• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If things go right, we could be in contention... then its a good trade to boost the pitching staff.

If things don't go right and he pitches well enough to be flipped for some prospects (Soria style)... then its a good trade

If he stays the whole year and pitches well, and we don't contend, its still a good trade, the 2 are mutually exclusive

If he gets hurt or pitches poorly is the only way this is a bad trade, but as of now, its a good one

I just want Bennie to say the trade makes sense for what it appears the intentions of it are.

The fan base wasn't going to be content going into the season with basically the same starting pitching that we finished the season with plus Detwiler. JD needed to make another move to give the team and fans a feeling of, we are at least giving the club a chance to contend.

The move also perhaps allows the Nicks and Chi Chi and Bonilla to work on their craft at Round Rock and only pitch sparingly at the ML level this year if injuries necessitate. Hopefully!

The pieces that the Rangers moved were likely to have seen little time on the big league club going forward.

Just say if he pitches decent the move made sense, hell even Larry said the move made sense and he hates JD

Going out and making a splash like adding Hamels and giving up a ton of pieces didnt make sense to me, if we still have lots of injury questions and there is a chance that even with the addition the Rangers might
not contend for the uncertainty of the offense. Gallardo for a decent package does

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If things go right, we could be in contention... then its a good trade to boost the pitching staff.

If things don't go right and he pitches well enough to be flipped for some prospects (Soria style)... then its a good trade

If he stays the whole year and pitches well, and we don't contend, its still a good trade, the 2 are mutually exclusive

If he gets hurt or pitches poorly is the only way this is a bad trade, but as of now, its a good one

And even with your bad trade scenario we left our big uns alone in regards to our prospects.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, and he'd (Hamels) cost us a hell of a lot more than $9 mil and a couple mid tier prospects.

That was my point.

Hamels was the PHL #2 in 2014 on a staff where about anyone would have been their #3. 2014 Philadelphia Phillies Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Hamels might have been TEX #2 in 2015 at 31yo earning $23.5mil ... but where would he be in the rotation in 2019 when he is 35yo and still making $23.5mil? Still #2? I honestly doubt he'd even beat out Holland as TEX #2. So TEX would be paying $23.5mil from day one for a #3.

Measured against Hamels probable position and output over the term of his contract and its cost makes the Gallardo trade for a guy who never figured in TEX middle infield future, two low-tier prospects and $9mil to be a no brainer. IMO.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there has been stories along those lines floating around since this morning. Talk about costing someone a shit ton in return, Washington may be asking for a team's whole farm

:lol:Yeah, that was my thinking too. I am good with what we have going on right now. The positive with him is he is still under control and a reasonable cost but I want to be really careful with our prospects.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

right now with what we didn't give up it is a good trade

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much better does the rotation look today vs the end of the season. Darvish Holland Gallardo Lewis Deteiler/Tepesch. Not a bad rotation folks.

have to agree that the rotation is better than it was

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there has been stories along those lines floating around since this morning. Talk about costing someone a shit ton in return, Washington may be asking for a team's whole farm

They'll be looking for a return similar to the one we got for texeira.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my point.

Hamels was the PHL #2 in 2014 on a staff where about anyone would have been their #3. 2014 Philadelphia Phillies Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Hamels might have been TEX #2 in 2015 at 31yo earning $23.5mil ... but where would he be in the rotation in 2019 when he is 35yo and still making $23.5mil? Still #2? I honestly doubt he'd even beat out Holland as TEX #2. So TEX would be paying $23.5mil from day one for a #3.

Measured against Hamels probable position and output over the term of his contract and its cost makes the Gallardo trade for a guy who never figured in TEX middle infield future, two low-tier prospects and $9mil to be a no brainer. IMO.

Hamels would cost a lot more that's for sure. But he is a superior pitcher to holland

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels would cost a lot more that's for sure. But he is a superior pitcher to holland

For how long? 2-3 years? Are you willing to give up the farm and $94 million for 2-3 years of a pitcher mildly superior to Holland, and less than Darvish?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lady who delivers that line played in the movie Sideways and was Paul Giamatti's mom.

Paul is the son of former MLB commissioner Bart.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For how long? 2-3 years? Are you willing to give up the farm and $94 million for 2-3 years of a pitcher mildly superior to Holland, and less than Darvish?

NO....not at all. For me, I'm delighted with this trade, as is, and even more delighted we didn't decimate our farm system.

Let's go back into "observation mode" for 2015 and see how everyone plays/recovers/grows and then make further evaluations at mid year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO....not at all. For me, I'm delighted with this trade, as is, and even more delighted we didn't decimate our farm system.

Let's go back into "observation mode" for 2015 and see how everyone plays/recovers/grows and then make further evaluations at mid year.

This is a pretty sound plan IMO. See who ends up winning the #5 starter spot, see if all the guys who were injured can bounce back, mix in Profar to get his value back up....the club will have trade pieces at the deadline whether we're buyers or sellers

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nope. I was just arguing that hamels is much better than holland

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK Cowboy;6233347[B said:
]This is a pretty sound plan IMO[/B]. See who ends up winning the #5 starter spot, see if all the guys who were injured can bounce back, mix in Profar to get his value back up....the club will have trade pieces at the deadline whether we're buyers or sellers

I hope so.

Not that JD won't keep listening and evaluating what's out there. But it wouldn't shock me to see us sit tight now, at least into ST.

Profar needs to stay in the minors for as long as it takes to regain his form and value. Right now he's of little use to any team, including us.

I think you make a valid observation about being buyer or seller at the deadline. Let's hope for the former since it would indicate a good season is transpiring for us.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar needs to stay in the minors for as long as it takes to regain his form and value. Right now he's of little use to any team, including us.

People have said that the biggest reason Profar didn't perform well in 2013 is that he didn't play day in day out and moved around to too many defensive positions. So IMHO, he needs to be in AAA - there doesn't need to be any talk of him trying to make the ML roster. Establish that from the get-go. Give him one position in the field and stick with that. Give him his 3/4 AB's every day. Get him into a routine and see how his bat and shoulder respond.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People have said that the biggest reason Profar didn't perform well in 2013 is that he didn't play day in day out and moved around to too many defensive positions. So IMHO, he needs to be in AAA - there doesn't need to be any talk of him trying to make the ML roster. Establish that from the get-go. Give him one position in the field and stick with that. Give him his 3/4 AB's every day. Get him into a routine and see how his bat and shoulder respond.

Leave him at AAA, and if Andrus gets hurt/traded, or Odor gets hurt/traded/isn't performing then call him up to play every day.