• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guarantee JD will kick the tires

It would undoubtably cost

Odor
Thompson
Williams
Knebel
+
+
or something along those lines I would imagine

It's interesting that this comes out after the Scherzer signing. No way they can pay those two plus Zimmerman long term. It'd be great to ser one of them in Arlington, but the question then becomes, could the Rangers afford to be on the hook for $300 million+ once Yu and Strasburg/Zimmerman were locked up.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Profar did about as well as could be expected for a rookie playing as often as he did while playing different positions.

SOP gets most teams left out of the postseason. The top teams think outside of the SOP box.

Wash had a talent misusing rookies ... in addition to ineffective use of Jurickson Profar add Julio Borbon to the list.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, one by one let's look at this. The second article you linked to was written in March 2013. The guy saw Profar in 2 ST games and said, "Jurickson Profar, looked pretty overmatched in the early going. I saw him play twice and his at bats looked … unplanned. When he did have a decent idea of what was coming he didn’t handle it well." For one thing it was ST. For another thing he watched 2 ABs. Talk about small sample size.

I believe the third article is from the same guy who gave us all of that bogus Wash related stuff when Wash resigned. He also wants Profar to be the next Bryce Harper so he may have had a little too high of expectations to begin with don't you think? The guy is some fan with a Ranger blog. What should also be noted is that a lot of fans who really liked Kinsler had some bias against Profar while both players were here and this guy noted how great he thought Kinsler was so that should be considered as well.

The fourth article's author had this to say. "There were already whispers that Profar was a quadruple-A player (a guy who tears up AAA and the minor leagues but is over-matched in the major leagues). The fact that he injured his shoulder while lifting weights, suggesting that the shoulder was already hurt to begin with after little more than a half-season, added fuel to the fire." I don't know where the guy heard the "whispers", but he probably shouldn't be listening to them any longer. This guy also seems very challenged in even knowing how and when Profar hurt his shoulder.

The same guy wrote a piece last spring about the Rangers prospects and their potential fantasy value in the future. The article showed he had little understanding. He had Sardinas ahead of Gallo with honorable mentions to Jackson, Font, Beras and Buckle with not a word about Mazara or Chi Chi. I would not trust this guy regarding his baseball opinions. He is big into fantasy baseball and probably got burned by picking up Profar in 2013.

The first article did seem to be the most fair and he did call Profar overmatched. I disagree with him being called overmatched. The author went on to explain some of the reasons why I feel that way. He said, "He was one of the youngest players in the big leagues and had played in just over 300 minor league games. Another reason is his undefined role. After playing mostly at shortstop in the minors, Profar was thrown all over the field last year. He started at five different positions for the Rangers; the most came at second base, but he also made at least 10 starts at shortstop, designated hitter and third base." If Profar was overmatched then just about every rookie playing under the same circumstances is overmatched. I don't call that overmatched myself. I call it learning how to adjust to the big leagues. Every rookie goes through that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever you are reading is incorrect sir.

We still owe him $50 mil...this has been documented on here many times. If you've got information which proves this wrong, so be it, and present it.

I thought we were done with paying ARod myself. Now it could be that some of what we owed him while he was here has been deferred to this point and beyond, but I thought when he re-did his contract with the Yankees that it took us off the hook for any monies owed for the remaining years of the contract.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Signing Yu Darvish to an extension" is hardly thinking outside the box. There's a schedule to these things and that's just how it goes.

As for Profar, watching Wash (yes I understand he gets most of the blame) shuffle the lineup to get him into games in 2013 got old really quick. That being said, it was well noted that Profar was overmatched most of the time, and to me he never seemed to make adjustments even after months of playing.

Hard to get untracked if you are in/out of the lineup and appearing in different positions on the field and batting order.

Wash bounced Profar around yet MY and David Murphy had all sorts of stability with even more futility.

Have you ever noticed during that era of TEX management that a guy would be lighting up AAA and as soon as they were promoted they were sent to the end of the bench until they were totally frigid in order for Wash to make sure they wouldn't out perform one of Wash's vet buddies. Then out of the blue the promotee would be thrust into a spot start where he was bound to get off on the wrong foot. Wash had a unique way in bringing down talent in favor of his journeyman mindset.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We still owe him $50 mil...this has been documented on here many times. If you've got information which proves this wrong, so be it, and present it.

I've seen this written stating both recently, hard to say who has their facts straight, I couldn't find anything definitive either way though

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are a lot of Profar supporters out there, and that's cool. I'm simply not one of them, at least not anymore. He was completely mishandled in 2013, lost a very crucial year of development in 2014, and now it remains to be seen if he can even stay healthy. And honestly, even if things had worked out perfectly, I'm not entirely convinced he was going to bring that much to the table anyway.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to get untracked if you are in/out of the lineup and appearing in different positions on the field and batting order.

