• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus Holland is a fraction of the price Hamels is. That has to be considered as well IMO.

You're right that there is much which goes into evaluating if a player is better or worth the money, when comparing them.

Something I think needs to be kept in mind is, although we love guys who eat up innings, and the fact Hamels has done a fantastic job of not only doing this, but pitching superbly too, those inning mount up at some point in time.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a pretty sound plan IMO. See who ends up winning the #5 starter spot, see if all the guys who were injured can bounce back, mix in Profar to get his value back up....the club will have trade pieces at the deadline whether we're buyers or sellers

it will be later in the season before you see Profar in the majors. they already said that he will start in the minors probably learning the 3B position and/or the OF and building up full strength in his arm. if everything goes according to plan with him we might see him around or after the ASB

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will be later in the season before you see Profar in the majors. they already said that he will start in the minors probably learning the 3B position and/or the OF and building up full strength in his arm. if everything goes according to plan with him we might see him around or after the ASB

I will be pissed the fuck off if they try converting him to OF. He loses way too much value out there.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be pissed the fuck off if they try converting him to OF. He loses way too much value out there.

I agree 100%. In fact, this makes almost no sense to me, if it is indeed true.

We have some very good prospects coming up for OF positions, and we're going to need a 3rd baseman and soon.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

We have some very good prospects coming up for OF positions, and we're going to need a 3rd baseman and soon.

I honestly hadn't heard anything about them trying to play him in the OF since the last debacle.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly hadn't heard anything about them trying to play him in the OF since the last debacle.

I haven't either and I agree that he needs to start in AAA and play a specific position for the majority of the time if not 100% of it. I also agree with posts above and many of us including myself stated this a couple years ago that they just messed this guy around way too much for his first season in the majors. If they do that I think we should see improvement in his offense.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Just something I read where they mentioned getting him some time in the OF.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave him at AAA, and if Andrus gets hurt/traded, or Odor gets hurt/traded/isn't performing then call him up to play every day.
That makes absolutely to much sense. lol and agree.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just something I read where they mentioned getting him some time in the OF.

Scotty....post what you read....I mean the actual article please.

Sorry, but this sounds like spaghetti throwing a little to me.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ JTA -

MLBTRADERUMORS: Meanwhile, the Rangers added Gallardo with hopes that he will throw well enough to warrant a longer-term relationship or, at least, a qualifying offer, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweets. It remains to be seen whether Gallardo will warrant a qualifying offer after the season, but he seems reasonably likely to receive and reject one. After all, the Brewers picked up his option this year at close to the QO rate and he will surely be looking for a long-term deal entering his age-30 season.

Looks like my statement wasn't off base like you made it seem when you said the Rangers won't offer a QO because he's not worth the 13 he's getting this year. I told you he'd be looking for a long term deal and if we don't give it to him that we would give him a QO.

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ JTA -

MLBTRADERUMORS: Meanwhile, the Rangers added Gallardo with hopes that he will throw well enough to warrant a longer-term relationship or, at least, a qualifying offer, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweets. It remains to be seen whether Gallardo will warrant a qualifying offer after the season, but he seems reasonably likely to receive and reject one. After all, the Brewers picked up his option this year at close to the QO rate and he will surely be looking for a long-term deal entering his age-30 season.

Looks like my statement wasn't off base like you made it seem when you said the Rangers won't offer a QO because he's not worth the 13 he's getting this year. I told you he'd be looking for a long term deal and if we don't give it to him that we would give him a QO.

I think the QO will be around 17 million next year. So if he puts up a good to great year, then he would be worth that.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want Bennie to say the trade makes sense for what it appears the intentions of it are.

The fan base wasn't going to be content going into the season with basically the same starting pitching that we finished the season with plus Detwiler. JD needed to make another move to give the team and fans a feeling of, we are at least giving the club a chance to contend.

The move also perhaps allows the Nicks and Chi Chi and Bonilla to work on their craft at Round Rock and only pitch sparingly at the ML level this year if injuries necessitate. Hopefully!

The pieces that the Rangers moved were likely to have seen little time on the big league club going forward.

Just say if he pitches decent the move made sense, hell even Larry said the move made sense and he hates JD

Going out and making a splash like adding Hamels and giving up a ton of pieces didnt make sense to me, if we still have lots of injury questions and there is a chance that even with the addition the Rangers might
not contend for the uncertainty of the offense. Gallardo for a decent package does

Yes, it was a trade that makes a lot of the fan base happy. If that was the goal and it very well might have been then it succeeded in doing that. That as a goal can be a very slippery slope though. There are times when a GM has to do the very unpopular thing for the betterment of the team. If we are not in contention and someone really wants Beltre very badly in 6 months then JD would need to do the very unpopular thing. It was once the unpopular thing to trade Teixeira. It was once unpopular to trade MY.

I know it has been stated over and over again that we didn't give up that much and we didn't. There are however, three less trade pieces should a trade come along at a more important time. Since I don't see us being in contention this season this trade does nothing to excite me. What can make it a wash to me is if we get a decent return for Gallardo in July. If JD does as good of a job trading Gallardo as he did with Soria it could become a plus to me. I am not trying to wait for hindsight; I am just waiting for the other shoe to fall.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the QO will be around 17 million next year. So if he puts up a good to great year, then he would be worth that.

He would only be worth it to me if Chi Chi, Thompson, Jackson and some others all had disappointing seasons this year. He could very well be worth that to some teams who don't have the pitchers at the top of their system the way we do.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ JTA -

The thing is though that Rosenthal has been wrong about the Rangers on way too many occasions for me to take what he says about them seriously.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you compare hamels right now to Hollands average year. Yes he is better. Hamels is TORP. Holland is a #3 to borderline #2

Why not compare what Holland is right now to Hamels right now to be fair? Why use Holand's career average numbers against Hamels right now? Holland is coming off an ERA of 3.13 over the past 2 seasons. Hamels has an ERA of 3.05 over the past 2 seasons. I didn't use just this past season because Derek had so few starts that his much better numbers than Hamels in 2014 by itself doesn't tell us enough. After taking into account the difference between the NL and the AL I would choose Holland based on the numbers. When you throw in the difference in their ages and the difference in what they are making it isn't any question to me.