• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling the Giants are gonna be the ones to flick the first domino. A quick strike for Grenkie, or Cueto.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I would like to get a young, stud CF, I do t believe it is critical. Pagan, when healthy, is AT WORST an average player. Then we have Blanco as the primary sub in CF. Advanced metrics say he is a below avg CF, but that does not pass my eyeball test. We also have KT as a potential there, though granted, I think that is a longshot. Mac and Parker also add depth in the corners.

I hope we do get one of the big 4 OFers or trade for a kid, but I do not hold that up to a make-or-break off season.

Getting a STUD SP, however...

It's hard to imagine we will contend with an OF of Pence, Pagan, Blanco, and two rookies.

We have $45mm to spend, IMO. That should be enough for a very good SP and a very good OF. We may have enough left over for a semi-scrapheap SP who can eat some innings if necessary. That might be Timmeh.

Just speculating again - I think they may have rushed Cain back last year because we were scrambling to contend. With a proper off-season of rest, he may be good as a #4.

Bum/Leake/Jake/Cain/(Heston/rookie/Timmeh)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to imagine we will contend with an OF of Pence, Pagan, Blanco, and two rookies.

We have $45mm to spend, IMO. That should be enough for a very good SP and a very good OF. We may have enough left over for a semi-scrapheap SP who can eat some innings if necessary. That might be Timmeh.

Just speculating again - I think they may have rushed Cain back last year because we were scrambling to contend. With a proper off-season of rest, he may be good as a #4.

Bum/Leake/Jake/Cain/(Heston/rookie/Timmeh)
I basically agree about the OF. I just dont think be are looking at a boolean value for the off season based on the OF additions.

I do think the rotation is that black and white, though. Ideally we will get one of the big 2 (Greinke/Price) AND Leake, but I would be OK with JUST one of the top 2, or Leake and one of the second tier guys (Cueto, Zim, etc).

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I basically agree about the OF. I just dont think be are looking at a boolean value for the off season based on the OF additions.

I do think the rotation is that black and white, though. Ideally we will get one of the big 2 (Greinke/Price) AND Leake, but I would be OK with JUST one of the top 2, or Leake and one of the second tier guys (Cueto, Zim, etc).
One outfielder off the market is Colby Rasmus. First free agent ever to accept a qualifying offer.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Angels want long-term success, they should consider trading Mike Trout

Interesting read. The Angels have not been successful at building a championship caliber team around Trout since he's been called up.

This is pure hypothetical/wet dream world, but:

Giants get:
CF-Mike Trout
1B- Pujols (Angels eat 1/2 the contract)

Angels get:
1B-Brandon Belt
2B-Joe Panik
SP-Tyler Beede
SP-Chris Heston
OF-Mac Williamson
PTBNL

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting read. The Angels have not been successful at building a championship caliber team around Trout since he's been called up.

Giants get:
CF-Mike Trout

Angels get:
1B-Brandon Belt
2B-Joe Panik
SP-Tyler Beede
SP-Chris Heston
OF-Mac Williamson
PTBNL

I don't think this trade happens without Susac, Panik, Belt, Beede, and possibly a couple B+ arms like Black and Strickland, just to start. This is Mike Trout we are talking about. He hasn't even hit his prime and he has Bonds-like ability and production.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this trade happens without Susac, Panik, Belt, Beede, and possibly a couple B+ arms like Black and Strickland, just to start. This is Mike Trout we are talking about. He hasn't even hit his prime and he has Bonds-like ability and production.

And we'd have to eat ALL of Pujols' contract

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I would LOVE to have Trout, in order to get him, the Giants would need to disassemble the very nucleus of this team. And I am not in favor of that.

The window may very well be closed (it may not be, as well), but I would like to see what this group can do for another season or two.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Giants get:
CF-Mike Trout

Angels get:
1B-Brandon Belt
2B-Joe Panik
SP-Tyler Beede
SP-Chris Heston
OF-Mac Williamson
PTBNL
If we would have to absorb Pujols, they would have to take Matt Cain, or at least Pagan.

But I like what our farm has produced recently. This would gut our farm and some of our best for years to roll the dice that Trout and Pujols put us over the top. I don't think we have to take that kind of risk.

Good thing this would never happen because as everyone knows, our farm system is terrible. /s

Interesting to think about though.

Last edited:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we would have to absorb Pujols, they would have to take Matt Cain, or at least Pagan.

But I like what our farm has produced recently. This would gut our farm and some of our best for years to roll the dice that Trout and Pujols put us over the top. I don't think we have to take that kind of risk.

Good thing this would never happen because as everyone knows, our farm system is terrible. /s

Interesting to think about though.

You're not seeing this clearly. Pujols' production is almost = Belt's. So you are suggesting they give up Trout, the best player in the game, for Panik and a slight upgrade at first and a couple prospects?

If you want Trout, the bidding starts at Posey or Bumgarner.

Edit: meant in reply to RamsFan88

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When does free agency start? Or has it already. I am hearing about a lot of trades but not any free agents signing yet. I usually know these things but I am drugged up from having a bulging disc in my back and neck.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we'd have to eat ALL of Pujols' contract
Just adding in that Pujols just had foot surgery and will miss opening day at least. And he has one hideous contract to boot, through 2021.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not seeing this clearly. Pujols' production is almost = Belt's. So you are suggesting they give up Trout, the best player in the game, for Panik and a slight upgrade at first and a couple prospects?

If you want Trout, the bidding starts at Posey or Bumgarner.

Edit: meant in reply to RamsFan88

Like I stated, fantasy world. But, I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. Belt could benefit from more hitter friendly parks, increasing his production. Panik is a perennial all star candidate, and they get to rebuild their pitching staff with our prospects. The Giants would have to give up another top prospect. And getting out of most of the Pujols contract allows the Angels to go after additional free agents. But, it will never happen. Just an interesting idea to discuss.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Giants and Price getting some buzz:

NL West Notes: Rockies, Giants, Bochtler

The Giants are doing “background preparation” on David Price, ESPN’s Buster Olney tweets. The Giants are, presumably, far from alone in that regard, but it wouldn’t be surprising if they continued to be connected to Price until the free agent ace picks his next team — the Giants are expected to bid for top talents this offseason, particularly pitchers.​

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Price is my #1 draft pick, it ain't gunna happen. He is going to the Cubs. That fit is just too perfect. Heck, if I were a stud pitcher on the market right now, I would probably pick the Cubs over the Giants as a destination as well. Can you imagine being on the Cubs team that takes it down? That would be worth 100s of millions right there.

Greinke, though, I think is becoming more of a possibility. Anderson accepting the QO is something I think the dogs were at least mildly surprised about. That eats up $$ and a roster spot for them. Not a deal breaker, but it does limit their flexibility just a tad.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Price is my #1 draft pick, it ain't gunna happen. He is going to the Cubs. That fit is just too perfect. Heck, if I were a stud pitcher on the market right now, I would probably pick the Cubs over the Giants as a destination as well. Can you imagine being on the Cubs team that takes it down? That would be worth 100s of millions right there.

Greinke, though, I think is becoming more of a possibility. Anderson accepting the QO is something I think the dogs were at least mildly surprised about. That eats up $$ and a roster spot for them. Not a deal breaker, but it does limit their flexibility just a tad.

Yeah I think Price is a real long shot. He'll do his duty, parade around the Giants-Dodgers-Red Sox-Yankees-Cubs, but he'll eventually go back to his old manager.

FWIW, Greinke likes a lot of Giants players and had said at one point that if he ever left LA, it would only be for a couple of teams. He's a low key guy, don't see him going to an East Coast power. He'll probably stay West where the media isn't as crazy. The only teams out West who are probably in a position to offer a contract are the Giants and dodgers.

One of the pluses about Greinke too is that he's probably not going to drag this out either. He'll hear what teams have to say and make the best decision for himself.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think Price is a real long shot. He'll do his duty, parade around the Giants-Dodgers-Red Sox-Yankees-Cubs, but he'll eventually go back to his old manager.

FWIW, Greinke likes a lot of Giants players and had said at one point that if he ever left LA, it would only be for a couple of teams. He's a low key guy, don't see him going to an East Coast power. He'll probably stay West where the media isn't as crazy. The only teams out West who are probably in a position to offer a contract are the Giants and dodgers.

One of the pluses about Greinke too is that he's probably not going to drag this out either. He'll hear what teams have to say and make the best decision for himself.
Greinke is not a guy who likes the spotlight. What better place to pitch for him then a team that is ignored even when they WIN the World Series.

Make it happen, Sabes!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greinke is not a guy who likes the spotlight. What better place to pitch for him then a team that is ignored even when they WIN the World Series.

Make it happen, Sabes!

Bisbee was a real wet blanket on the whole rosterbation thing. Laid out his case that we only really have like $30mm to spend. He said if we sign Greinke or Price, that's it. Everyone else would have to be league minimum. Ouch.

By the way, it seems to me that if MLB freezes the limit at $189mm before luxury tax kicks in, more and more teams are going to limit themselves to that, and with team revenues going up, more and more teams are going to get to that plateau. It will get more and more like the NFL and the NBA - tougher to build any sort of competitive advantage, much less a dynasty. Waaaaaah!

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bisbee was a real wet blanket on the whole rosterbation thing. Laid out his case that we only really have like $30mm to spend. He said if we sign Greinke or Price, that's it. Everyone else would have to be league minimum. Ouch.

By the way, it seems to me that if MLB freezes the limit at $189mm before luxury tax kicks in, more and more teams are going to limit themselves to that, and with team revenues going up, more and more teams are going to get to that plateau. It will get more and more like the NFL and the NBA - tougher to build any sort of competitive advantage, much less a dynasty. Waaaaaah!
The current CBA expires after this season. There is no way the MLBPA Willa loo was he cap to remain the same with the way the local TV deals are exploding.

Hmmm...

Now that I think about this topic, I think it is time for a new thread...