• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TR Sullivan almost always seems to have the right story unlike many other national and some local writers.

Daniels: Club not involved with top free agents, Hamels | texasrangers.com

That is not entirely true though. They could easily afford Cole Hamels and then some. Davis and Simpson have more money than they know what to do with. It's that they don't want to afford Hamels. Now if the article had said that Jon Daniels can't afford Cole Hamels with the tight budget he's been given, then yes. But you can't tell me that with all of the money Simpson and Davis have, not to mention what they raked in with the tv deal and added attendance that they couldn't afford a bigger payroll.

I'm not in favor of just spending a ton of money on overpriced free agents to try and win. I like the approach of letting the young and inexpensive guys step up. But when a top-end player comes along who wants to play for you and would be a good fit, you shouldn't let money get in the way (especially if you have deep pockets and own a team in the 4th largest market in the country). There is no salary cap in baseball. This notion that we just don't have the money to spend irks me to no end because technically it's far from the truth.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part is not entirely true though. They could easily afford Cole Hamels and then some. Davis and Simpson have more money than they know what to do with. It's that they don't want to afford Hamels. Now if the article had said that Jon Daniels can't afford Cole Hamels with the tight budget he's been given, then yes. But you can't tell me that with all of the money Simpson and Davis have, not to mention what they raked in with the tv deal and added attendance that they couldn't afford a bigger payroll.

I'm not in favor of just spending a ton of money on overpriced free agents to try and win. I like the approach of letting the young and inexpensive guys step up. But when a top-end player comes along who wants to play for you and would be a good fit, you shouldn't let money get in the way (especially if you have deep pockets and own a team in the 4th largest market in the country). There is no salary cap in baseball. This notion that we just don't have the money to spend irks me to no end because technically it's far from the truth.

Yes, they could afford it if they chose to. They have chosen a budget though and are sticking to it for this offseason anyway. There is really no reason the budget couldn't be $160 million if they wanted it to be.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they could afford it if they chose to. They have chosen a budget though and are sticking to it for this offseason anyway. There is really no reason the budget couldn't be $160 million if they wanted it to be.

My point exactly. I know that within their budget they can't afford him. It's the budget that makes me question their commitment to winning. You own a sports team to either win titles or make money. Very few owners in all of pro sports are able to accomplish both. Mark Cuban operates at a loss with the Mavs because he loves to win. With the Greenberg/Ryan/Simpson/Davis group, I thought we were getting an ownership group that would be willing to spend big but spend wisely. But now the two minority shareholders are gone and it seems that Simpson and Davis aren't willing to spend with the big boys (and the few times they do it's on Fielder and Choo).

So while I'm happy that they are smart enough to pass on the likes of James Shields and Max Scherzer for $200 Million or some ridiculous amount, I'm disappointed that they're not willing to take a chance on a proven stud like Cole Hamels for $96 Million. If they weren't paying Elvis Andrus a ridiculous amount to hit .260 with zero power and play average defense, they could probably afford a Cole Hamels-type.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point exactly. I know that within their budget they can't afford him. It's the budget that makes me question their commitment to winning. You own a sports team to either win titles or make money. Very few owners in all of pro sports are able to accomplish both. Mark Cuban operates at a loss with the Mavs because he loves to win. With the Greenberg/Ryan/Simpson/Davis group, I thought we were getting an ownership group that would be willing to spend big but spend wisely. But now the two minority shareholders are gone and it seems that Simpson and Davis aren't willing to spend with the big boys (and the few times they do it's on Fielder and Choo).

So while I'm happy that they are smart enough to pass on the likes of James Shields and Max Scherzer for $200 Million or some ridiculous amount, I'm disappointed that they're not willing to take a chance on a proven stud like Cole Hamels for $96 Million. If they weren't paying Elvis Andrus a ridiculous amount to hit .260 with zero power and play average defense, they could probably afford a Cole Hamels-type.

well said except they aren't going to be able unload Elvis right now. he has zero trade value

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not encouraged about Gallo. You strike out 40% of the time in the minors tells me you can't hit a curve ball. Hopefully, he can be coached up, but I think that's a big "IF".

I do like Alfaro. He won't be a Pudge, but he has promise.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not encouraged about Gallo. You strike out 40% of the time in the minors tells me you can't hit a curve ball. Hopefully, he can be coached up, but I think that's a big "IF".

beginning to think that Gallo might have more value as a trade piece but Alfaro can be big

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gallo's K rate is concerning, no doubt about it. But like you said, perhaps he gets coached up.

