• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when he hit .300 for about two months and it appeared he figured it out...

Gonna need it for longer than 2 months. Good start though.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder 2-3 today.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 MLB team preview: Texas Rangers

After four consecutive seasons of 90-plus wins, the Texas Rangers fell apart in 2014. With a rash of injuries -- the likes of which we rarely see, if ever, plague one team -- they ended up 67-95, good for last place and the worst record in the AL. They have a new manager, Jeff Banister, and at least a little bit more health heading into the 2015 season.

More: Likes, dislikes | Over/unders | All team previews | Spring training

Probable lineup

1. Shin-Soo Choo, RF
2. Elvis Andrus, SS
3. Prince Fielder, 1B
4. Adrian Beltre, 3B
5. Mitch Moreland, DH
6. Jake Smolinski, LF
7. Leonys Martin, CF
8. Rougned Odor, 2B
9. Robinson Chirinos, C

Bench: C Carlos Corporan, IF Adam Rosales, IF/OF Ryan Rua, OF Nate Schierholtz

There's also a chance to see Kyle Blanks, Ryan Ludwick, Michael Choice and others. And, of course, big-time power prospect Joey Gallo.

Probable rotation

1. LHP Derek Holland
2. RHP Yovani Gallardo
3. RHP Colby Lewis
4. LHP Ross Detwiler
5. RHP Nick Tepesch

There is, of course, Yu Darvish hanging around, but it looks like the Rangers may lose him. Matt Harrison and Martin Perez are recovering from injury and could rejoin the rotation at some point, too.

Probable bullpen

Closer: RHP Neftali Feliz
Setup men: RHP Tanner Scheppers, RHP Kyuji Fujikawa
Middle men: LHP Joe Beimel, RHP Shawn Tolleson, RHP Spencer Patton
Long man: RHP Ross Ohlendorf

Roman Mendez, Jamey Wright, Juan Carlos Oviedo, Michael Kirkman and a host of others are also in the mix. It'll be sorted out during spring training.

Under-the-radar offseason transaction

Picked up just last week in a cheap deal, reliever Joe Beimel might be the only lefty the Rangers have in the bullpen and last season showed he still has the ability to get lefties out with the best. Opposing left-handers hit .188/.217/.288 against him last season.

Fantasy bounce-back candidate: Prince Fielder

From Scott White's full Rangers fantasy preview:

Fielder didn't have any strength in his left shoulder at the start of 2014, and it showed. The perennial 30-homer man hit just three long balls over his first 150 at-bats in what should have been an ideal hitting environment. The problem was linked to a herniated disk in his neck, and the solution was unprecedented in the baseball world: spinal fusion surgery. Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning had something similar a few years ago and recovered fine, but for the beating NFL players take, they don't twist their bodies with the force MLB hitters do. To me, this goes one of two ways: The procedure works, or it doesn't. Fielder gets back to being the perennial first-rounder he was with the Brewers and Tigers or has a regression as swift as his father's was and is out of baseball a couple years from now. He's the ultimate boom-or-bust pick. In standard mixed leagues, the possibility of first-round production becomes too compelling by about Round 9.

Biggest strength

I like the top of the order. With full health and bounce-back seasons, Choo, Andrus and Fielder could be one of the better top threes in baseball while Beltre is still rather studly. Obviously Andrus' value lies mostly with the glove, but he can get on base at a reasonable clip while stealing lots of bases. The other three have star power in the batter's box.

adrian-beltre-3915.jpg

There's a lot to like about Adrian Beltre. (USATSI)

Biggest weakness

Without Darvish, Harrison and Perez, I hate the rotation. Holland is fine, but he's no ace. Gallardo's strikeout rate has diminished greatly in the past two seasons while he has posted a 100 ERA+ in the NL. He also had half his games in a neutral ballpark. He's now shifting to the AL West and a hitter-friendly park. It's not extreme anymore, but Globe Life Park was still seventh in runs last season. Lewis and Dewiler would be fine in a five spot, but instead they look like the 3-4 guys.

There's a possibility that come next season the Texas rotation is strong, but for now it looks like a big-time Achilles heel.

Outlook

Trying to judge what the Rangers would have looked like last season without such devastating injury woes is a fool's errand. We just simply have no idea. Without that, this is one of the more unpredictable teams in the majors. If not for the Darvish injury, I think a case could be made that the Rangers could very well contend. Instead, I think the rotation is just too banged up while the lower half of the lineup is too big a question mark until we know what a lot of the younger guys -- including Gallo down the road -- can provide.

With what looks like a very good AL West, the Rangers may be ticketed for last place again. At the very least, they probably don't have enough to touch the top two in Seattle and LA.

Have to question how much work these guys put into these things. If you're going to write about a team, do some research.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy knows so much about the Rangers he still had Choo as lead off hitter and Smolinski as probable starting LF with Rua on the bench. :L

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy knows so much about the Rangers he still had Choo as lead off hitter and Smolinski as probable starting LF with Rua on the bench. :L

Joe Beimel is now the only lefty that will be in the pen? Doubt that, someone like Claudio or Kirkman wouldn't at least get a shot by default

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like to see Rua in LF with Smolinski and Hoying/Peguero rotating COF/DH/PH. Usually i want a vet as backup but because those coming off the bench in this case are not thought of as players we are grooming for future stardom then put that youth out on the field.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like to see Rua in LF with Smolinski and Hoying/Peguero rotating COF/DH/PH. Usually i want a vet as backup but because those coming off the bench in this case are not thought of as players we are grooming for future stardom then put that youth out on the field.

Seems like way too much jumbling around to me.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like his bread came out of the oven to soon.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers pitcher Alex Gonzalez battles through first spring start

Rangers pitcher Alex Gonzalez may be getting the chance to join the starting rotation with the pending news of Yu Darvish, reports the Dallas Morning News.

Gonzalez made his first start of spring training Monday and battled through three innings with 58 pitches. Manager Jeff Bannister liked how Gonzalez battled through his three scoreless innings.

"He showed poise and presence on the mound," Banister said. "I'd heard about that and that's what I saw. That third inning, it started out as a little bit of a challenge, but, all in all, it turned out to be a good day."

Gonzalez had a 50-pitch limit, but was trying to get through the start in 30.

"Coming out of the bullpen, I told [catcher Chris] Gimenez, 'Let's get this day done in 30 pitches'," Gonzalez said. "I jinxed myself. I wish I wouldn’t have thrown so many pitches early on, but I’m happy they gave me those extra six pitches to get out of my own inning."

He recorded three strikeouts and three walks, allowing two hits on the day.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzlez said he had a runner on second in every inning. Let's pump the brakes a bit on this cat, guys.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, one of Fielder's hits was a nice line drive going the other way.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzlez said he had a runner on second in every inning. Let's pump the brakes a bit on this cat, guys.

Gonna have to tell the media they may have Chi Chi as the #3 starter. Clowns