Now that's a rotation.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why stop there at all? Why not add Fernandez as well?

MadBum/Greinke/Miller/Fernandez/Leake

Now that's a rotation.
I don't know...

That's a BIG drop off from Fernandez to Leake.

(And you really think Miller would be the 3 with Fernandez as the 4? I would think Fernandez would be right there with Bum and Greinke battling for #1)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we offered Arroyo, any minor league SP not named Beede, and any minor league RP not named Black?

IMO opinion, we aren't sacrificing much with this, at least in spots we seem to have in some abundance.
Arroyo, Bickford and Okert?

That would be one PAINFUL price to pay.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arroyo, Bickford and Okert?

That would be one PAINFUL price to pay.
But would it really be that high for a guy who can pitch 200+ innings with a low 3's ERA? Three prospects who likely won't be in SF in 2016 and who all have guys ahead of them? Gotta give to get.

I'm just throwing an idea out there to up help us back to contender status next year. We aren't the only ones bidding on him. Maybe two out of the three is enough, but I doubt it. But I don't think we have too many untouchables in the minors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But would it really be that high for a guy who can pitch 200+ innings with a low 3's ERA? Three prospects who likely won't be in SF in 2016 and who all have guys ahead of them? Gotta give to get.

I'm just throwing an idea out there to up help us back to contender status next year. We aren't the only ones bidding on him. Maybe two out of the three is enough, but I doubt it. But I don't think we have too many untouchables in the minors.
I think any deal with Atlanta would (and should) include Susac. It matches up too perfectly.

And Susac is not only MLB-ready, he is MLB-proven. That really ups his value. I think Susac and Arroyo probably gets it done.

I would be much happier with that package than including Bickford.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we overestimating the value of two aces? Remember the Dodgers in 2015? How about the Royals lack of one true ace (Cueto, I don't think, counts considering his 2nd half with the Royals)? Or maybe the Giants in 2014? Did the Red Sox have two true aces in 2013? Price or Greinke guarantee nothing.

Well, Kershaw turns into a pumpkin when the clock strikes 'post-season' ...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to agree. For Miller, Susac and almost any 2 minor-leaguers would be acceptable (*maybe* not Arroyo, and only one SP from the minors, unless the 2nd was < 8th ranked, and not either our top-2 SPs). Miller fits the current timescale for the Giants - their 'core group of impact players' is signed through 2018 or 2019 - so 3 years of Miller is perfect. With Miller, the Giants would have a great chance to make the next 3 post-seasons (barring injuries, of course) - that's worth a lot of scratch (in this case, trade bait).

And somebody said 'nothing is guaranteed'. Of course it isn't - look at the Dodger's last 3 seasons, and the former #1 payroll whore, the Yankees. But we'd be in a very good position ...