• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer will receive $210MM for seven years of work, but the contract has an unusual structure, with Scherzer receiving $15MM per season for the next 14 years, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. That means the Nationals will be paying Scherzer through 2028. Also, Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan tweets that the deal includes a $50MM signing bonus that will be paid out “over a portion of time” for tax reasons. That bonus would, presumably, be included in the $210MM total. As Passan notes, the deferral makes the contract worth about $185MM in present-day dollars. (And MLB will calculate the value of the contract in present-day dollars for luxury-tax purposes, Rosenthal tweets.) The structure of the contract and Washington DC tax laws could ultimately save Scherzer over $20MM, however, Passan reports. Scherzer’s deferral is, obviously, the largest one in MLB contract history, leaving Bobby Bonilla and the Mets’ lengthy $29.8MM deferral in the dust.

This is how ludicrous MLB contracts have gotten. Crazy deferral, 50 million signing bonus? 2028 payoff

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar did about as well as could be expected for a rookie playing as often as he did while playing different positions.

SOP gets most teams left out of the postseason. The top teams think outside of the SOP box.

"Signing Yu Darvish to an extension" is hardly thinking outside the box. There's a schedule to these things and that's just how it goes.

As for Profar, watching Wash (yes I understand he gets most of the blame) shuffle the lineup to get him into games in 2013 got old really quick. That being said, it was well noted that Profar was overmatched most of the time, and to me he never seemed to make adjustments even after months of playing.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros finally got some folks that are trying to win in the FO

When the Astros signed Jeff Luhnow to the GM position I knew they were for real.

He's made a concerted effort to improve their minor league system, first and foremost. Pretty shrewd trade partner too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how ludicrous MLB contracts have gotten. Crazy deferral, 50 million signing bonus? 2028 payoff

You do know we still owe A-Rod about $50 mil don't ya?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Signing Yu Darvish to an extension" is hardly thinking outside the box. There's a schedule to these things and that's just how it goes.

As for Profar, watching Wash (yes I understand he gets most of the blame) shuffle the lineup to get him into games in 2013 got old really quick. That being said, it was well noted that Profar was overmatched most of the time, and to me he never seemed to make adjustments even after months of playing.

Juggling learning ML pitchers, adjusting to ML lifestyle, and trying to learn to play positions he had never really played before, yeah that's super easy

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, we are going to have to be in disagreement about both of these issues then.

Who noted that Profar was overmatched most of the time?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key phrase is " if things fall just right." There are a ton of things that have to fall right for this team to sniff the WS.

Well, of course. I wasn't suggesting the Rangers are anywhere near being WS favorites. But they have the talent to get there if things fall right. A lot of AL teams can say that this year. But with how dominant the Nats, Dodgers, Giants, and Cardinals are, there are a lot more teams in the NL who don't even have a shot.

I feel like the Rangers have a little more breathing room in the AL this year versus if they played in the NL.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros made a shrewd move today, turned a FA last year that didn't make much sense (Fowler) and flipped him to the Cubs for Dan Straily (and Valbuena), who had a lot of potential before struggling in his 2nd year in Oakland and then being used poorly by the Cubs

I could see him rebounding, he's only 26, What I think is funny is many people seeing this as a bad move bc Fowler made a lot of money, this is the very definition of a good move and the types of move that have the Astros finally moving in the right direction

i agree, they took a player they didn't need into a pitcher with possibilities and a decent IF'er

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer will receive $210MM for seven years of work, but the contract has an unusual structure, with Scherzer receiving $15MM per season for the next 14 years, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. That means the Nationals will be paying Scherzer through 2028. Also, Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan tweets that the deal includes a $50MM signing bonus that will be paid out “over a portion of time” for tax reasons. That bonus would, presumably, be included in the $210MM total. As Passan notes, the deferral makes the contract worth about $185MM in present-day dollars. (And MLB will calculate the value of the contract in present-day dollars for luxury-tax purposes, Rosenthal tweets.) The structure of the contract and Washington DC tax laws could ultimately save Scherzer over $20MM, however, Passan reports. Scherzer’s deferral is, obviously, the largest one in MLB contract history, leaving Bobby Bonilla and the Mets’ lengthy $29.8MM deferral in the dust.

Awful, awful deal for the Nats. Scherzer is a great pitcher, but they are paying him as if he's the best ever. That deferral amount is insane.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I wasn't saying it just happened with the signing of Scherzer, just pointing it out using the most recent contract as an example. I am speaking of the majority of baseball contracts and it started some time ago. Most are crazy now

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

actually i was just reading that when he opted out of the contract he signed with us it to sign a new deal with the Yankees it voided any money we still owed him. our last payment to him was in 2008

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone heard any more about us getting Carlos Corporan from the Astros? saw something a week or so ago and have not heard or seen anything since then

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone heard any more about us getting Carlos Corporan from the Astros? saw something a week or so ago and have not heard or seen anything since then

Nothing further has been written that I have seen. I still expect them to sign Soto

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually i was just reading that when he opted out of the contract he signed with us it to sign a new deal with the Yankees it voided any money we still owed him. our last payment to him was in 2008

Whatever you are reading is incorrect sir.

We still owe him $50 mil...this has been documented on here many times. If you've got information which proves this wrong, so be it, and present it.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: