• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 UFA Wishlist

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avery > Ross. It's that simple. He's put up the kind of numbers over his career that are right in line with a #3/#4 WR and would be better than what we have at the position now for a contract that would likely be at or near the veteran minimum. Seems pretty basic to me. Competition breeds success, if we did sign Avery and he wasn't one of the best 5 or 6 WRs in camp, then we cut him, no real harm done. When we can have 90 players on the roster it makes plenty of sense, imo, to bring in veterans on the cheap to compete for spots in camp. The Patriots just won a Super Bowl basically on the strength of Brady, Gronk, Revis, and 50 role players.

And yes, I know you said Ross' return abilities are the kicker there, but Ross really blew chunks in the return game this season. We need an infusion of talent in the return game, so I think time is up for Ross.

You can shit on me all you want for discussing bringing in free agents (and it's not like I expect us to bring in every guy I bring up, that's just stupid), but if you notice I'm never campaigning for the high-dollar, bug contract guys. I like to discuss the role players who plug holes for cheap- the "value" or "bargain bin" free agents.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so what if he's almost 31. He's not a RB. You guys kill me with this "30" stuff. NFL player's careers are not over at 30, unless they play RB, because RBs take a beating unlike any other position on the field. WRs don't hit the wall at or around 30, and we're talking about a 1 or 2 year deal here. It's not as if I'm suggesting cutting Megatron and Tate and rolling with Avery as our #1 WR. We're talking about a back-up.

:gaah:

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avery > Ross. It's that simple

That statement is a very long way from being that simple. I'm not sure he is a better WR even than Ross and with his return abilities, despite not having been good this past year, that pushes him ahead as the more valuable player.

You are ranking him above Fuller as our #3? Absolutely no way. You are ranking him above Broyles, Jones, and Peacock for the #4 spot? Absolutely no way. Not a chance he offers such a definitive improvement (if any at all) over those guys who offer upside whereas he offers none.

Seems pretty basic to me. Competition breeds success, if we did sign Avery and he wasn't one of the best 5 or 6 WRs in camp, then we cut him, no real harm done.

Well, he'd be #8 entering camp. That seems pretty basic to me. Competition does breed success, so it would make a ton more sense to do that with a young guy who offers upside. 90 bodies or not he's a wasted spot.

You can shit on me all you want for discussing bringing in free agents (and it's not like I expect us to bring in every guy I bring up, that's just stupid), but if you notice I'm never campaigning for the high-dollar, bug contract guys. I like to discuss the role players who plug holes for cheap- the "value" or "bargain bin" free agents

Nobody is shitting on you, but man do you want to bring in a lot of other teams trash. He did absolutely nothing on a Chiefs team who is horrible at the WR spot. He isn't even worth a look.

And this new format sucks ass!! How the hell do you quote only certain sentences instead of the entire thing the way we used to be able to??

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what this comes down to is you simply think Avery isn't worth a shit.

Not sure what you're basing that off of, but I've learned on here that people dislike perfectly decent players for a variety of reasons, with very few of those reasons actually relating to said player's play and/or production.

As for Avery he's topped 500 receiving yards in 4 of his 6 NFL seasons, and those were all the four full seasons he played. In 2011 with Tennessee he really didn't play much before he was injured for the year, and he played very little in the WR graveyard that was KC last year.

I'd imagine that's where you're making up you mind on him- he sucks because he didn't do anything in an offense last year that didn't have any good WRs. If he couldn't step up and stand-out there, then he must be a shitty WR, right? Never mind that the Cheifs passing offense was so terrible that no WR caught a single TD all year, clearly that just shows how bad Avery blows...

He's averaged over 650 yards per in the 4 seasons he's been healthy and utilized within an offense. How on Earth guys like Fuller (whom I like a lot), Ross, Broyles, Jones, and Peacock are as good or better than Avery is well beyond me? None of them have even sniffed his career or single-season production. Collectively I don't all five of them have as many career yards as he does. They might not even collectively have as many career yards as Avery has in his best season. Jones and Peacock have never even played in an NFL game.

I'm not locked into Avery, and I don't think he's a great WR, but the NFL is a production-based business, and the simple fact is that Avery has out-produced any WR on our roster not named Megatron or Golden Tate. Why I have to defend a guy who has been a perfectly acceptable #3/#4 WR for his 6 year NFL career is beyond me, but like I said above, people get these inexplicable bouts of "he sucks" about certain players, and once they do no amount of reality will ever change those incorrect perceptions.

I guess in all this back and fourth I have yet to inquire as to why you hate Avery so much. Perhaps if you explained a bit, maybe offered some analysis of his play and why you think he's such a bad player then I could see you point of view better...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody is shitting on you, but man do you want to bring in a lot of other teams trash. He did absolutely nothing on a Chiefs team who is horrible at the WR spot. He isn't even worth a look.
Ahh- I should have read your whole post before replying- this is exactly what I thought.

If that's the way you feel, then there's no sense in debating. That's about as narrow-minded and dismissive evaluation as one could possibly come up with. Just because the Chief's offense sucked as a whole doesn't mean there's not guys in there who can't be useful players on other teams. Plenty of guys from really shitty teams go on to have solid runs with other teams. Ignoring Avery's career production because he did horrible ONE YEAR in an absolutely horrendous offense is foolish, imo.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about as narrow-minded and dismissive evaluation as one could possibly come up with.

