• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not compare what Holland is right now to Hamels right now to be fair? Why use Holand's career average numbers against Hamels right now? Holland is coming off an ERA of 3.13 over the past 2 seasons. Hamels has an ERA of 3.05 over the past 2 seasons. I didn't use just this past season because Derek had so few starts that his much better numbers than Hamels in 2014 by itself doesn't tell us enough. After taking into account the difference between the NL and the AL I would choose Holland based on the numbers. When you throw in the difference in their ages and the difference in what they are making it isn't any question to me.

Hollands best year was when he had 3.42 ERA. Also both play in a hitters park too. I like holland. But hamels is just better, even now

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hollands best year was when he had 3.42 ERA. Also both play in a hitters park too. I like holland. But hamels is just better, even now

Yes, that was Holland's last full season in 2013 and the same year Hamel's ERA was worse at 3.60. What little Derek pitched in 2014 he once again had a better ERA than Hamels. I think your opinion of Derek is skewed by his early years. He has grown into a better and more mature pitcher since then.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that was Holland's last full season in 2013 and the same year Hamel's ERA was worse at 3.60. What little Derek pitched in 2014 he once again had a better ERA than Hamels. I think your opinion of Derek is skewed by his early years. He has grown into a better and more mature pitcher since then.

He defiantly has gotten much better but I'm not going to say he's just as good as hamels just cause I'm a rangers fan lol

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ JTA -

MLBTRADERUMORS: Meanwhile, the Rangers added Gallardo with hopes that he will throw well enough to warrant a longer-term relationship or, at least, a qualifying offer, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweets. It remains to be seen whether Gallardo will warrant a qualifying offer after the season, but he seems reasonably likely to receive and reject one. After all, the Brewers picked up his option this year at close to the QO rate and he will surely be looking for a long-term deal entering his age-30 season.

Looks like my statement wasn't off base like you made it seem when you said the Rangers won't offer a QO because he's not worth the 13 he's getting this year. I told you he'd be looking for a long term deal and if we don't give it to him that we would give him a QO.

That proves my point as much as it does yours, I'm aware of the possibility of the qo being offered, but I seriously doubt, in fact I still say no way they offer it to him, bc no one is going to top that offer and pay compensation,

The only way he's back here next year is to resign, no QO, and all of this is my adamant opinion as it always was, and I think your opinion is still not going to be the way it shakes down

Of course maybe gallardo pitches lights out this year, but I doubt it, I think he'll be his usual reliable self, but that's not as 14.5 million dollar pitcher

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it was a trade that makes a lot of the fan base happy. If that was the goal and it very well might have been then it succeeded in doing that. That as a goal can be a very slippery slope though. There are times when a GM has to do the very unpopular thing for the betterment of the team. If we are not in contention and someone really wants Beltre very badly in 6 months then JD would need to do the very unpopular thing. It was once the unpopular thing to trade Teixeira. It was once unpopular to trade MY.

I know it has been stated over and over again that we didn't give up that much and we didn't. There are however, three less trade pieces should a trade come along at a more important time. Since I don't see us being in contention this season this trade does nothing to excite me. What can make it a wash to me is if we get a decent return for Gallardo in July. If JD does as good of a job trading Gallardo as he did with Soria it could become a plus to me. I am not trying to wait for hindsight; I am just waiting for the other shoe to fall.

What excites most of us is the fact it allows the youngsters time in the minors to refine their games. This point seems to evade you.

It was a shame to watch Martinez be so overexposed last season. However, this may pay dividends down the road b/c he sure didn't seem to let the mental aspect get the better of him. But he'd been a lot better served throwing to AA/AAA hitters than getting pounded around in Arlington last season IMO.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is though that Rosenthal has been wrong about the Rangers on way too many occasions for me to take what he says about them seriously.

He's not the only one that has said it. I posted one yesterday from a Rangers beat writer.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That proves my point as much as it does yours, I'm aware of the possibility of the qo being offered, but I seriously doubt, in fact I still say no way they offer it to him, bc no one is going to top that offer and pay compensation,

The only way he's back here next year is to resign, no QO, and all of this is my adamant opinion as it always was, and I think your opinion is still not going to be the way it shakes down

Of course maybe gallardo pitches lights out this year, but I doubt it, I think he'll be his usual reliable self, but that's not as 14.5 million dollar pitcher

He doesn't haven't to be. Someone else could offer him 4/44 and he'll take it. Pitchers that won't cost a ton are highly sought after. Santana & McCarthy for example.

For the record I never said he would be back here because of the QO. I said if he pitches well we will offer him a QO in order to get compensation. Lots of ways for it to shake out but if he's still a Ranger without a long term deal with us, I believe we will offer him a QO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What excites most of us is the fact it allows the youngsters time in the minors to refine their games. This point seems to evade you.

It was a shame to watch Martinez be so overexposed last season. However, this may pay dividends down the road b/c he sure didn't seem to let the mental aspect get the better of him. But he'd been a lot better served throwing to AA/AAA hitters than getting pounded around in Arlington last season IMO.

Cant see the light for all the doom and gloom of not contending this year, maybe not until 2016-17. Gallardo is probably a 10 million dollar rental but the move makes sense for the numerous reasons I and many have stated here before.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't haven't to be. Someone else could offer him 4/44 and he'll take it. Pitchers that won't cost a ton are highly sought after. Santana & McCarthy for example.

For the record I never said he would be back here because of the QO. I said if he pitches well we will offer him a QO in order to get compensation. Lots of ways for it to shake out but if he's still a Ranger without a long term deal with us, I believe we will offer him a QO.

Perhaps, I just don't see it, I'd rather trade him to a contender at the deadline if that was the case

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you compare hamels right now to Hollands average year. Yes he is better. Hamels is TORP. Holland is a #3 to borderline #2

Holland is not a borderline 2...He is a 2. Hamels was closer to a 1 than a 2...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just because I don't agree with the necessity of that doesn't mean the point evaded me. I just disagree with it. Tepesch and Martinez both looked like they were ready to be starters in 2015 based on the way they finished 2014. Bonilla even looked like he might be ready. JD has indicated that he thinks there is a possibility that Chi Chi might prove to be ready. No matter how much you refine your game in the minors there is still always an adjustment period in the big leagues that those guys could have continued to get out of the way if they were starting up here in 2015.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He defiantly has gotten much better but I'm not going to say he's just as good as hamels just cause I'm a rangers fan lol

HaHa. And I am not going to doubt the numbers just because I want to believe the grass is always greener on the other side.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant see the light for all the doom and gloom of not contending this year, maybe not until 2016-17. Gallardo is probably a 10 million dollar rental but the move makes sense for the numerous reasons I and many have stated here before.

That light just might be a freight train labeled .500 Season. lol

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator: