• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros Designate Carlos Corporan For Assignment

The Astros announced that they’ve designated catcher Carlos Corporan for assignment in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for Colby Rasmus.

The 31-year-old Corporan hit .235/.302/.376 with six homers in 190 plate appearances for Houston last year. Over the past three seasons, he’s proven himself to be a competent defender (in terms of pitch-framing and throwing out base stealers) while exhibiting low batting average and OBP marks with respectable pop for a catcher.

Of late, Corporan has drawn trade interest from the Rangers, so it certainly seems possible that Houston will be able to move him before he must be exposed to outright waivers. Given Texas’ interest, I’d imagine that, at the very least, a deal for cash considerations could be reached, if not a trade to send a minor leaguer to Houston in exchange for Corporan’s services (be it from the Rangers or another club).

Corporan was arbitration-eligible for the first time this offseason and agreed to a one-year, $975K deal with Houston just last Thursday. That might take away a bit of his trade value, although that sum is largely negligible for a big league club that would have interest in trading for him.

Looks like Corporan will be the Rangers backup to Cheerio

I'd be good with Corporan

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're using one pitcher's best season compared to one pitcher's worst season since 2009 as your basis for who you'd rather have?

Let's not ignore the fact that Hamels' ERA in 3 of the past 4 seasons has been much better than anything Holland's ever done in anything resembling a full season.

Well, I would hope so since those 4 years were at the beginning of Holland's career. Almost every decent pitcher has much better numbers after 3-4 years into their career. It isn't fair to compare Holland's total career numbers at his point in his career to anyone that has been in the league as long as Hamels. The longer you are in the league the more watered down the effect of those early years in their career has on the total career numbers. I am looking at where they are presently based on the last couple of years.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennie you need to change your handle to "Mr Chicken Little."

If I'm reading you correctly, you would have been fine with going into the season with a starting staff of: Darvish, Holland, Lewis, Martinez and Tepesch. Is this correct?

So I am chicken little because I don't expect this team to be in contention this year?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, those are the things you're considering, and I happen to agree with you 100%. For the money and prospects it would take to land Hamels, I'd rather have Holland any day of the week.

But if you read Bennie's post, he clearly says just based on the numbers alone he would take Holland over Hamels due to AL vs. NL. And I'm sorry, but there's not a GM alive who would take Holland over Hamels provided that cost were equal. As both Rev and Stan pointed out, Hamels is a legit ace. Holland is a pretty clear-cut #2. Hamels has done it better and longer and he's still relatively young.

The other thing to consider is that Hamels wouldn't be replacing Holland in this hypothetical scenario. He'd be replacing Colby or Detwiler. You have to ask yourself if the cost of getting Hamels outweighs the production one of those other guys gets you for a fraction of the $$ and 0 prospects lost. Even then, I'm still with you Romeo- not worth it.

I also mentioned age and cost. Their ERAs the last 2 years are very similar though. I do think over the next 3 years if you adjust based on the difference in the leagues that Derek has a chance to put up just as good numbers as Hamels will. I think because he is homegrown that a lot of folks simply overlook how good Derek is becoming.

Then there are probably some folks who still have the crazy idea that just because Derek is funny and likes to clown around that he will never be a good pitcher. Some will never get past that.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Corporan than any of the catchers listed earlier. He would be a good backup.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@ JTA -

MLBTRADERUMORS: Meanwhile, the Rangers added Gallardo with hopes that he will throw well enough to warrant a longer-term relationship or, at least, a qualifying offer, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweets. It remains to be seen whether Gallardo will warrant a qualifying offer after the season, but he seems reasonably likely to receive and reject one. After all, the Brewers picked up his option this year at close to the QO rate and he will surely be looking for a long-term deal entering his age-30 season.

Looks like my statement wasn't off base like you made it seem when you said the Rangers won't offer a QO because he's not worth the 13 he's getting this year. I told you he'd be looking for a long term deal and if we don't give it to him that we would give him a QO.

He needs to earn it.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hamels would cost a lot more that's for sure. But he is a superior pitcher to holland

Sorry if this has been addressed. Been busy today. Other than hot stove talk not much to gain from comparing who is superior Hamels or Holland. Hamels vs Gallardo sure that's a worthy debate but not Hamels vs Holland. Here's why.

A debate about who is superior Hamels or Holland would not be important unless you were having to make a management decision about selecting one over the other. Last week TEX may have been having a Hamels vs Gallardo debate. That would be a best choice, superiority debate and very relevant.

Trying to establish who is superior Hamels or Holland were they both on TEX roster might not materialize in where they pitched in the rotation. Since they are both LHP and neither superior to Darvish quite probably they will not be pitching #2 and #3 but probably #2 and #4.

So while this might be an interesting hot stove topic ... whether one or the other is of superior value isn't that significant.

In my opinion the younger Gallardo at what he cost for a #3 is a far better value than would an older Hamels at a much higher cost for what would be at best a #2. This isn't even without recognizing TEX can flip Gallardo if they want at the end of the year and probably get as much as he cost in return while TEX would be stuck with Hamels or at least part of Hamel's contract long after he wilts.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nope. I was just arguing that hamels is much better than holland

Just went back and read what I originally wrote and I was the one that introduced Holland to the picture so I should have posted that response to my post ... not yours.

In all honesty if Hamels were in the rotation along with Darvish and Holland ... well that would be a very good 3/5 of a rotation and we wouldn't be complaining at all. With weather days and days off and the normal give and take of the season's ills it is unlikely the rotation would be pitching in order anyway. (Especially based on last year's experience).

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
when comparing pitchers that is one of the last things that most clubs look at.

Huh? So the reason Hamels is still looking for a job is what? He's not a good pitcher? So you think the $96mil for four years is one of the last things 30 clubs aren't looking at?

Yea Ray (or about any owner) never looks at the money.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Perhaps, I just don't see it, I'd rather trade him to a contender at the deadline if that was the case

Bingo. Flip him at the right time to the hungry needing contender and what TEX gets back has potential to be way better than they guys TEX gave up to get him.

If nobody needs him or he doesn't pitch good enough to get asked for ... then TEX can either make a QO so if he turns it down they get compensation. Or not offer him a QO and all it cost was the Three Musketeers.

It's a no brainer. I'm with JTA ... I hope he has a fantastic season up through the end of July. Then send him on to the team that needs him and reap the benefit. This is like shooting fish in a barrel. You can't hardly screw this one up.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am chicken little because I don't expect this team to be in contention this year?

Of course not. Don't be absurd.

You just seem to be so down-in-the-mouth with most moves here and the glass is half empty. You say you "disagree with the point" of him giving us depth and allowing our youngsters to learn and compete in the minors. Thus my comment.

Notice you didn't answer the question which was asked either. Why's that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
these are the available catchers:

John Baker (34)
John Buck (34)
Ryan Doumit (34)
Gerald Laird (35)
Wil Nieves (36)
Geovany Soto (32)

At the end of the 2013 season TEX made Soto a free agent on 31 Oct and then signed him five days later on 5 Nov. This past season OAK made him a free agent on 30 Oct ... <crickets>

TEX ... SOLD ... him to OAK. He wasn't even traded. He was sold.

If TEX who went into the off season with backup catcher near the top of its list the fact that they didn't sign any one of those guys including Soto ought to be a message that they will just bring someone into ST to split starts and see who gets cut somewhere else.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotty ... who was "they"? EG?

i don't remember who wrote it. they said that JD said Profar would definitely start the season in AAA and would spend a majority of the time working at 3rd and would also get some time in the OF.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the 2013 season TEX made Soto a free agent on 31 Oct and then signed him five days later on 5 Nov. This past season OAK made him a free agent on 30 Oct ... <crickets>

TEX ... SOLD ... him to OAK. He wasn't even traded. He was sold.

If TEX who went into the off season with backup catcher near the top of its list the fact that they didn't sign any one of those guys including Soto ought to be a message that they will just bring someone into ST to split starts and see who gets cut somewhere else.

when it comes down to it Chirinos is going to be the major catcher so bring in Corporan would serve us just fine.