:L
Take a deep breath and remove your head from your ass before you respond with another stupid ass retort. Narrow minded and dismissive?? :wtf2: You do realize this superstar #3 or 4 WR couldn't hold down a job with the team you yourself just described as having a graveyard WR group? Please explain to me how that can happen if he has anything at all worth looking at?? :crazy: Cause what it says is that he is so bad that even a team with shitty WR's doesn't want him.

Here's my favorite sentence in what I can only assume is otherwise an insanity plea on your part.....

Just because the Chief's offense sucked as a whole doesn't mean there's not guys in there who can't be useful players on other teams

WHAT??? :laugh: Let me get this straight......this player, who couldn't help the Chiefs at all can now come to Detroit and help us and your reasoning behind that is he has previously posted good production?? The hell with signing Suh, pay the big bucks for Chris Johnson, look at his past production.

Ignoring Avery's career production because he did horrible ONE YEAR in an absolutely horrendous offense is foolish, imo

Nate Burleson has more career production. Let's get him out of the studio and back in a Lions uniform. Even better, does anyone have the phone number for Mike Thomas agent? Let's bring both of them to camp.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then, I am to gather that Donnie Avery, #3 WR, was the reason the Cheifs offense sucked last year? Very interesting...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City was 10th in rushing and 29th in passing.

We were 28th in rushing and 12th in passing. Averaged 20 some more yards a game, (340.8 to 318.8. 19th and 25th in the league. KC outscored Detroit this season.)with 3 more turnovers.

AJ Jenkins got cut today also.

Last edited:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes we are right on FA's and other times wrong.

I was so pissed at Swarm last spring about Terrell Thomas. I was so fricking wrong on him. Not only did not make a team. He got no calls for injury replacement and now has retired.

Only way to know about Avery is after next season...if he has one?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not crazy about Ginn, but I'd swap him for Ross. I think he's a better return man and a legit deep threat as a #4 or #5 WR. Complete bit player on offense, but the defense would have to respect his blazing speed...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes we are right on FA's and other times wrong.

I was so pissed at Swarm last spring about Terrell Thomas. I was so fricking wrong on him. Not only did not make a team. He got no calls for injury replacement and now has retired.

Only way to know about Avery is after next season...if he has one?
I was right there with you on TT. There's another piece to that puzzle we're not seeing- he doesn't go from a successful come-back season with the Giants in 2013 to out of the league in 2014 without something happening on the injury front during the offseason, imo...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just happy we are not constantly talking about bringing in every available CB in the league this offseason. Not that I would not want one, but he would have to be somewhat high quality or be young and have a high upside. No more looking at other teams trash.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
raidersb_logo.gif
Oakland Raiders:
2/6: "Whatever his asking price, the Raiders obviously don’t agree with it and so far seem willing to let Stefen Wisniewski hit the free agent market." - Michael Wagaman, ESPN
2015 NFL Free Agent Rumors - WalterFootball.com

BB_72; I'm quite surprised to read this seems as though OAK has a boatload of $$$ to throw around this off-season. I know tpaul had mentioned Wis previously. I would feel a helluva lot better with the O-Line if Mayhew were to sign one of OC Hudson/Wisniewski, thus moving Swanson over to LG.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions To Sign DE/OLB Phillip Hunt | NFL Trade Rumors
ESPN’s Adam Caplan reports that the Lions are signing former Eagles and Colts DE/OLB Phillip Hunt to a contract on Thursday.

Hunt, 29, originally signed with the Browns as an undrafted free agent out of Houston back in 2009. He wound up playing two seasons for the Eagles before they waived/injured him last August.

Hunt, unfortunately, suffered an ACL injury that required surgery back in 2013 and wound up missing the entire season.

He hasn’t appeared in an NFL game since 2012 when he was playing for the Eagles. That year, he recorded eight tackles and a sack over the course of 13 games.

Phillip Hunt, LB for the Indianapolis Colts at NFL.com

Adam Caplan@caplannfl Follow

#Lions DL Coach Kris Kocurek is a Jim Washburn disciple. Lions looking to develop Hunt like they did DE George Johnson.

2:54 PM - 26 Feb 2015

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting signing. Apparently the Daryl Tapp DE/OLB role is something they plan on keeping around, because this guy is in that same mold. Very athletic- 4.6 40, 41" vertical. Successful CFL pass rusher. I can't imagine he'll make the final 53 next summer, but I would have said the exact same thing about George Johnson last offseason...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Hartline and Harry Douglas were both released today in cap-related moves.

Either one would upgrade our WR3 spot, imo. I wouldn't pay much for either guy, but if one of them would take a team-friendly two year deal and we could send Jeremy Ross on down the road when roster cuts roll around next summer I'd be happy with that.

Hartline would definitely be my preference out of the two. He's only 28, has plus-size, plus-speed, and has been pretty productive the last few years with 189 receptions for 2,539 yards over the last 3 seasons. I think he's still a capable WR2, so he may be priced out of our market, or not interested in being the 4th or 5th option in the passing game, but if the price is right he'd be a big upgrade over Ross while allowing Fuller to keep developing.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I can get on board with both Hartline and Douglas. Hartline's productivity was down. Seemed to have great hands found the open spot with some really shitty QB play for a few years. Wallace may have been reason for lower numbers last year.
Douglas was sitting behind best duo of WRs IMO in the league. When they went down his numbers were good When forced to #2 WR. Douglas would my first choice of the names mentioned so far by you.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Douglas is a ditto for me. He is highly under-rated IMO but I'm also content with having Fuller as our #3 with Riddick and TJ Jones as #4 and #5, however that may work out between them. Riddick or Jones should be able to handle KR duties, IMO or maybe Peacock