• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. Don't be absurd.

You just seem to be so down-in-the-mouth with most moves here and the glass is half empty. You say you "disagree with the point" of him giving us depth and allowing our youngsters to learn and compete in the minors. Thus my comment.

Notice you didn't answer the question which was asked either. Why's that?

I wanted to establish what you meant by saying I am Chicken Little. I was wondering why all of a sudden you proclaimed me as that when I have been saying basically the same things all off season. I was taking one thing at a time. Why did you decide yesterday to say that I was Chicken Little after I have been consistent all offseason?

I didn't say he didn't give us depth and allowed our youngsters to compete in the minors. I don't agree that they need to compete in the minors. There is no reason why Tepesch couldn't have been our 5th starter behind Yu, Derek, Colby and Detwiler.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't remember who wrote it. they said that JD said Profar would definitely start the season in AAA and would spend a majority of the time working at 3rd and would also get some time in the OF.

I think you are getting everything scrambled together. JD has never said Profar would spend time at 3B or the OF. Fans and maybe a couple of writers may have said they should do that, but JD never did. I think Profar sees most of his time in the minors at either 2B or SS.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think you are getting everything scrambled together. JD has never said Profar would spend time at 3B or the OF. Fans and maybe a couple of writers may have said they should do that, but JD never did. I think Profar sees most of his time in the minors at either 2B or SS.

Agree. His mission in 2015 is getting back on track ... mentally and physically. Reset him by putting him in his most comfortable spot where he has spent his entire baseball life until Wash used him all over the place like a UIF/OF when management forced his elevation from AAA and forced Wash to play him.

Would not be surprised if that 100% of Profar's time is at SS. No 2b. No DH. No 3b.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to establish what you meant by saying I am Chicken Little. I was wondering why all of a sudden you proclaimed me as that when I have been saying basically the same things all off season. I was taking one thing at a time. Why did you decide yesterday to say that I was Chicken Little after I have been consistent all offseason?

I didn't say he didn't give us depth and allowed our youngsters to compete in the minors. I don't agree that they need to compete in the minors. There is no reason why Tepesch couldn't have been our 5th starter behind Yu, Derek, Colby and Detwiler.

First, I think I misunderstood your meaning of the .500 season quote. So for this I apologize, if I did indeed misquote/misunderstand what you meant.

Actually, I don't necessarily disagree with you on Tepesch being # 5. Although, to quote the great winding, "we're gonna need about 10 starters when it's all said and done for each season" (semi-quote anyway) so the more starters we can have which are MLB ready the better. And Gallardo is certainly an innings eating, competitor for 2015.

But Tep isn't the only "youngster" we have to be concerned with either.

Why are you comfortable with us acquiring Detwiller, while you seem to feel we gave up valuable "future trade pieces" in getting Gallardo?

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. His mission in 2015 is getting back on track ... mentally and physically. Reset him by putting him in his most comfortable spot where he has spent his entire baseball life until Wash used him all over the place like a UIF/OF when management forced his elevation from AAA and forced Wash to play him.

Would not be surprised if that 100% of Profar's time is at SS. No 2b. No DH. No 3b.

I think there are several variables at work here concerning Profar.

First, his health is first and foremost. Regardless of position, he's got to be able to participate, full speed, no holds barred.

Second, if his health is 100%, then he'll probably get time at SS. But this may be contingent on how Odor does too. And I never rule out him getting solid time at 3rd either, again dependent on how AB holds up physically.

I do agree with ya 100% he'll probably be placed at a position, at least initially, to let him settle in and hopefully get back to being the best prospect in the game.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are several variables at work here concerning Profar.

First, his health is first and foremost. Regardless of position, he's got to be able to participate, full speed, no holds barred.

Second, if his health is 100%, then he'll probably get time at SS. But this may be contingent on how Odor does too. And I never rule out him getting solid time at 3rd either, again dependent on how AB holds up physically.

I do agree with ya 100% he'll probably be placed at a position, at least initially, to let him settle in and hopefully get back to being the best prospect in the game.

Physical health and mental health first and foremost, I think he'll be a quality defender no matter where he ends up, but his bat is the key

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
X factors: The Rangers trade for Yovani Gallardo. | Texas Rangers Blog | The Newberg Report

A typically thorough Jamie Newberg long point by point analysis of the Gallardo acquisition. Read or probably skim when you have the time.

I think Jamie used up all the electrons on the Internet with his post. I think posters here covered most of his points but he had some new ones I hadn't thought about and incorporates a Hamels versus Gallardo in his piece.

