• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA signings that make no sense - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indianapolis Colts among five teams that made questionable free-agent signings - NFL - ESPN
By Sam Monson

NFL free agency represents a brief period of each offseason where fans get to dream a little. The market is full of quality potential additions to every roster, and most teams (especially this year) have money to spend that is burning a hole in their pockets.

Then that hope gets dashed by signings that just don't make sense. The money gets squandered, and the dream free agent heads to somebody else's roster.

Let's take a look at five teams that have made such moves during the first week of free agency in 2015:

Note: For our grades on all the big deals so far, click here.

Indianapolis Colts: The 2010 Pro Bowl roster

For some reason, the Colts appear to be stuck in a time warp this free agency period. They have signed Andre Johnson, Frank Gore and Trent Cole, all of whom were at the top of their game four years ago when they made the 2010 Pro Bowl rosters. There's an argument that 2010 was Todd Herremans' best season, too (another Colts signing); and if it wasn't, his was even longer ago, back in 2008.

Any one of these signings in isolation makes sense. Every team needs a smattering of veteran leadership and experience on the field and throughout the roster, and most teams have guys like this in any given season. It's going out and signing a whole platoon of them that makes no sense.

Each of these players appears to objectively be on the decline from his best form, and the chances are that each is more likely to continue that downward trend given their age and the adjustment of moving to a new team than they are to reverse it. The Colts have signed a collection of players at positions of need who are all fading in ability, while for the most part ignoring younger options, despite having the money to spend. One or two of these signings may work out and represent upgrades to the team, but it's a senseless approach to free agency overall from Indianapolis.

Arizona Cardinals: Mike Iupati, G

There is no doubt that Mike Iupati was one of the best guards available this free agency period, if not the best, and Arizona's play at the position last year was horrible, so on the face of it this deal makes perfect sense, right? The issue is that Iupati is a pretty one-dimensional player -- strong and powerful as a run-blocker, but struggling throughout his career as a pass protector.

Arizona passes far more than San Francisco does, and when they pass it tends to be a deep shot on a deep dropback -- the toughest assignment for a pass protector. In 2014, the 49ers passed on 58.1 percent of their plays on offense, 25th in the league, and Iupati surrendered seven sacks, the most in the league at the position. While some of that can be explained by Iupati carrying an injury much of the season, he has never earned a positive grade at PFF over a season for pass protection, grading below average every single year as a pro. The Cardinals needed to upgrade at guard, but they have done so by bringing in one singularly unqualified to fit their offense.

Kansas City Chiefs: Jeremy Maclin, WR

The Chiefs needed a wide receiver; that's no secret. Their stretch of no touchdowns being scored by a wideout has become infamous, and it now stretches 18 games, back to the 2013 season. The issue is that they threw a lot of money at a player who has only really shown the ability to be a difference-maker once: last season, in Chip Kelly's unconventional offense.

Under Kelly this past season, Maclin played a career-high 1,043 snaps, earned a career-high plus-9.1 PFF grade, was targeted a career-high 140 times, caught a career-high 85 balls for a career-high 1,318 and a career-high 10 touchdowns. Can you spot the trend? He also dropped a career-low number of passes; just one.

If you compare those to his career averages before Kelly arrived -- or, under Andy Reid, the coach he will now be rejoining in Kansas City -- he averaged 173 fewer snaps, 39 fewer targets, 21 fewer receptions, 456 fewer yards and three fewer touchdowns. And Andy Reid just OK'd a contract that pays Maclin $11 million per season. That makes him the sixth-highest paid receiver in the league, fourth if you discount Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas, who are playing at the moment on the one-year inflated figure of the franchise tag.

Maclin's numbers may go up from his Reid average in Philadelphia now that he is the undisputed No. 1 WR in Kansas City, but the tape shows a player who is unlikely to match, or even approach, his 2014 totals.

Philadelphia Eagles: Ryan Mathews, RB

The Eagles' merry-go-round at running back has been entertaining, to say the least. In pretty rapid succession, they have gone from a presumed starter of LeSean McCoy to Frank Gore to Ryan Mathews and now to DeMarco Murray. The final move left Mathews presumably out in the cold, but rather than walk out on the agreed deal, he elected to sign with the Eagles anyway, consigning him to the bench or spot duty at best.

The Eagles may not want to punish Murray with the workload he received in Dallas in 2014 (449 total touches, the sixth most in NFL history), but they're not going to let him become just another back in a committee. Darren Sproles is there to provide the hands out of the backfield, leaving not a whole lot left for Mathews to do.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Jared Odrick, DL

All of the moves the Jaguars made fit with what they are trying to do, but they just leave you with the sense that the team lacked ambition, given the war chest in cap space they had to play with before free agency opened. Odrick perhaps represents that the best, though the signings of Davon House and Jermey Parnell would both be good examples, too.

Odrick (along with House and Parnell) is a player who has ability, and can have an impact for the Jags, but this is a team that needs huge upgrades. They were one of the few that had the money to go hard after Ndamukong Suh, who would have represented a far bigger upgrade and something of a coup for the Jags. Odrick will likely do well, and now that the team has cut Red Bryant, he seems to have a much more clearly defined role. But, it just smacks of heading out to buy a new sports car and coming home with something sensible that has good fuel economy.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree on some. This was Maclin's first season as the "#1 guy". He has always had talent. Of course if he is targeted less he'll have worse stats. I do agree that he was way overpaid, but if I am putting a WR on the list it is Torry Smith. He is average and paid like a #1. At least Maclin has some talent.

Ryan Mathews should be 1st, 2nd and 3rd on this list!!!!

I think Iupati was a good signing for the exact reason they mentioned. They want to run more, so wouldn't upgrading your OL be part of the way to do that?

