• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather spend $94mil for 4 seasons on a 31yo who would be pitching in the same spot in the rotation? I think this is a good deal. Much better than a decent deal. The Texeira trade was a great trade.

I've always been wary of a Gallardo trade due to the trends in his numbers, but even I have to say this is a slam dunk of a trade based on what we're paying in salary and prospects

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade brought on an increase in board discussion which I enjoyed. Lots to look forward too.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather spend $94mil for 4 seasons on a 31yo who would be pitching in the same spot in the rotation? I think this is a good deal. Much better than a decent deal. The Texeira trade was a great trade.

Which guy is that making 94 million?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GNG is a worthless poster who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, but always has something to say. I've yet to see him contribute one bit of value to a single thread.

I don't even know who this Guitars & Guns poster is

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade brought on an increase in board discussion which I enjoyed. Lots to look forward too.

Baseball fans getting that itch DT, and I don't mean the one you go to the "free clinic" for.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not realize Gallardo has made at least 30 starts in 6 consecutive seasons. Impressive. I know there were some poster(s) that actually have been wanting Gallardo for a while now but cannot remember who it was.

I've brought him up in the past. I believe we all talked about trading MM for him. My memory isn't great though.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've brought him up in the past. I believe we all talked about trading MM for him. My memory isn't great though.

I have brought him up in the past and I was about to post, I thought I remembered you bringing him up in the past as well. I remembered JTA was not a fan of trading for him before either. Gallardo has been a topic on this board before, a couple times

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dumb fuck decided to show up on the Cowboys thread and start slinging shit without know who was who or what was going on.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb fuck decided to show up on the Cowboys thread and start slinging shit without know who was who or what was going on.
That was quite a discussion as I recall.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have brought him up in the past and I was about to post, I thought I remembered you bringing him up in the past as well. I remembered JTA was not a fan of trading for him before either. Gallardo has been a topic on this board before, a couple times

I was in JTA's camp on Gallardo last time we talked about him based on his declining K rate, but he's really reinvented himself quite successfully. He's as solid as a #3 as you'll find, and we got him at a very reasonable cost.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Think he's usually trolling Seahawks fans over on the football boards, or in the political forums stirring the pot

Came on this board trolling Romeo awhile back on the Cowboys thread I believe

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think he's usually trolling Seahawks fans over on the football boards, or in the political forums stirring the pot

Came on this board trolling Romeo awhile back on the Cowboys thread I believe

That's all his posts do is stir the pot. Zero substance. He's dumb as a bag of hammers too.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in JTA's camp on Gallardo last time we talked about him based on his declining K rate, but he's really reinvented himself quite successfully. He's as solid as a #3 as you'll find, and we got him at a very reasonable cost.

Thought you were in that camp before too, I remember the convos. Yeah he's got the potential to be a fine pick up for what we sent in return and we got cash as well.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh but hamels would be 2nd behind darvish in the rotation. Not 3rd like gallardo is going to be. But still a good deal money wise

Yeah, and he'd cost us a hell of a lot more than $9 mil and a couple mid tier prospects.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the way it is constructed it was a good move by JD and it meets the needs of this season. If he pitches poorly I wouldn't see them trying to extend him and if he pitches well and they aren't contending he may bring back other pieces. Those pieces again you would unlikely be able to place a true value on based on your wait and see how it plays out. You cant really wait and if he performs poorly say that it was a bad trade." Thats not how it works, that's not how any of this works".

I love that line. Great commercial.

If he is flipped I will compare what we got to what we gave up. You never know. Sometimes teams are desperate enough at the deadline that they give up more for a half year of a player than they would now. I just want him to pitch well enough to get something for him as I don't expect to be in contention this year. If we just acquired him for this year and do not get anything of value for him at the deadline then I will not care much for the trade. Since I don't see us contending this year getting a pitcher for this year doesn't do much for me personally. I am willing to wait and see how it turns out though.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See how things shake out, if not competitive and he pitches decent try and recoup some prospects from a contender, could work for sure

Exactly.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: James Shields seeking five-years, $125 million

Former Royals pitcher James Shields is seeking a five-year, $125 million deal, according to the USA Today.

There were rumors Shields had received an offer worth $110 million earlier in the offseason, but turned it down because he didn't want to pitch for that club. It's unclear whether another team will pony up the cash for the 33-year-old. Though Shields is seeking a six-figure deal, teams are hoping to something closer to four-years, $80 million will get the job done. The Diamondbacks, Tigers and Blue Jays have all been mentioned as candidates for Shields recently.

Shields is coming off a season in which he posted a 3.21 ERA over 227 innings.

I guess some team might pay it? Thats a lot of dough for him though, especially with his post season struggles

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that line. Great commercial.

If he is flipped I will compare what we got to what we gave up. You never know. Sometimes teams are desperate enough at the deadline that they give up more for a half year of a player than they would now. I just want him to pitch well enough to get something for him as I don't expect to be in contention this year. If we just acquired him for this year and do not get anything of value for him at the deadline then I will not care much for the trade. Since I don't see us contending this year getting a pitcher for this year doesn't do much for me personally. I am willing to wait and see how it turns out though.

If things go right, we could be in contention... then its a good trade to boost the pitching staff.

If things don't go right and he pitches well enough to be flipped for some prospects (Soria style)... then its a good trade

If he stays the whole year and pitches well, and we don't contend, its still a good trade, the 2 are mutually exclusive

If he gets hurt or pitches poorly is the only way this is a bad trade, but as of now, its a good one