Just make sure you don't have to be someplace important.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And both of you are probably right as I said it was something I read

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have always thought NT could probably do fine this year as our #5 guy in they rotation. That's not really the issue I had with the rotation. While you don't believe we will compete this season, most Rangers fans expect the FO to at least attempt to. While there is no guarantee with Gallardo that happens, and as you say this team could finish closer to .500. The issue with Tep slotted in at #5 is that likely gives you Detwiler slotted at #4 and Colby as your #3, the way you have them listed here. While I love Colby and what he's done as a Ranger, having him slotted as your #3 basically says we won't compete this year and are looking ahead to another year. That and Detwiler is a wild card and we really aren't sure what he will end up being and if he even makes the rotation as a starter. The everyone is hoping that happens, it's by far a lock. Anyway it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought NT could probably do fine this year as our #5 guy in they rotation. That's not really the issue I had with the rotation. While you don't believe we will compete this season, most Rangers fans expect the FO to at least attempt to. While there is no guarantee with Gallardo that happens, and as you say this team could finish closer to .500. The issue with Tep slotted in at #5 is that likely gives you Detwiler slotted at #4 and Colby as your #3, the way you have them listed here. While I love Colby and what he's done as a Ranger, having him slotted as your #3 basically says we won't compete this year and are looking ahead to another year. That and Detwiler is a wild card and we really aren't sure what he will end up being and if he even makes the rotation as a starter. The everyone is hoping that happens, it's by far a lock. Anyway it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I agree with your overall take here. And I think you and I are pretty much on the same page.

Tep may indeed be fine as the # 5 starter. But depth is the problem, if we don't have both Detwiler/Gallardo. If we only have Det, and have Tepesch at # 5, then with any injury/arm fatigue, etc. we're back to having to reach into the farm system and pull someone up who'd be better served getting their innings at a lower level. Plus, without having a solid, dependable # 3, everyone else has to move up, and with Colby Lewis penciled in at # 3 its a pretty scary proposition IMO.

As far as competing for a playoff position for next season, I place this as "an outside possibility" but not an impossible one. But to me the moves we've made/are making is much more of a long term view than a 2015 view.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyway it (rotation) will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Absolutely right Murph. It takes a minimum of 10 ML or ML-ready SPs in hand when you break camp.

On most rosters the difference between #4 and #5 is just which day of the week you are pitching ... and #6 is routinely spot started when needed anywhere between #1 and #5.

From opening day onward I believe a FO devotes time every day to improving where they are at #5, #6 and #10.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I think I misunderstood your meaning of the .500 season quote. So for this I apologize, if I did indeed misquote/misunderstand what you meant.

Actually, I don't necessarily disagree with you on Tepesch being # 5. Although, to quote the great winding, "we're gonna need about 10 starters when it's all said and done for each season" (semi-quote anyway) so the more starters we can have which are MLB ready the better. And Gallardo is certainly an innings eating, competitor for 2015.

But Tep isn't the only "youngster" we have to be concerned with either.

Why are you comfortable with us acquiring Detwiller, while you seem to feel we gave up valuable "future trade pieces" in getting Gallardo?

What I said about the prospects we gave up was just to remind folks that it isn't like we gave up useless players. Those guys had value as trade chips. That being said, we did not overpay for Gallardo. However, those particular trade chips will not be available to use to get someone a little further down the line who can help us in our contending years.

My take on the trade is heavily influenced by how I expect the team to do in 2015. I do see this as a .500 team unless a lot of things fall into place or a lot of things go wrong. With that background the trade does nothing to excite me. Like I have said before though, what we can get for Gallardo at the deadline is the second piece of this puzzle to me. We see how desperate Detroit was for a reliever last July. If we can find a team that desperate for Gallardo in a few months then that will be great. That would allow us to restock our trade chips or acquire a youngster to help us in a year or two. That is why I said to begin with that I would not judge the trade until I see what happens at trade deadline time in a few months.

I am all for depth, but going into the season with Martinez, Bonilla, Jackson, Chi Chi, Thompson, and Asher as minor league depth would have been fine with me.

As far as me thinking the sky is falling I think that is far from the truth. You would be hard pressed to find someone who is more bullish on our future due to our great prospects than I am. Just because I don't think we will contend in 2015 doesn't mean I think all hope is lost forever. There are even things about this year that I am very happy about. I love that Chirinos and Rua will get a chance based on what JD has said. I am also excited to see how Elvis rebounds and how Profar will perform when he is healthy. I am a lot more optimistic about those two than a lot of folks. I am a lot more optimistic about our young pitchers than a lot of folks seem to be.

As far as Detwiler vs. Gallardo I would have had no problem with one more starter. I just didn't think we needed two more, but I am fine with it if Gallardo is traded mid-season. They could even trade Detwiler I guess.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty interesting article here on the pitfalls of spending money like there's no tomorrow.

Detroit Tigers are in a payroll hell they can't escape

Great post/link. One of the most heart stopping thoughts for Dombrowski has to be ...

"In 2016 ... [T]he Tigers have just five players signed to guaranteed contracts, and those players will be making a total of $104.8 million. Detroit also begins their $6 million yearly payments to the Rangers for Prince Fielder in 2016, and owns a $10 million club option with a $1 million buyout on Joe Nathan, meaning they’ll be on the hook for at least $111.8 million…with just five players signed."

Scotty -- not to pile on but if price is the last thing an FO considers when in the market for a top SP ... note the reason they couldn't resign Scherzer was just about the money by a team who clearly commits to spending money.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"and as you say this team could finish closer to .500."

I for one expect better than that or I will not be a happy camper. If we thought the team we put together last year was going to compete for the top spot until injuries derailed it then this same team minus Martin Perez had better be competitve barring the ridiculous turn of events of last season. I do not want to see the garbage we had to watch here for so many years start rearing its ugly head again.