Wash bounced Profar around yet MY and David Murphy had all sorts of stability with even more futility.

Have you ever noticed during that era of TEX management that a guy would be lighting up AAA and as soon as they were promoted they were sent to the end of the bench until they were totally frigid in order for Wash to make sure they wouldn't out perform one of Wash's vet buddies. Then out of the blue the promotee would be thrust into a spot start where he was bound to get off on the wrong foot. Wash had a unique way in bringing down talent in favor of his journeyman mindset.

Exactly. Then when because of the tremendous amount of injuries Wash was forced to go with some rookies last year finally some of them performed well. Odor and Rua for example. Wash didn't want to give Chirinos the playing time, but he was forced to and we found out that Chirinos is a decent catcher. Before last year those guys would not have blossomed under Wash.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe I noted that Wash deserved most of the blame. So yes, I did notice.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their rotation is full of all-stars but I would be nervous giving up the prospects it would take to get Strasburg. I think he might have arm problems in his future. That could be the reason they are willing to unload him. I'd rather have Zimmerman with an extension.

Both zimm and Strasburg have had TJ surgery

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Have misplaced the link to the TEX payroll and I understood TEX was done paying Rodriquez with the final out of the 2010 season ... which ironically was Feliz freezing Rodriguez with a breaking ball called third strike that sent TEX to its first WS. I think that was the very last instant that he was on the payroll.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their rotation is full of all-stars but I would be nervous giving up the prospects it would take to get Strasburg. I think he might have arm problems in his future. That could be the reason they are willing to unload him. I'd rather have Zimmerman with an extension.

Sherman also adds that he hears the Nationals intend to keep Jordan Zimmermann, who’s eligible for free agency after the season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Rodriguez | Baseball Prospectus

Texas finished paying A-Rod in 2010.

10 years/$252M (2001-10)............Agreed 12/01 to defer $45M in salary to 2011-20 at 3% interest. Acquired by NY Yankees in trade from Texas 2/04 (waived no-trade clause).

10 years/$275M (2008-17)...............Texas obligated to fund $9M as part of deferred compensation provision in previous contract (to be paid with interest in $3M increments in 2008, 2009 and 2010).

Both of these are from the article you posted. It appears the later overrides the former, but in either case we are not done paying A-Rod, unless I'm misreading this.

This was posted by Evan Grant in August of 2013.

If Major League Baseball were to ban Alex Rodriguez for life because of performance-enhancing drugs, the New York Yankees would get off the hook for nearly $100 million in future salary.

The Rangers would not be so lucky.

The Rangers still owe Rodriguez approximately $40 million (which will grow to nearly $50 million by the time it is paid) in deferred money from his original contract. That money was later deferred even further to accommodate his trade to New York. It is to be paid from 2016-2025.

No wonder I'm confused. :noidea:

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 years/$252M (2001-10)............Agreed 12/01 to defer $45M in salary to 2011-20 at 3% interest. Acquired by NY Yankees in trade from Texas 2/04 (waived no-trade clause).

10 years/$275M (2008-17)...............Texas obligated to fund $9M as part of deferred compensation provision in previous contract (to be paid with interest in $3M increments in 2008, 2009 and 2010).

Both of these are from the article you posted. It appears the later overrides the former, but in either case we are not done paying A-Rod, unless I'm misreading this.

According to the article I posted, Texas finished paying A-Rod in 2010. Not sure about what Grant wrote.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His road splits are promising though. Should play well in places like Oakland and Seattle.

Yovani Gallardo
Home: 4.39 ERA, 14 HRs
Road: 2.70 ERA, 7 HRs

The HR park factors in 2014 rank Miller Park at #9 (1.142) and the Ballpark at #17 (.964)

The change in parks should factor well and likely offset the change in leagues somewhat. I think we will be pleased, again depending on what package goes the other way.

Whats the hold up? Do the medical people think they are on holiday or something? JK

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the article I posted, Texas finished paying A-Rod in 2010. Not sure about what Grant wrote.

Certainly conflicting info.

I remember last summer there was ******* hear about us owing him $50 mil, but surely the Grant article was the catalyst behind our thoughts.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

okay, i could be wrong but Spotrac shows this: Texas obligated to fund $9M as part of deferred compensation provision in previous contract (to be paid with interest in $3M increments in 2008, 2009 & 2010) which made me assume that we were done with him.