• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bite your tongue lol. You're so right, and if I'm the Rangers, I go in tomorrow and try and extend him. I've always thought it is your best chance to keep them. The difference in what he would make to end his agreement over the top of the scheduled amount makes it attractive for the player, provided you give him the legit offer. It's gonna take right around Kershaw money to get it done IMO. Yu didn't see any of the posting fee the Rangers ponied up to get him. There won't be any hometown discounts for a guy who has well outplayed the contract amount he actually pocketed

Posted this at the same time, you still thinking along the same lines over in Longview?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we worry about the Dodgers? Maybe their pockets aren't that deep. I'd guess our main competition would be the Yankees or Red Sox. I haven't seen either teams spend on a big contract recently. They might be saving up to make a run at him. The Angels could be another candidate. Dodgers might be out because of Kershaw, Greinke, and kemp weighing them down. Seattle has Cano and King Felix weighing them down. I just don't want him to hit the open market.

Lock him up now, if he hits the open market ANY team may surprise you and sign him to a crazy big deal

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we worry about the Dodgers? Maybe their deep pockets aren't THAT deep. I'd guess our main competition would be the Yankees or Red Sox. I haven't seen either teams spend on a big contract recently. They might be saving up to make a run at him. The Angels could be another candidate. Dodgers might be out because of Kershaw, Greinke, and kemp weighing them down. Seattle has Cano and King Felix weighing them down. I just don't want him to hit the open market.

Kemp plays for SD now

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer signed through 2021 for 180 million

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah pretty much

You think Verlander rebounds this year?

certainly, I also think Detroit is a little more careful with him going forward

Even in a down year in which he earned 20 million, he provided 18 million in value (3.3 WAR)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
certainly, I also think Detroit is a little more careful with him going forward

Even in a down year in which he earned 20 million, he provided 18 million in value (3.3 WAR)

I felt there was a health issue last year, arm fatigue or something and thought they would start to be more careful with him going forward. Logged a whole bunch of innings. Didn't help me much on my fantasy team. HAHA!

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can totally do it, but unless he wins the Cy Young in the next 2 seasons or finishes 2nd through 4th in BOTH seasons, he's here through 2017

I am sure I will hear it for this but Yu has to pick up his game against the AL West.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the elephant in the room is Yu Darvish. Nobody has been talking about him much lately, but how he leads the rotation next year and our ability to extend him looms large. I don't know how this team will bounce back if he leaves. JD better be prepared to throw Kershaw money at the guy.

It's an elephant in the room to us who are on the outside looking in. We've got him for the next 2 seasons, so an extension is a bit premature, but there's 0.00% doubt the Rangers don't give it their best shot.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why there hasn't been any updates.

TR Sullivan tweeted out that there wouldnt be a trade yesterday and possibly not even today.

So that leads me to think of physicals.

Moreland? Harrison? Scheppers? Knebel?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....at least I thought it was TR. (I cant find the tweet now)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an elephant in the room to us who are on the outside looking in. We've got him for the next 2 seasons, so an extension is a bit premature, but there's 0.00% doubt the Rangers don't give it their best shot.

This has been bantered about here for damn near a year now.

Darvish, if he reaches his incentives, can become a FA at the end of 2016. jta has posted this information several times earlier. But the bottom line is, he has to win or finish highly in the next two Cy Young awards or we have him for 2017 too.

I suspect if Darvish has a fine season and accomplishes his incentive goal then the ownance will be on the Rangers to try and sign him long term.

I've been on record here I think Yu has every intention of testing the FA waters. The Rangers can approach him during next season/end of, and offer to buy out his last year/two of his current - very low ball salary - and extend him for 5 years (or something).

It's going to be interesting.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Joelsherman1: Heard #Brewers #Rangers have deal in principle for Gallardo and that trade is in medical review right now