• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It had some Detwiler info. It also reminded me why I don't think Tepesch is cut out to start.

Yes, somehow I missed that part. I almost wonder if they edited it because I looked three times for a reference to him. Maybe I am losing it.

The reason I disagree about Tepesch is in this quote.

"Tepesch finished the season strong, going 2-4 with a 3.81 ERA in his last 10 starts." The kid put some things together and finished strong. If he is like the average young pitcher he will continue to improve as well.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It had some Detwiler info. It also reminded me why I don't think Tepesch is cut out to start.

the 22 starts with only 8 being what are called quality starts and a 5 - 11 record told me that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 22 starts with only 8 being what are called quality starts and a 5 - 11 record told me that.

The record is not significant at all given the offense they were throwing out last year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does Corporan get here? Maybe 35 starts before Alfaro gets called up in September?

So many of ya seem to be counting Alfaro as a done deal at catcher, and sooner than later.

According to the article I posted just a couple of days ago, his catching abilities seem to have a long way to go. And as the article said, "his value right now is due to his bat, but his bat is measured from him being a catcher; not playing another position, where his numbers become somewhat pedestrian."

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, somehow I missed that part. I almost wonder if they edited it because I looked three times for a reference to him. Maybe I am losing it.

The reason I disagree about Tepesch is in this quote.

"Tepesch finished the season strong, going 2-4 with a 3.81 ERA in his last 10 starts." The kid put some things together and finished strong. If he is like the average young pitcher he will continue to improve as well.

Tep should continue to improve, and I think he will eventually slot in as a good 4-5 for the Rangers but as the article states I think it wouldn't hurt for him to start in RR and continue to work on his command and change up.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The record is not significant at all given the offense they were throwing out last year.

"Over the past two seasons, there have been 60 pitchers who have started at least 25 games and pitched at least 200 innings in the American League. From that group, Tepesch's 5.42 strikeouts per nine innings are the fourth lowest and his 12.86 baserunners were the 12th highest."

Nothing against Nick T, I just don't feel SP is where he belongs.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QS don't always paint a complete picture, and W's are not a great stat to use to try and evaluate starting pitching.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You should know better than to bring up pitching records when discussing pitching quality.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many of ya seem to be counting Alfaro as a done deal at catcher, and sooner than later.

According to the article I posted just a couple of days ago, his catching abilities seem to have a long way to go. And as the article said, "his value right now is due to his bat, but his bat is measured from him being a catcher; not playing another position, where his numbers become somewhat pedestrian."

Was that the Evan Grant article?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the well wishes Wastin, Bennie, and Scottie. Cant get multi quote to work

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Over the past two seasons, there have been 60 pitchers who have started at least 25 games and pitched at least 200 innings in the American League. From that group, Tepesch's 5.42 strikeouts per nine innings are the fourth lowest and his 12.86 baserunners were the 12th highest."

Nothing against Nick T, I just don't feel SP is where he belongs.

It would be very unwise to expect a pitcher's third season to be anywhere close to what his very first one was.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that the Evan Grant article?

Yeah....it was the ranking of the top 15 prospects where he had Alfaro 2nd.

Although many of ya find him full of malarkey, it's a point-to-ponder. There have been very few catchers at the ML level who got by on their bat alone. We were blessed to have had two - Sunburg/Pudge - who could do both. But generally speaking, if you can't catch/throw/call a decent game, it's hard to justify a bat only from the position.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies if my posts make less sense today than normal or if my grammar could be worse. Im a little loopy from the drugs from this morning. Had another back procedure today for my torn disc. Currently laid up trying to get my senses back, what little I got left. Wont keep me from rambling and spewing nonsense about baseball however. Bear with me gents, thanks.
Sorry Murph. I also have severe back pain with no hope of getting help. Get better quick. Best wishes.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Although many of ya find him full of malarkey, it's a point-to-ponder. There have been very few catchers at the ML level who got by on their bat alone. We were blessed to have had two - Sunburg/Pudge - who could do both. But generally speaking, if you can't catch/throw/call a decent game, it's hard to justify a bat only from the position.
Absolutely agree.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If others were agreeing with him I would tend to believe him, but Evan is very suspect in guessing when prospects will arrive. I believe I have recently shared my story of asking him about Moreland and how wrong he was about that. I have read a lot more reports like the following one.

Rangers' Alfaro is an elite catching prospect | MLB.com

Alfaro's bat speed and quick hands translate well to a swing that has a slight uppercut. He gets good loft on the ball, and he profiles as a legitimate power threat who can become a middle-of-order game-changer.

Alfaro is still a bit raw and, at times, his youth shows. There are pitches he should drive that he misses and times he swings at offerings way out of the strike zone. But that's more rare than common.

In addition to his offensive skills, he has an absolute cannon for an arm. His throws have carry with accuracy. I timed Alfaro at 1.83 seconds from the time the ball hit his glove to the time the ball hit the glove of the second baseman. That should nail plenty of runners, provided his pitcher gives him a chance. Usually, anything less than 1.5 seconds from the pitcher on the mound to the catcher should be sufficient -- especially with a pop time like Alfaro has displayed. ...

Alfaro's combination of agility and cat-like quickness behind the plate allows him to easily block balls in the dirt. I didn't see him stab at balls -- a trait often prominent in younger catchers.

Alfaro's pitchers will also appreciate his abilities.

A take-charge type, Alfaro showed good leadership qualities while shepherding his pitchers through games. He showed an ability to frame pitches, moving his glove slightly and deftly to the strike zone to assist the umpire in ringing up strikes.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good thing I don't then.

Good, then you know to ignore his two year record which includes that first year and gives little indication about what to expect from him in the future.