• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last offseason Sherman had us going after Price and Cano. He thought we would be the team to land Cano and then we would trade Profar for Price and move Kinsler to another position. I tell you these national guys have no idea when it comes to the Rangers. Eventually one in 50 rumors regarding the Rangers turns out to be true because they got lucky, but no one remembers the 49 times the rumors were wrong. JD does not let anyone know who he is going after. He never has. The Rangers don't allow loose lips in the organization apparently.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last offseason Sherman had us going after Price and Cano. He thought we would be the team to land Cano and then we would trade Profar for Price and move Kinsler to another position. I tell you these national guys have no idea when it comes to the Rangers. Eventually one in 50 rumors regarding the Rangers turns out to be true because they got lucky, but no one remembers the 49 times the rumors were wrong. JD does not let anyone know who he is going after. He never has. The Rangers don't allow loose lips in the organization apparently.

So true. I think about so many of the moves they've made that just hit us from nowhere. The prince trade (which I still maintain is good), Garza (just didn't pan out), Young trade, Rios, and I'm sure I'm leaving out others.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So true. I think about so many of the moves they've made that just hit us from nowhere. The prince trade (which I still maintain is good), Garza (just didn't pan out), Young trade, Rios, and I'm sure I'm leaving out others.

Cliff Lee trade.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you might even be giving them too much credit with the 1 in 50 guesstimate. I can't recall them ever getting a Rangers rumor correct. Cliff Lee was a guaranteed Yankee, Yu Darvish was a Blue Jay, we were definitely signing both McCann and Cano, and Fielder was never even mentioned.

It's sad that Evan Grant is usually more in the know than the "respected" national guys. I'd believe TR Sullivan any day over Sherman, Rosenthal, Morosi, or Heyman.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were right when they said we were going after Upton. We tried multiple times. I think sometimes they're right but it the two sides just never make it happen.

But yeah, 1 in 50 is close. It's still fun to read nonetheless.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might even be giving them too much credit with the 1 in 50 guesstimate. I can't recall them ever getting a Rangers rumor correct. Cliff Lee was a guaranteed Yankee, Yu Darvish was a Blue Jay, we were definitely signing both McCann and Cano, and Fielder was never even mentioned.

It's sad that Evan Grant is usually more in the know than the "respected" national guys. I'd believe TR Sullivan any day over Sherman, Rosenthal, Morosi, or Heyman.

Rosenthal is the best of the bunch IMO.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were right when they said we were going after Upton. We tried multiple times. I think sometimes they're right but it the two sides just never make it happen.

But yeah, 1 in 50 is close. It's still fun to read nonetheless.

Are you sure we really went after Upton multiple times or are you just thinking that based on hearing multiple reports that may have been false?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

T R Sullivan is the only one I would pay attention to either nationally or locally.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of who is reporting it. It would make no sense to me if a team almost desperate for starting pitching would trade their # 2 man for an OF on a one year contract.

But like you said, it's fun to read and speculate anyway.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now if I had to choose between latos or upton I would go latos all day IMO

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster Olney's rankings in MLB:

3. Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers

Evaluators say his exceptional defense of past years has slipped, understandable given the fact that he just finished his 17th season in the big leagues. But Beltre continues to be a beast at the plate, hitting .324 with 53 extra-base hits last season.

It appears he has more than a legit shot at 3,000 hits: Beltre stands at 2,604, along with 395 homers, 528 doubles and 1,256 runs. The Hall of Fame? That’s a done deal.

Honorable mention at SS:

Elvis Andrus, Rangers: We’ve seen what he can be at his best, but he has gone in reverse in terms of production. Andrus’ OPS declined from .727 in 2012 to .647 last year -- when he had just 38 extra-base hits in 685 plate appearance -- and he was thrown out on 15 of his 42 stolen-base attempts. He is 26 years old and should be higher than this. John Fisher notes: He’s fourth among shortstops in OBP (.331) the past three seasons (minimum 1,000 PAs); he’s seventh among shortstops in defensive runs saved (plus-6) the past three seasons (minimum 3,000 innings).

And for whatever it's worth, he had Kinsler as the 4th best 2B.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's this for an "out there" rumor.

The Astros are known to be seeking relief help and they might be aiming high. Houston has reached out to Scott Leventhal, the agent for David Robertson, to express interest in the Yankees closer, an industry source told Ken Davidoff of the New York Post. Still, it’s not known whether the Astros are willing to approach the four-year, ~$52MM deal that Robertson is after.