• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 UFA Wishlist

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, there's nothing wrong with my math skills, I can promise that. Calc and Trig get pretty fuzzy for me because it's been a while, but I use a lot of applied math every day at work, so stuff like contract numbers come very naturally to me...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS is the year where it's ok to go ahead and sign multiple deals to lesser first year cap hits than what you might otherwise like to do because you can go ahead and jump them up big in year two so they level out in the third year and final contract years.

key words right there fellas, you both lose out, IMO... multiple deals=multiple players, then you get lower 1st yr contract in order to get those multiple players.... also because Suh's 9.7M, Bush's 3.5M and Houston's 3.9M all gone next yr= MO money... cap raise next yr, new TV contract kicks in = larger cap increase.... = MO MONEY... and that = higher cap hits for those multiple players signed this yr for next yr.... still have to renew Levy and Reiff next yr. tho

also, got to remember those three player's dead money is 17M alone + you add in another 12-15M cap raise next yr from that new tv contract you can raise cap hits from this yrs signings

Last edited:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Eviler understands the cap hit rules much better than I do, though...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
key words right there fellas, you both lose out, IMO... multiple deals=multiple players, then you get lower 1st yr contract in order to get those multiple players.... also because Suh's 9.7M, Bush's 3.5M and Houston's 3.9M all gone next yr= MO money... cap raise next yr, new TV contract kicks in = larger cap increase.... = MO MONEY... and that = higher cap hits for those multiple players signed this yr for next yr.... still have to renew Levy and Reiff next yr. tho

I understood the multiple deals. I just spoke of one contract and what he was somewhat saying.

I know you can't use set escalators anymore. So that was the new way around it. As long as a FA is happy with his guaranteed money. It will work.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

also, got to remember those three player's dead money is 17M alone + you add in another 12-15M cap raise next yr from that new tv contract you can raise cap hits from this yrs signings
So for the Lions, trying to get more money on the back end is better. For the Raiders or Jags you get the big hits early then you still have cap room in 3-4 years and not strangled when you need to extend say a guy likeCarr.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy......

They should do nothing on CJ's contract, and I mean nothing.

Stafford on an extension is a thought I find interesting, but for next year. If he was cooperative in extending another three years but doing so for perhaps only a slight raise, say to $18.5m, in exchange for a large signing bonus (say $30m) that could create space and some layering opportunities. ESPECIALLY if CJ were to get on board next offseason in accepting a pay cut. Put those two things together and the Lions cap situation is going to change dramatically, especially with the dead $ on Suh gone.

Unfortunately there is no way to change the layering in a restructure because the remaining years don't change and you've just shifted more $ on to those remaining years. It's entirely a kicked can, it can't be anything else

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Gandy, I would think so for NEXT YR ONLY, when talking about this yrs. possible multiple signings, if Suh doesn't come back. Just in this one yr solely, I believe is what I'm interpreting.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I definitely missed the boat on what the good DR. was saying

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ could and most likely still make more money staying a Lion and taking a cut in pay than hitting the market if he does have a another down year.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So for the Lions, trying to get more money on the back end is better. For the Raiders or Jags you get the big hits early then you still have cap room in 3-4 years and not strangled when you need to extend say a guy likeCarr.

That is exactly correct.

As much as I am fascinated to see how our front office approaches this offseason I am even more fascinated to see how the Raiders and Jags structure deals.

That situation should be a good (GM/president/cap guru) wet dream. Those two teams should be able to very easily get pretty much ANY free agent they want for the next decade if they run the numbers right.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I definitely missed the boat on what the good DR. was saying
You said it exactly correct and gave even more detail. I only referenced the dead $ on Suh, never even gave thought to Houston and Bush.

We are effectively giving ourselves a gigantic raise by having all of that dead $ from our previous mistakes being gone. So you can be aggressive in FA, even more so than our current $17m in space might seem because large second year cap hits can fold right into that suddenly available money without relying on a cap increase.

Next year you could then look at extending Stafford, cutting guys like Tulloch, cutting or pay cut CJ. There is plenty of additional space to very easily be made. I am sorry that we had to lose Suh to make it happen but we stand on the verge of possibly being in a good cap position

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Lewand structures the deals should coincide with who they sign and how many guys they bring in. Having all new guys getting big 3rd year deals makes no sense as it pressures the Lions to do something stupid like restricting Stafford again.

The contract to work around IMO will be Levy's deal. Having the flexibility to sign him and structure it so you don't have a high bonus come due the same time as say Ansah is the key to avoid the circle jerk that is restructuring.

The Lions front office got played by Suh. He restructured his deals in a way where he knew he would be an unrestricted FA without worry of a tag at a young age. Suh could actually parlay 2 more big deals if he plays it right.

I agree with Dr Evil under no circumstance restructure CJ's contract. You can not pay a 30+ year old wideout with injury concerns like you pay AJ Green or Julio Jones. CJ can still be offered a fair deal when his current deal ends without to much competition. Getting older is a bitch.