• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ones you speak of didnt want him in the OF anymore...but they still wanted him to DH... if I remember correctly.

Apparently you're remembering more correctly than I.

So as Tim Blake Nelson said in Oh Brother......."shucks, I'm with you fellas."

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ones you speak of didnt want him in the OF anymore...but they still wanted him to DH... if I remember correctly.

You may be right on that but I still did not mind him as an OF. He was lousy at going back towards the wall but fine side to side at a canon of an arm. I know Terps thought he was the worst RF in baseball which I responded that the RFers we have now are worse.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right on that but I still did not mind him as an OF. He was lousy at going back towards the wall but fine side to side at a canon of an arm. I know Terps thought he was the worst RF in baseball which I responded that the RFers we have now are worse.

THANK YOU.

It's good to know I'm not completely delusional.

And if you read the SI article, he apparently stacks up fair to good with the metrics.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need Terps to pass those exams of his and pipe in with any info his scout friend may have. Sure the young man is studying hard.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to falsely accuse anyone but I swear there were several on here who had nothing good to say about him.

Did you read the Stoops article?

There are some fans who think they can't say anything good about most players who leave. I have never understood that myself. Even when ARod left I was still an ARod fan until all of the steroid stuff came out. Some hated him as soon as he left even though it was Hicks fault that he left. Hicks lied to him about how much he would spend on players going forward.

I think a lot of it stems from some folks not being able to admit when our front office has made a mistake. Some still blame Cruz leaving on Cruz and they will give the flimsy excuse that JD offered him a lot of money when we made the qualifying offer. They refuse to acknowledge that there were two completely separate phases of Cruz negotiations and that folks who thought JD messed up in not going after him thought JD messed up in that second phase. That first offer was no more than a formality to get the draft pick and JD would have been shocked had Cruz accepted it. Then there are those who say Cruz would have never came back here because he wanted to play in the OF everyday even though he played a ton of games at DH in Baltimore.

I wasn't on this board when that went down, but the ones I was on had plenty of folks who didn't like Cruz and who offered up those excuses for why he wasn't here when he performed well this past season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THANK YOU.

It's good to know I'm not completely delusional.

And if you read the SI article, he apparently stacks up fair to good with the metrics.

I don't mind him in RF and love his arm. I just want the manager to replace him late in close big games where we have the lead. He not only had that foul up on Game 6, but if you will recall in the game that we clinched in the regular season in 2010 he messed up a 27th out fly ball as well and extended that game.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some fans who think they can't say anything good about most players who leave. I have never understood that myself. Even when ARod left I was still an ARod fan until all of the steroid stuff came out. Some hated him as soon as he left even though it was Hicks fault that he left. Hicks lied to him about how much he would spend on players going forward.

I think a lot of it stems from some folks not being able to admit when our front office has made a mistake. Some still blame Cruz leaving on Cruz and they will give the flimsy excuse that JD offered him a lot of money when we made the qualifying offer. They refuse to acknowledge that there were two completely separate phases of Cruz negotiations and that folks who thought JD messed up in not going after him thought JD messed up in that second phase. That first offer was no more than a formality to get the draft pick and JD would have been shocked had Cruz accepted it. Then there are those who say Cruz would have never came back here because he wanted to play in the OF everyday even though he played a ton of games at DH in Baltimore.

I wasn't on this board when that went down, but the ones I was on had plenty of folks who didn't like Cruz and who offered up those excuses for why he wasn't here when he performed well this past season.
Correct me if I'm wrong but did Cruz not sign for less than the QO with the understanding he would start RF?

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong but did Cruz not sign for less than the QO with the understanding he would start RF?
He signed for an 8M contract with Baltimore for one year is about all I know, DT. Probably with an assurance to play some outfield.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed for an 8M contract with Baltimore for one year is about all I know, DT. Probably with an assurance to play some outfield.
About the way I recall it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, he signed for a lot less than the QO. The QO was just a formality as everyone thought the market would bring him a multi-year deal. That was a completely different phase and time period than when he actually signed. By the time negotiations got serious the QO was ancient history that was no longer relevant.

It was mentioned by the media that playing in the OF was a big deal to him. Cruz was never quoted as saying it was "THE" deciding factor. He simply expressed a desire to play in the OF. Playing in the OF was a factor, but what was a bigger factor in him not signing here was a lack of an offer from us when the bottom dropped out of his market. Nellie loved it here and I think he would have jumped at the chance to come back here had he been offered from us what Baltimore gave him. JD himself, to his credit, has admitted he messed up by not going after him, but a lot of fans refuse to do the same.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be interested...
That said, a price higher than what they got for Heyward?

Not sure I'll like what it would take...

Doesn't he have just one year left on his contract? I would hate to give up too much for one year.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't he have just one year left on his contract? I would hate to give up too much for one year.

Believe so.. Think he was in the same situation as Heyward. (FA after 2015).
That said, I'd look to extend him and try to offload the Choo contract - if it came to that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly isn't the first time. I think he would be a good addition, and they're crazy if they think they're getting a huge return for 1 year.

It's only crazy if the other party thinks it is......seriously.

Now, if he is willing to sign and extension, life changes for sure.