• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tzill, perhaps I can shed some insight on how that actually may be plausible. I live in LA so I listen to a lot local circle jerk sports talk and here are a couple of stories as to how awkward Greinke is and how straight forward he can be. Take this for what it is, but what I have learned about him during my time in LA listening to every angle on Los Doyers, he doesn't sugar coat or mince words. If he sucks or a teammate sucks, he will typically not hold back his feelings. Here are the three stories I heard from a Dodger beat writer (David Vassey) on the radio MONTHS AGO (so it doesn't seem like sour grapes after the fact):

1. Dodger catcher AJ Ellis was trying to get to know Greinke when Greinke first signed his contract with the Dodgers and they were sitting down chopping it up for about 10 minutes when Ellis asked Greinke what Greinke would do to improve the Dodgers if he were GM of the Dodgers. Greinke's response was classic asshole but he truly meant it:
(paraphrasing)
Greinke: Your (AJ Ellis) value has never been higher so I would trade you, then sign Brian McCann for far better offensive productivity.

2. Last season, the Dodgers told Greinke he had to say 4 nice things about his teammates before leaving the locker room to go home each day, whether it be practice or a game, home or away, they kept track of the nice things he would say because he was so blunt and at times brutally honest, he was often construed as a dick by his teammates.

3. Last season, he got so sick of Puig's shit, that Greinke got off the bus during a road trip, and threw all of Puig's shit off the bus.

Maybe the locker room in LA was toxic and he hated it. I could see a scenario given his prior mental midget history that he may want a more zen-like clubhouse and he wants to bolt. My question is IF the above stories are true, do we want a guy like Greinke in the Giants clubhouse? Except for story #3, he was dead on the money in what he did.
I live in SoCal too and I've heard all these stories for sure on the local media circuit.

I could see it (him not liking LA), I just don't know how the word would get out to the media. He still loves money.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I've heard a lot about Greinke's attitude and it is definitely something the Giants need to do their homework on, and they will do their homework. The Giants are going to bring in Posey, Pence and (now) Crawford into any meetings with Greinke and get their thoughts on his situation.

FWIW, Greinke, who loves to play GM and is a prospect junkie, has said he likes a lot of the Giants players and couldn't decide whether he wanted the Royals (the team who drafted him!) or the Giants to win the World Series last year. Given the stories we've heard, Greinke wouldn't just say something like that in passing. So I guess the Giants pass his test in that aspect.

I'm sure they'll ping Affeldt too. They were together in KC. Affeldt had a funny kind of run in with Greinke too.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only two days away from finalizing 40-man rosters for minor leaguers ....

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article. Wonder why they picked Austin Slater over Hunter Cole as the more likely candidate to make his debut in 2016.

Not sure.

Slater appears on reports as a 2B, but I only saw him play RF in the fall league. Perhaps they are trying to see if he can be a utility guy, a la KT. He's pretty fast, not KT fast, with a good arm.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only two days away from finalizing 40-man rosters for minor leaguers ....

I'm VERY curious to see what the Giants do.

Crick, Stratton, Blackburn, Okert, Mejia, Blach, Agosta, J.Smith, Biagini...

I think they are all real threats to be taken, if teams are desperate enough. They have 8 open spots, right? Which would leave zero room for free agency.

I could see them removing a few guys and re-signing them to minor league deals. Hall, Broadway, Gearin, or just releasing all together, like Haktor and Petit (unfortunately) to create a little more flexibility. We'll probably find out today.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm VERY curious to see what the Giants do.

Crick, Stratton, Blackburn, Okert, Mejia, Blach, Agosta, J.Smith, Biagini...

I think they are all real threats to be taken, if teams are desperate enough. They have 8 open spots, right? Which would leave zero room for free agency.

I could see them removing a few guys and re-signing them to minor league deals. Hall, Broadway, Gearin, or just releasing all together, like Haktor and Petit (unfortunately) to create a little more flexibility. We'll probably find out today.
I also am looking forward to see who they pick up. They have 7 spots on the 40 man that they can fill. Two of the guys you mentioned won't be carried until they let some other guys go (which is very possible). I would think that they will non-tender Sanchez and/or Petit next month (or is it January?) to make room for free agents.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The was just reported on the MLB main page here on the hoop.

It is so sad that he is that kind of guy. He has all the talent in the world, but refuses to do anything with it.

Yeah, a shame. If Kershaw can't put all that talent to good use, he might as well retire now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Giants would be willing to take him off the Dodgers' hands, you know, as a favor. A goodwill gesture.
We can send them Pagan. They need more OFers, right?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can send them Pagan. They need more OFers, right?
A change of scenery trade, I love it! Maybe both players could finally reach their potentials that way. Pagan brings more veteran presence (by way of age), so the Dodgers may just get the better of that deal. I think they should throw in a low level prospect, maybe, say Corey Seager, in the deal to make it even.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A change of scenery trade, I love it! Maybe both players could finally reach their potentials that way. Pagan brings more veteran presence (by way of age), so the Dodgers may just get the better of that deal. I think they should throw in a low level prospect, maybe, say Corey Seager, in the deal to make it even.
Seager and his FOUR career HRs? Not even a throw in. I think, with some luck, the Giants coaches could squeeze some productivity out of him. But that takes time and resources. If we take him as well, the dogs would need to cover a good bit of Kershaw's remaining salary.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager and his FOUR career HRs? Not even a throw in. I think, with some luck, the Giants coaches could squeeze some productivity out of him. But that takes time and resources. If we take him as well, the dogs would need to cover a good bit of Kershaw's remaining salary.
Just trying to create some goodwill with our arch rivals. You know, for when we want to get a good trade. Our GM can remind them, "Hey remember that lop sided trade we took on?"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trying to create some goodwill with our arch rivals. You know, for when we want to get a good trade. Our GM can remind them, "Hey remember that lop sided trade we took on?"
Like Sabes did with the Pirates all through the '00s...