• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 coaching HOT SEAT

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because there is not a good QB to be found in the NFL or draft that would is available. Hell, even average QB's are rare as hen's teeth.

My guess is the Rams hoped they would luck out on the cheap, and get at least an average QB in that deal. I honestly wonder what they were looking at on game tape for last season (or even the end of the 2013 season).

Either Bradford or Kaepernick will be the best QB available this offseason. Hell, Foles probably would be 3rd best in that line.

I think when teams look at this upcoming draft what they see is a huge lack of anything at the QB spot. There was an NFL scout the other day that said "if you are a team picking in the top-10 you better hope you are not one of them needing a QB because right now the 2 best in this class are from Memphis and North Dakota State and as a GM do you really feel comfortable using such a premium pick on such an unknown?"

You are right even average play in the league seems to be lacking. You are either great or just down right terrible.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I wasn't expecting the world from Foles, I had no idea he was this bad. He literally has no ability to throw more than 10 yards

And one of the rumours out here in Philadelphia is that Kelly actually was aware of Foles being mediocre at best in 2013, but that Howie Roseman (then GM) basically blocked Kelly from drafting a QB (as Foles was a Roseman/Reid pick of the season before). This then played into the front office mess of 2014 (firing of the Kelly personnel man Tom Gamble by Roseman) that ended up with Kelly becoming GM (with after Roseman's actions Kelly basically sending Lurie an ultimatum it would be either him or Roseman that had to go).

Last night Bradford made number of plays that Foles would never ever have made.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because there is not a good QB to be found in the NFL or draft that would is available. Hell, even average QB's are rare as hen's teeth.

My guess is the Rams hoped they would luck out on the cheap, and get at least an average QB in that deal. I honestly wonder what they were looking at on game tape for last season (or even the end of the 2013 season).

Either Bradford or Kaepernick will be the best QB available this offseason. Hell, Foles probably would be 3rd best in that line.

RGIII will be available as well. He desperately needs a change of scenery but could be a productive QB in the right environment.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one of the rumours out here in Philadelphia is that Kelly actually was aware of Foles being mediocre at best in 2013, but that Howie Roseman (then GM) basically blocked Kelly from drafting a QB (as Foles was a Roseman/Reid pick of the season before). This then played into the front office mess of 2014 (firing of the Kelly personnel man Tom Gamble by Roseman) that ended up with Kelly becoming GM (with after Roseman's actions Kelly basically sending Lurie an ultimatum it would be either him or Roseman that had to go).

Last night Bradford made number of plays that Foles would never ever have made.
The thing about Bradford is that he has had multiple bad injuries. I think you're right in the Rams just dumping him for whatever they could get because if Bradford got injured again they were all out of jobs. Foles actually made some throws in Week 1 that Bradford would never make. Foles from week 2 on was awful in every way but its not like Case Keenum came in and did any better. Rams have a real WR and TE problem, too. Tavon Austin is an excellent RB and return guy but his WR skills are subpar. Kenny Britt is an average #2 WR posing as a #1 WR. Everyone else is pure trash. I think Jared Cook and Brian Quick had a combined 13 targets yesterday and compiled 36 yards on those 13 targets. Wes Welker honestly shouldn't even be in the league.

Any team that commits to Bradford long term is going to regret it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RGIII will be available as well. He desperately needs a change of scenery but could be a productive QB in the right environment.

I think with RGIII he needs a year away from the league. I think he needs to be willing to surround himself with people that are not just yes men but will tell him as it is. Right now his biggest problem is himself. He has the talent to be very successful in this league but he doesn't ever see himself as the problem. If he would be willing to step back and see there is plenty he still needs to learn then I think we could see a great redemption story. I don't think he has the humility to do that though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey Bosa is the best player in this draft. I expect any team that passes on him to regret it.

He might be, but I don't see it. At the same time, I've only seen the youngster play a few times. Size is sort of a tweener.