I also like the Indy moves. They are looking for these guys to contribute, not be stars. If they hit on a couple of them it will have been worth it.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh McCown makes no f-ing sense

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the name of the game in FA is not to get the best bargain, but to improve your team NOW. FA is intentionally set up for gross overpays.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with what the Eagles did. Sign both Murray and Matthews, both of whom are probably #1 backs on teams. Should have used the money spent on Matthews or Murray on someone else.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with what the Eagles did. Sign both Murray and Matthews, both of whom are probably #1 backs on teams. Should have used the money spent on Matthews or Murray on someone else.

Exactly. Just doesn't make sense. If you want to give Murray a huge contract with Sproles and Polk on the team it's risky, but defendable. I see no way to defend the Mathews signing whatsoever...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their thoughts on the Cards signing Mike Iupati is exactly what I've been saying. Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Nate Allen getting close to $6 million a year is a huge overpay for the Raiders.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Nate Allen getting close to $6 million a year is a huge overpay for the Raiders.
Well, they are so far below the cap that they can probably just overpay and front load the few who are willing to take the money. Rodney Hudson is making 12M this upcoming year. 12M at center.

Really disappointing FA period for the Raiders given the high hopes there were for it.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Raiders needed to overpay players to meet the cap min.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
indy signings is for one thing only not every down players . gore will tag team with vick ballard to keep both fresh and healthy . heremans is a back up to cherilus if he goes down not a big drop off or guard . the colts have alot of 23 -24 yo linemen that need to learn from vets . all these guys will fight to keep their jobs from the youngsters . Indianapolis Colts 2014 Team Player Roster - ESPN
look at the ages . we will be drafting alot on the D side . maybe 2 or 3 safeties

when you are a young team you have huge up's and downs . vets are more of a straight line .

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their thoughts on the Cards signing Mike Iupati is exactly what I've been saying. Interesting article, thanks for sharing.
That Is why the 49ers let him walk. They didnt want to pay that much for a guard who doesnt pass block well.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tedman2012if hif post: 6347120 said:
indy signings is for one thing only not every down players . gore will tag team with vick ballard to keep both fresh and healthy . heremans is a back up to cherilus if he goes down not a big drop off or guard . the colts have alot of 23 -24 yo linemen that need to learn from vets . all these guys will fight to keep their jobs from the youngsters . Indianapolis Colts 2014 Team Player Roster - ESPN
look at the ages . we will be drafting alot on the D side . maybe 2 or 3 safeties

when you are a young team you have huge up's and downs . vets are more of a straight line .
Gore will be okay If his reps are limited and line opens lanes for him. He is not like Lynch. He wont run defenders over.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore will be okay If his reps are limited and line opens lanes for him. He is not like Lynch. He wont run defenders over.
seen his highlights he hits the hole and not dance like trent

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Is why the 49ers let him walk. They didnt want to pay that much for a guard who doesnt pass block well.
Funny thing is, he probably works better with the 49ers, because Kaep is mobile. Geez with a old QB who needs a clean pocket this makes no sense. I feel it was kind of a revenue signing for the Cards, pay back for the 49ers signing Dockett. I doubt they sign MI if is was on say...the Jags last year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seen his highlights he hits the hole and not dance like trent

Gore is a great runner. He has great vision and hits his spots quickly. It is the reason he can still play. He needs to be that way. He has definitely lost a step and doesn't have the burst he used to and as I mentioned before, he can't steamroll defenders like lynch.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is, he probably works better with the 49ers, because Kaep is mobile. Geez with a old QB who needs a clean pocket this makes no sense. I feel it was kind of a revenue signing for the Cards, pay back for the 49ers signing Dockett. I doubt they sign MI if is was on say...the Jags last year.

You think so? I don't know. I think the AZ front office is too smart for a revenge signing. These moves are just business for them. Iupati was ranked high on the FA list. I guess teams will overpay sometimes. I have watched him completely whiff on blocks. During the season, the 49ers play by play guy even commented on Iupati missing pass blocking assignments after games. I wouldn't have minded him coming back, but not at that price. He would be earning more than both of our starting tackles.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think so? I don't know. I think the AZ front office is too smart for a revenge signing. These moves are just business for them. Iupati was ranked high on the FA list. I guess teams will overpay sometimes. I have watched him completely whiff on blocks. During the season, the 49ers play by play guy even commented on Iupati missing pass blocking assignments after games. I wouldn't have minded him coming back, but not at that price. He would be earning more than both of our starting tackles.

I can't think of another reason for the Cards signing him. They need a OG, but they needed someone who could protect Palmer , hopefully a above average pass blocker. Instead they sign a OG who sucks at pass blocking. Makes no sense.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with all exception Iupati. Yah the Cards pass more than the 9ers, but that's because they have zero choice. When you're dead last in YPC (3.3) in the NFL, you have to pass. Because your run game is so atrocious passing becomes your only option.

I agree with the article if Arizona will continue passing a ton and not running the rock. I disagree if the signing of Iupati means an attempted slight transformation in their offensive playcalling, which I'm sure it will considering an injury prone QB.

Suh for the Phins should be on here just because of the ridiculous size of the contract.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with all exception Iupati. Yah the Cards pass more than the 9ers, but that's because they have zero choice. When you're dead last in YPC (3.3) in the NFL, you have to pass. Because your run game is so atrocious passing becomes your only option.

I agree with the article if Arizona will continue passing a ton and not running the rock. I disagree if the signing of Iupati means an attempted slight transformation in their offensive playcalling, which I'm sure it will considering an injury prone QB.

Suh for the Phins should be on here just because of the ridiculous size of the contract.
Soon to change when the Cards sign AP.