• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SIDE BOARD: Just getting back on line. PC crashed.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boston Red Sox have offered free-agent third baseman Pablo Sandoval a five-year, $95 million contract, the Boston Globe reported Friday night.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from MLBtraderumors:

There was some thought that the Angels‘ bonus pool-busting signing of Roberto Baldoquin may have been a prelude to a bigger outlay on Yoan Moncada. But there is “not a chance” that the team will pursue high-budget players such as Moncada or Yasmany Tomas, a source tells Dylan Hernandez of MLB.com (Twitter link).

And for you Cruz haters, this:

Cruz spent more time at DH (89 games) than at any other position in 2014, by far the most at that spot of any season in his career. Still, despite the perception that he is a bad defensive player, he was three runs above average in 70 games at the two outfield corners according to Defensive Runs Saved, and just three below in 2013. He's at -9 DRS for his career, with a -13 showing in 2012 sticking out like a sore thumb among otherwise competent performances. Meanwhile, he's 16 runs above average for his career according to Ultimate Zone Rating, but about seven below average for his past three seasons. All of which suggests that we shouldn't project him as a full-time DH in establishing his baseline performance.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from MLBtraderumors:

There was some thought that the Angels‘ bonus pool-busting signing of Roberto Baldoquin may have been a prelude to a bigger outlay on Yoan Moncada. But there is “not a chance” that the team will pursue high-budget players such as Moncada or Yasmany Tomas, a source tells Dylan Hernandez of MLB.com (Twitter link).

And for you Cruz haters, this:

Cruz spent more time at DH (89 games) than at any other position in 2014, by far the most at that spot of any season in his career. Still, despite the perception that he is a bad defensive player, he was three runs above average in 70 games at the two outfield corners according to Defensive Runs Saved, and just three below in 2013. He's at -9 DRS for his career, with a -13 showing in 2012 sticking out like a sore thumb among otherwise competent performances. Meanwhile, he's 16 runs above average for his career according to Ultimate Zone Rating, but about seven below average for his past three seasons. All of which suggests that we shouldn't project him as a full-time DH in establishing his baseline performance.

Who hates Cruz? :noidea:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who hates Cruz? :noidea:

Seemed like there were an awful lot of guys on here who were delighted to see him leave and don't want him back either.

Here's the entire article, if you care to partake.

Also, I just posted a Travis Haney article on the college football thread for ya regarding Stoops and the Gators.

- - SI.com

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seemed like there were an awful lot of guys on here who were delighted to see him leave and don't want him back either.

Here's the entire article, if you care to partake.

Also, I just posted a Travis Haney article on the college football thread for ya regarding Stoops and the Gators.

- - SI.com

I don't recall anyone happy to see him go.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall anyone happy to see him go.

I don't want to falsely accuse anyone but I swear there were several on here who had nothing good to say about him.

Did you read the Stoops article?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to falsely accuse anyone but I swear there were several on here who had nothing good to say about him.

I know I am a big Cruz fan. I wanted him to stay a Ranger.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am a big Cruz fan. I wanted him to stay a Ranger.

I too was a fan. Can't say huge, but I certainly thought what we got from him with his bat and arm way over compensated for his defensive short comings.

Did you read the SI article I attached? According to it, his defense isn't as poor as maybe some thought.

But let me ask you, have I lost what few marbles I had left in thinking there were lots of nah-Sayers here?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember some upset because he did not accept the offer by the Rangers, the infamous WS blunder, the ped crap but not anything more. Maybe something more I don't recall.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not an espn insider, so I couldn't.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The ones you speak of didnt want him in the OF anymore...but they still wanted him to DH... if I remember correctly.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not an espn insider, so I couldn't.

Florida is officially open. Is Bob Stoops legitimately listening?

Even though I wrote last month that there are definitive reasons why the time is right for Stoops to leave Oklahoma, I still doubt that he does. He’s as doggedly stubborn as any coach in America. He’ll want to see the Sooners back to prominence in the league and nationally.

But …

The alternative that makes the most sense for him, Florida, is officially open. If Stoops is ever leaving, this is the time. He has considered it when the position’s been vacant before, but the timing has never been more right.

Stoops is close with Florida AD Jeremy Foley, who, if he hasn’t already, will undoubtedly gauge Stoops’ interest after letting Will Muschamp go earlier this week.

I suspect Stoops will decline, offering a name or two for Foley to consider.