Is he the next JJ Watt, or Cam Heyward...2 way 3-4 DE?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when teams look at this upcoming draft what they see is a huge lack of anything at the QB spot. There was an NFL scout the other day that said "if you are a team picking in the top-10 you better hope you are not one of them needing a QB because right now the 2 best in this class are from Memphis and North Dakota State and as a GM do you really feel comfortable using such a premium pick on such an unknown?"
Also the same guy that wouldn't have picked Cam Newton. Everyone rolls the dice on QBs but the thing about most franchise QBs is that most of the have solid teams around them from day 1

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time understanding what that environment could be.
He seems clueless in the pocket and is too jittery to go through his progressions
He seems to not be able to read defenses.
He seems too fragile to run much

Maybe he still can be coached up but if I'm a team I would have to start him at a Veteran's minimum with heavy up incentives, otherwise I would have a tough time taking a flyer on him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the same guy that wouldn't have picked Cam Newton. Everyone rolls the dice on QBs but the thing about most franchise QBs is that most of the have solid teams around them from day 1

Good point. I just think this class of QB just doesn't have that top tier stud that teams are going to fight over. Now given you are right the same thing was said of Cam and his class. I just think that this year's class you will not see any of them be that step in day 1 and be that great player. This year we have seen Winston and Mariota both have some very promising games. I don't think this class has that in them. They are the type that really need that year to learn. If they get that opportunity then I do think a guy like Goff or Lynch could really do well in the NFL. Unfortunately good chance they are taken by bad teams that don't give them that opportunity and they are viewed as busts 3 years later.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. I just think this class of QB just doesn't have that top tier stud that teams are going to fight over. Now given you are right the same thing was said of Cam and his class. I just think that this year's class you will not see any of them be that step in day 1 and be that great player. This year we have seen Winston and Mariota both have some very promising games. I don't think this class has that in them. They are the type that really need that year to learn. If they get that opportunity then I do think a guy like Goff or Lynch could really do well in the NFL. Unfortunately good chance they are taken by bad teams that don't give them that opportunity and they are viewed as busts 3 years later.
QBs are the only category Ive watched tape on. I like Lynch and Cook and dislike Goff. The guy from NDSt is probably a year off.

Id probably take a chance at Lynch and Cook over Kaepernick or Bradford.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Tennessee job opens up I could see Kelly encouraging the Eagles to let him go. Maybe TN doesn't give him all the power he had in Philly but I could still see them giving him a decent level. Even if they don't I could see Kelly still wanting the job with the chance to work with the QB that best fits his system in Mariota.

Cleveland they are just a complete mess. It wouldnt' surprise me either way they go on this decision. It does seem though when things are not perfect the Coach seems to catch the brunt of the blame. From what I understand people who have worked in that FO have said it is a terrible environment with people who just don't know what they are doing. So again I could see them going many directions this off season.

Yeah...now if you're PHI, and you know he wants to go work with Mariota...sure Chip, a 2nd round pick will do....lol. The Eagles would have to get something.

CLE has been a hot mess, and I think Pettine's job is probably on the line with these blow out losses. The Browns have just been so dire for so long @ QB...I would have to roll the dice on the Paxton kid if he was there...at the same time...if Bosa is truly a can't miss edge rusher, I would have no problem add him to Shelton @ NT and maybe going after Mettenberger...or try to get back into the 1st round and get the 3rd QB of this crop off the board, but I don't see any of them lasting until the 2nd rd.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs are the only category Ive watched tape on. I like Lynch and Cook and dislike Goff. The guy from NDSt is probably a year off.

Id probably take a chance at Lynch and Cook over Kaepernick or Bradford.

Lynch I will give you. I've watched quite a few of his games and I do think if he goes to the right situation and they don't ask too much of him as a rookie then I think he can find success. Cook though I'm having a harder time getting behind. He has those games that leave you going "This guy really could be the 1st pick in the draft" and then he follows that up with a game that makes you think he is a 6th round pick. I've seen games where he is wildly erratic with where he is trying to throw the football. I've seen his receivers have to try and make circus catches that if done in the NFL probably gets his receiver killed. That is why I think he is a player that needs a year to develop. He needs to just not even worry about starting and just work with a QB Coach every single day on his mechanics. I think the head is there to be great but just needs time to have his body better learn what he is seeing.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This guy really could be the 1st pick in the draft" and then he follows that up with a game that makes you think he is a 6th round pick.
Isn't that what the average NFL QB actually is? The Jay Cutler/Eli Mannings/Andrew Lucks of the world.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that what the average NFL QB actually is? The Jay Cutler/Eli Mannings/Andrew Lucks of the world.

