• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Michael Kirkman made it through another round of cuts. I guess he has been a part of this organization for more consecutive years than anyone else currently on the team. In fact, he probably ranks very high among all time Rangers in that category. 2015 will be his 11th consecutive year in the organization. If he can make it to 2017 he will catch up to Michael Young.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

I'm just not sold at all on MM being the answer in LF. Frankly, even from a platoon standpoint.

But I did indeed "forgot him." Maybe it was on purpose. haha

HA! Easy to forget MM in the OF.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Michael Kirkman made it through another round of cuts. I guess he has been a part of this organization for more consecutive years than anyone else currently on the team. In fact, he probably ranks very high among all time Rangers in that category. 2015 will be his 11th consecutive year in the organization. If he can make it to 2017 he will catch up to Michael Young.

Find that rather humorous. Talk about supply and demand working in your favor.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pudge Rodriguez, Michael Young, Jim Sundberg, and Michael Kirkman. That makes an awesome Mt. Rushmore of Rangers longevity.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love these two tweets that Jamey Newberg mentioned this morning from Ben Badler.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]"If you think the purpose of this morning’s report is solely to share the Kool-Aid, consider these two Thursday tweets from Baseball America’s Ben Badler, who’s far from a Rangers homer:"[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]Keep hearing great things from scouts about Jake Thompson. Stuff is [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]there for a potential frontline starter. Strong trade by the Rangers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]Going over our AL West Top 30s. Significant talent gap between the Astros/Rangers and every other farm system in the division.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland has the same problem that Ogando has. Can't stay healthy.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. If ever there were evidence of a player having blackmail material on the GM, I'd say this would be it.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love these two tweets that Jamey Newberg mentioned this morning from Ben Badler.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]"If you think the purpose of this morning’s report is solely to share the Kool-Aid, consider these two Thursday tweets from Baseball America’s Ben Badler, who’s far from a Rangers homer:"[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]Keep hearing great things from scouts about Jake Thompson. Stuff is [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]there for a potential frontline starter. Strong trade by the Rangers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,sans-serif]Going over our AL West Top 30s. Significant talent gap between the Astros/Rangers and every other farm system in the division.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Frontline starter? Wow, I always figured he'd be a BORP. This is great news and I'm sure JD has to feel pretty good getting JT and Knebel, who had a good season last year too.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I initially read this, I thought it said Matt Moore...

Last edited by a moderator:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I initially read this, I thought it said Matt Moore...

In what alternate universe is Matt Joyce comparable to Jay Bruce? Since when is a part-time platoon/4th OF the same as a young and still improving 30 HR/season guy?

Please tell me Morosi meant something else by that line.

Last edited by a moderator:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't give up on Moreland. I think he has a monster season in him.....somewhere

I don't share your sentiments that he has a monster season in him, but I also don't agree with some on here who want to discard him like trash. He would make a fine bench player on a WS contending team so I hope he is still around when we are ready to go back. I can just imagine a Bill Buckner situation with Prince at 1B in the postseason. It would be good to have Mitch as a late inning defensive replacement and hopefully Banister believes in those much more than his predecessor.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't share your sentiments that he has a monster season in him, but I also don't agree with some on here who want to discard him like trash. He would make a fine bench player on a WS contending team so I hope he is still around when we are ready to go back. I can just imagine a Bill Buckner situation with Prince at 1B in the postseason. It would be good to have Mitch as a late inning defensive replacement and hopefully Banister believes in those much more than his predecessor.

Don't agree he would a waste of a bench spot

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some comments from TR Sullivan and Jon Daniels about us adding a hitter to either play OF or DH.

"Every club in the game could add another bat," Daniels said. "That's something we've talked about. It's a matter of prioritizing our resources. We were not a good offensive team last year. Most of the improvement will have to come from getting guys healthy. But if we can add another bat, we will."
It is not likely to be a major addition unless somebody unexpected becomes available.
"We're not going to outbid people in the free-agent market and throw a lot of money out there," Daniels said. "We're not going to jump out unless the right deal is there. Most likely, we'll play the free-agent market later than sooner. If you take the patient approach, eventually you should get a fair deal later on."
The Rangers' offense could get a huge boost at designated hitter, if Mitch Moreland could stay healthy. Over five years in the Majors, Moreland has hit .252 with 21 home runs, 69 RBIs and a .430 slugging percentage for every 162 games. But he has also been on the disabled list in each of the last three seasons, and played in just 52 games in 2014 before undergoing surgery on his left ankle.
"He's a guy with power who can hit the ball out of the park," Daniels said. "That's big in the game today. I think as a DH, first baseman and part-time outfielder, if you look at the market, he is as good or better than most of the guys out there."
Outfield an area Rangers are looking to upgrade | texasrangers.com

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those left unprotected and left off the 40 man roster were three high draft picks: outfielders Zac Cone and Jake Skole and catcher Kellin Deglan. I am good with that as none of these have excited me too much on what they have done in the minors.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Prince, in his best season defensively was maybe average. And that's his best season.

Buckner was always considered a decent defensive player. OK, it's a given he made one of the biggest defensive blunders in post season history. I get that.

But IMO Fielder is a blunder in waiting with every play.