• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA signings that make no sense - ESPN Insider

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soon to change when the Cards sign AP.

Hope it happens. Trade away those picks for a 30 year old banged up runningback who has been out of the league a year. Makes NO sense in a VERY deep runningback class in this years draft.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shockingly I disagree with all of them.

The Colts? Really? Replace their vet WR with a vet WR. Gore is 32, yeah 32 times better than Trent Richardson. And healthier than Bradshaw. Cole? Pretty good pass rusher if you ask me. Certainly won't hurt them.

Cards? Said to be in the AP sweepstakes, maybe they'd like a more balanced attack? Surely, Iupati doesn't make their line worse.

Chiefs? Kind of need a receiver. Reid knows him more than anyone. Nothing makes more sense.

Eagles? Signing Mathews at that price is a solid move. Especially knowing he's the back up. Both are injury prone, so he's doubling up.

Jags? Who gives a shit?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope it happens. Trade away those picks for a 30 year old banged up runningback who has been out of the league a year. Makes NO sense in a VERY deep runningback class in this years draft.
The Cards are eyeing a SB run. Rookies don't get that done for the most part. Makes no sense if a team was looking to rebuild or build for the future but the Cards are looking for ring this season. JMO here really but I see AP on that team by next week.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the name of the game in FA is not to get the best bargain, but to improve your team NOW. FA is intentionally set up for gross overpays.
The best way to improve a team and stay under the salary cap is with good drafting. The teams with consistent winning records operate this way.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards are eyeing a SB run. Rookies don't get that done for the most part. Makes no sense if a team was looking to rebuild or build for the future but the Cards are looking for ring this season. JMO here really but I see AP on that team by next week.
The Cardinals need a decent QB and not a RB.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at the Iupati comments. His signing makes perfect sense. The Cards were terrible running the ball in 2014. The interior O-line needed upgrading. Iupati is one of the best run blockers in the NFL. While he is an average to bellow average in pass protection, he was still remarkably better in pass protection in 2014 than the guys he is replacing.

For all the talk about Palmer is going to get hit & injured , the Cards were one of the better teams in pass protection last season. And Iupati is an upgrade in pass protection over Fanaika & Larsen. Palmer's injury was a fluke non contact injury.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have lined up some good QBs only to see them get knocked out. The key for this team is to have a solid OL and a running game.
The NFL has become a pass happy league with less importance placed on the running game.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but ignoring FA completely is like forgetting to add icing to a cake.
I agree with you on this point but some teams go crazy and find themselves in cap hell by overpaying in hopes of instant success.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best way to insure long term success is by draft and development. The Packers are a good example of this method.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the talk about Palmer is going to get hit & injured , the Cards were one of the better teams in pass protection last season. And Iupati is an upgrade in pass protection over Fanaika & Larsen. Palmer's injury was a fluke non contact injury.

PFF rated the Cards as the 22nd best pass protection unit in football. PFF is a definitive source but they usually a pretty close to the truth.

Granted the Cards run block was pretty bad too.

So I don't really know if the signing was good or bad.

The Colts and Eagles made the biggest head scratchers for me.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF rated the Cards as the 22nd best pass protection unit in football. PFF is a definitive source but they usually a pretty close to the truth.

Granted the Cards run block was pretty bad too.

So I don't really know if the signing was good or bad.

The Colts and Eagles made the biggest head scratchers for me.

The Cardinals allowed the 6th least amount of sacks in the NFL. And Palmer played with a pretty clean pocket most of the time when he was in lineup. I would contend that PFF's ranking is skewed because the Cardinals had to play a 4th string QB the last quarter of the season, thus taking more hits & sacks than normally would have been the case if Palmer or Stanton was in there. I doubt PFF factors in who the QB was into their rankings.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is something everyone should consider, those whose teams are realistically in the hunt.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't.

Scares the hell outta me that Minny will load up on picks for a past his prime RB.

They're young enough as it is. And were better without AP anyway. But they'll score big by unloading AP on someone, Im sure of it.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Fairley to the Rams. Aren't the Rams loaded on the DL?

Maybe the article was written before he signed...but...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Fairley to the Rams. Aren't the Rams loaded on the DL?

Maybe the article was written before he signed...but...

Fairley was cheap. 1 year $5M? Might as well. How Seattle didn't pick up on that and sign him is beyond me. Always good to have rotation. Having Donald/Brockers/Fairley/Carrington rotating along with Quinn/Long will be a disgusting line.

I don't think they have a better 4 starting cast than the Bills, but they have a stronger defensive line in aggregate.