But …

“I think there are days when he is sick of [Oklahoma fans] as much as they are of him,” someone close to the program told me. “I think that’s what happens after 15 years in one place, no matter where it is. Norman, Oklahoma, isn’t any different.”

Stoops and his future have come up often during my recent travels around the South and Texas.

He should go. Oklahoma has slowly trended down the past five or so years, suffering from an air of staleness. Show me why it will again trend upward. If it didn’t happen in 2014, coming off the Alabama bowl win and with the Sooners’ talent level just as high if not higher than the teams competing for the Big 12 title and a playoff spot, when will it happen?

Recruiting is really no better or worse than it has been. Fans are displeased with offensive play calling and have been, really, since Kevin Wilson left for Indiana. The defense has been underwhelming, proving the Sugar Bowl was a fluke. The league is deeper than it’s probably ever been, especially with TCU and West Virginia improving.

How does Oklahoma become what it was? Chasing your own standard is a difficult thing to do without some sort of reinvention, and a change of scenery would accomplish that fully.

Those who know Stoops say that relationships with the OU administration, AD Joe Castiglione and president David Boren in particular, are “the main things, maybe the only things” keeping him where he is.

But given the chance to work with a longtime friend, Foley, this really could be a very good opportunity coming at just the right time. Plus, when Steve Spurrier retires to Crescent Beach, Florida, in the next few years, those friends would be able to spend more time together. Just imagine Spurrier back hanging around the UF practice fields, suggesting a play to his buddy “Bobby” every now and again.

I still do not expect Stoops to leave, but I’ve heard enough from those who know him not to rule it out, either.

EXTRA POINTS

• Colorado State’s Jim McElwain is already a hot name for opening jobs, including the one at Florida. The Rams are 9-1, have beaten two Power 5 programs (Colorado, Boston College) and they’re still in the running for a New Year’s bowl. However, there is one glaring hang-up in schools’ pursuit of him: a $7.5 million buyout that came as part of an August extension. Industry sources have told me, however, that there could potentially be some wiggle room with that figure.

“The school or president can waive the entire buyout or part of it, so I guess that’s sort of wiggle room,” one source familiar with the contract said this week. “Would they do that? I don’t know. It’s something where you’d definitely want to know going in what that number was.”

Maybe it was something informally agreed upon at the time of the extension: If a big school (like Florida) pursued McElwain, Colorado State would acquiesce. But, really, what would Colorado State’s incentive be to waive that buyout or even part of it? It would give up a sizable chunk of money, yeah, but it would also be forced to find a replacement for someone who has been as successful as McElwain in turning around the program. That’s a lose-lose.

• Keep an eye on Iowa State in its final three games, beginning this weekend against Texas Tech. The Cyclones have yet to win a conference game this season, and that includes losing by 20 at Kansas two weeks ago. The Red Raiders are 3-7 overall, with one conference win. The game being in Ames, Iowa, this is one ISU could use. Since going to consecutive bowl games in 2011 and 2012, Iowa State is 5-16 under Paul Rhoads. In talking with Big 12 reporter Jake Trotter, we both feel Rhoads is currently safe for 2015. You might recall how strongly AD Jamie Pollard backed him earlier in the season after adverse officiating calls against Oklahoma State. But that could change if the Clones dip to 2-10 and fail to win a Big 12 game. They close with Texas Tech and West Virginia at home before a trip to TCU. It could also change if an appealing replacement expressed interest. Ohio State OC Tom Herman was Rhoads’ first OC at Iowa State, from 2009 to '11. So that would be one such connection to an intriguing successor.

• I’ve talked to a number of coaches this week about Texas Tech's claims that former defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt shared signals with opponents after he was fired in September. Those close to the program told me about it last week, saying they learned from other teams that there was a breach of the calls; Tech then changed the signals. Mike Smith, who was promoted when Wallerstedt was let go, then chided Wallerstedt on Monday for the whole thing. That’s where coaches think Smith and Texas Tech went too far. “This kind of stuff happens,” one coach told me. “We’ve had it happen. Everyone has it happen. Hell, sometimes there’s people out there sharing video [of your schemes and plays]. You just deal with it and move on.

“Sometimes you just have to let stuff go. I mean, they’d already fired the guy.”

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ones you speak of didnt want him in the OF anymore...but they still wanted him to DH... if I remember correctly.

Sorry romeo.....And thank you Xx for posting the read.

I'll keep this in mind when posting in the future.