I don't expect Gallo to ever not be considered a high SO kind of guy. But if he can hit 40 HR's then we'll put up with his K's, no doubt about this either. In fact, we'll love it.

As far as Alfaro is concerned, the DMN article I posted about 7:30 this morning addresses his catching shortcomings, and I frankly found this a little concerning too.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo's K rate is concerning, no doubt about it. But like you said, perhaps he gets coached up.

I don't expect Gallo to ever not be considered a high SO kind of guy. But if he can hit 40 HR's then we'll put up with his K's, no doubt about this either. In fact, we'll love it.

As far as Alfaro is concerned, the DMN article I posted about 7:30 this morning addresses his catching shortcomings, and I frankly found this a little concerning too.
LOL Don. SO kind of guy reminded me of "The Mick". Very SO kind of guy but need I say more. Gallo may never reach that level but he won't need to, to be a valuable Ranger.:agree:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am hoping that it is something temporary that they never told us concerning their finances. I did think it was telling over a year ago that when JD made his statements about not going much over the 2013 budget for the 2014 budget that he also included a warning about this offseason. I had never heard a GM mention 2 offseasons at once when discussing how much they would spend. Hopefully, that is because he knew the same thing that hamstrung them last offseason would still be around another year and that that would be the extent of it. Hopefully, we are about to be past whatever that was.

While the subject of bad contracts is being brought up I will say again that I think Elvis' contract is only the third worst unless you include Harrison's. Elvis has the potential to still be improving, Prince and Choo do not and in fact are probably going the other direction. And no I am not ignoring the fact that they were hurt in 2014. Hopefully, Elvis learned some lessons last year and will hit, run and field better. His approach this offseason seems to indicate that that will be the case.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have heard and read a lot of folks who know a lot more about baseball than Evan Grant praise Alfaro for his catching ability so I would not be too concerned about it. Maybe Evan is listening to the same sources that told Fraley Pudge wasn't any good when we let Pudge go several years ago. Some of these writers have a hard time showing any optimism towards prospects.

I remember asking Evan a few years back what Mitch Morleand's chances were of coming up because he was having an outstanding year in AAA. Evan told me it wouldn't be anytime that year or something very similar. Mitch was up about a week later. So take what Evan or Gerry says about youngsters with a grain of salt. On the other hand Evan once embarrassed himself by voting for MY as MVP. These guys are very veteran friendly and very negative about prospects.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard and read a lot of folks who know a lot more about baseball than Evan Grant praise Alfaro for his catching ability so I would not be too concerned about it. Maybe Evan is listening to the same sources that told Fraley Pudge wasn't any good when we let Pudge go several years ago. Some of these writers have a hard time showing any optimism towards prospects.

I remember asking Evan a few years back what Mitch Morleand's chances were of coming up because he was having an outstanding year in AAA. Evan told me it wouldn't be anytime that year or something very similar. Mitch was up about a week later. So take what Evan or Gerry says about youngsters with a grain of salt. On the other hand Evan once embarrassed himself by voting for MY as MVP. These guys are very veteran friendly and very negative about prospects.

Pitch framing is something that can only come with experience, and he's only been catching a few years

Blocking balls (ie: passed balls) is the same thing, but he also has to have the willingness to improve, which would require a work ethic

His other major problem is walks, he doesn't do it, thats the main thing limiting his value at other positions, low OBP, his power is very real, probably a tick below Gallo's but is limited by his unwillingness to draw walks so pitchers can pitch around him, he makes better contact than Gallo but won't improve til the walks start coming

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitch framing is something that can only come with experience, and he's only been catching a few years

Blocking balls (ie: passed balls) is the same thing, but he also has to have the willingness to improve, which would require a work ethic

His other major problem is walks, he doesn't do it, thats the main thing limiting his value at other positions, low OBP, his power is very real, probably a tick below Gallo's but is limited by his unwillingness to draw walks so pitchers can pitch around him, he makes better contact than Gallo but won't improve til the walks start coming

Sounds a lot like AJP in that regard. Is his contact rate as good as AJPs career?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Rosenthal - Rangers are close to acquiring Gallardo from the Brewers...

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And im not sure how i feel about that....