• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have any of you ever been to the Awards Dinner the Rangers are having this Friday? My buddy got us tickets so I was curious.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That light just might be a freight train labeled .500 Season. lol

Bennie you need to change your handle to "Mr Chicken Little."

If I'm reading you correctly, you would have been fine with going into the season with a starting staff of: Darvish, Holland, Lewis, Martinez and Tepesch. Is this correct?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that was Holland's last full season in 2013 and the same year Hamel's ERA was worse at 3.60. What little Derek pitched in 2014 he once again had a better ERA than Hamels. I think your opinion of Derek is skewed by his early years. He has grown into a better and more mature pitcher since then.

You're using one pitcher's best season compared to one pitcher's worst season since 2009 as your basis for who you'd rather have?

Let's not ignore the fact that Hamels' ERA in 3 of the past 4 seasons has been much better than anything Holland's ever done in anything resembling a full season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these are the available catchers:

John Baker (34)
John Buck (34)
Ryan Doumit (34)
Gerald Laird (35)
Wil Nieves (36)
Geovany Soto (32)
Would like Soto back

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have any of you ever been to the Awards Dinner the Rangers are having this Friday? My buddy got us tickets so I was curious.

Have thought about going a couple times but I haven't been yet. Let me know how it is and maybe I will follow through next year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're using one pitcher's best season compared to one pitcher's worst season since 2009 as your basis for who you'd rather have?

Let's not ignore the fact that Hamels' ERA in 3 of the past 4 seasons has been much better than anything Holland's ever done in anything resembling a full season.

Stats aren't the only thing we're considering. We're also considering cost and years under contract, along with age. Not to mention the prospects it would take to get Hamels.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably the best of them

He'd be my pick as well.

But I'm interested to see what they have in mind for Gimenez. Is he our 3rd string option if we sign another cather like Soto? If so, does this say anything about how the organization views Tellis?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be my pick as well.

But I'm interested to see what they have in mind for Gimenez. Is he our 3rd string option if we sign another cather like Soto? If so, does this say anything about how the organization views Tellis?

i think they realize that Telis is at least a couple of years away from being ready

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

John Baker (34)
John Buck (34)
Ryan Doumit (34)
Gerald Laird (35)
Wil Nieves (36)
Geovany Soto (32)

Not surprised to see Laird on this list. The guy has never been much of a hitter. Good defense tho. We need offense. I'd lean towards signing nobody from that list and give chirinos/ Jimenez a shot.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised to see Laird on this list. The guy has never been much of a hitter. Good defense tho. We need offense. I'd lean towards signing nobody from that list and give chirinos/ Jimenez a shot.
Cheerios is the catcher and I hope Soto will be the back up. Not sure what they see in Jimenez at this point.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

John Baker (34)
John Buck (34)
Ryan Doumit (34)
Gerald Laird (35)
Wil Nieves (36)
Geovany Soto (32)

Would rather see if Wellington Castillo is available via trade, shouldn't cost much and has been surrplanted by Montero and they have Ross to backup

Good defender & solid bat for a catcher

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be my pick as well.

Telis needs time at AAA, butI'd still rather have him as a backup than anyone on that FA list

Being that its the catcher spot, he'd get a good amount of playing time

But Wellington Castillo is still #1 on my list

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats aren't the only thing we're considering. We're also considering cost and years under contract, along with age. Not to mention the prospects it would take to get Hamels.

No, those are the things you're considering, and I happen to agree with you 100%. For the money and prospects it would take to land Hamels, I'd rather have Holland any day of the week.

But if you read Bennie's post, he clearly says just based on the numbers alone he would take Holland over Hamels due to AL vs. NL. And I'm sorry, but there's not a GM alive who would take Holland over Hamels provided that cost were equal. As both Rev and Stan pointed out, Hamels is a legit ace. Holland is a pretty clear-cut #2. Hamels has done it better and longer and he's still relatively young.

The other thing to consider is that Hamels wouldn't be replacing Holland in this hypothetical scenario. He'd be replacing Colby or Detwiler. You have to ask yourself if the cost of getting Hamels outweighs the production one of those other guys gets you for a fraction of the $$ and 0 prospects lost. Even then, I'm still with you Romeo- not worth it.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros Designate Carlos Corporan For Assignment

The Astros announced that they’ve designated catcher Carlos Corporan for assignment in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for Colby Rasmus.

The 31-year-old Corporan hit .235/.302/.376 with six homers in 190 plate appearances for Houston last year. Over the past three seasons, he’s proven himself to be a competent defender (in terms of pitch-framing and throwing out base stealers) while exhibiting low batting average and OBP marks with respectable pop for a catcher.

Of late, Corporan has drawn trade interest from the Rangers, so it certainly seems possible that Houston will be able to move him before he must be exposed to outright waivers. Given Texas’ interest, I’d imagine that, at the very least, a deal for cash considerations could be reached, if not a trade to send a minor leaguer to Houston in exchange for Corporan’s services (be it from the Rangers or another club).

Corporan was arbitration-eligible for the first time this offseason and agreed to a one-year, $975K deal with Houston just last Thursday. That might take away a bit of his trade value, although that sum is largely negligible for a big league club that would have interest in trading for him.

Looks like Corporan will be the Rangers backup to Cheerio

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros Designate Carlos Corporan For Assignment

The Astros announced that they’ve designated catcher Carlos Corporan for assignment in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for Colby Rasmus.

The 31-year-old Corporan hit .235/.302/.376 with six homers in 190 plate appearances for Houston last year. Over the past three seasons, he’s proven himself to be a competent defender (in terms of pitch-framing and throwing out base stealers) while exhibiting low batting average and OBP marks with respectable pop for a catcher.

Of late, Corporan has drawn trade interest from the Rangers, so it certainly seems possible that Houston will be able to move him before he must be exposed to outright waivers. Given Texas’ interest, I’d imagine that, at the very least, a deal for cash considerations could be reached, if not a trade to send a minor leaguer to Houston in exchange for Corporan’s services (be it from the Rangers or another club).

Corporan was arbitration-eligible for the first time this offseason and agreed to a one-year, $975K deal with Houston just last Thursday. That might take away a bit of his trade value, although that sum is largely negligible for a big league club that would have interest in trading for him.

Looks like Corporan will be the Rangers backup to Cheerio

I am okay with that since he is good on the defensive end which after having a catcher like AJ who could hit but man was he a headache to watch defensively we all can appreciate.