I guess you could say that. Then to me they are not worth a top-10 pick. I've seen some draft boards with Cook going 1st overall and I guess I just don't get it. Maybe I haven't watched the right games but I just don't see that franchise guy. I see the guy that you are using until you can find the guy you actually want. Which I guess that is what Cutler has been so far in his career. I would argue against the other two though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are right even average play in the league seems to be lacking. You are either great or just down right terrible.

I think you have to look at the talent...a lot of these same scouts said Newton would be a bust and everyone said Luck was can't miss...Bortles didn't come from a power 5 conference...I think you and I have said in the past...if you're taking a QB or LT#1, I think you have to look beyond 3 yrs for the ROI to make sense.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you could say that. Then to me they are not worth a top-10 pick. I've seen some draft boards with Cook going 1st overall and I guess I just don't get it. Maybe I haven't watched the right games but I just don't see that franchise guy. I see the guy that you are using until you can find the guy you actually want. Which I guess that is what Cutler has been so far in his career. I would argue against the other two though.
If you think Cook is bad then watch Goff. Every throw is behind his receiver, he plays way out of control and he launches deep ball way too far (which in the NFL might actually get caught by quicker receivers but I digress)

Qbs coming out of college perfect is a total myth.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to look at the talent...a lot of these same scouts said Newton would be a bust and everyone said Luck was can't miss...Bortles didn't come from a power 5 conference...I think you and I have said in the past...if you're taking a QB or LT#1, I think you have to look beyond 3 yrs for the ROI to make sense.

I agree...My problem with this QB class is teams will take them way too early and play them way too early and unfortunately what we see is many of these guys are so beaten down that they just can't get back mentally when they do reach that point where we should see growth. If these QB's go to the right place with the right coaches then yeah I can see them being successful. Just have to wait and see who drafts them and what the expectations are from day 1.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...My problem with this QB class is teams will take them way too early and play them way too early and unfortunately what we see is many of these guys are so beaten down that they just can't get back mentally when they do reach that point where we should see growth. If these QB's go to the right place with the right coaches then yeah I can see them being successful. Just have to wait and see who drafts them and what the expectations are from day 1.

Using CLE...but I guess it could apply to HOU and SF as well.

1st round grade for QB doesn't mean they're NFL ready to start, but with the new CBA, you can't really afford to allow your rookie QB to sit an entire season. Tough balancing act, when you're bad and need a QB, it's just one of those learning curve issues...it's rare a young QB comes into a situation like Russell Wilson....most of these teams are more than a QB away from being decent it seems.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using CLE...but I guess it could apply to HOU and SF as well.

1st round grade for QB doesn't mean they're NFL ready to start, but with the new CBA, you can't really afford to allow your rookie QB to sit an entire season. Tough balancing act, when you're bad and need a QB, it's just one of those learning curve issues...it's rare a young QB comes into a situation like Russell Wilson....most of these teams are more than a QB away from being decent it seems.

Good point. I just think this is why we see so many young players failing though. They are going to bad teams being asked to start and produce way before they are ready and teams are just quitting on them way too early. To me when you look at the top teams in the league right now they have been working hard to develop a QB more so than bank on a rookie stepping in and producing. If this is a copy cat league I would think more teams would be working towards that. Now given a team with a good veteran usually has more time to wait than a team that has ownership and fans wanting a quick turnaround. Just seems like a lose/lose situation for those teams that continually keep losing. What they need to do they are not given the time to do.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. I just think this is why we see so many young players failing though. They are going to bad teams being asked to start and produce way before they are ready and teams are just quitting on them way too early. To me when you look at the top teams in the league right now they have been working hard to develop a QB more so than bank on a rookie stepping in and producing.
Is that true? I dont think thats actually true. QBs are expected to show something right away. I think I heard Bruce Arians say that a QB doesnt learn anything important on the bench..you have to play him.