• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah except if I remember correctly and many times I do not I was thinking that Perez would go through stretches where he would struggle and make a person wonder why they were so much in his corner. But when called up to the majors he pitched great.

It happened every time he got moved up. Then here came the knee-jerk morons. Dealt with them many times on espn.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game when his leg snapped going down the first base line.

One awful sound.

I was there too. I thought he was going to be a very good player. He seemed to never get over that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah except if I remember correctly and many times I do not I was thinking that Perez would go through stretches where he would struggle and make a person wonder why they were so much in his corner. But when called up to the majors he pitched great.

I was one of those who thought Perez was overrated for much of his minor league career. I don't think I have ever been more wrong about a youngster.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was one of those who thought Perez was overrated for much of his minor league career. I don't think I have ever been more wrong about a youngster.

You, like many others seemed to forget he entered the system at the ripe old age of 16.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else even mildly surprised that there is zero rumored interest in either Max Scherzer or James Shields at this point? I mean, I know their price tags are ridiculous, but they were arguably the top 2 starting pitchers available this offseason (with the exception of Lester). Even when players have big asking prices, there's usually an agent or a media mouthpiece out there to float some rumors to get the bidding wars started. But this offseason I have heard almost nothing about Shields except about the teams which aren't willing to sign him, and I've heard even less about Scherzer. Even the usual suspects like the Dodgers, Yankees, Angels, Red Sox, etc. seem to be uninvolved.

Do you think that their price tags will have to go down to get deals, or will some team take the plunge at current asking price?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this earlier this morning and it's quite encouraging.

It kind of reminds me of Martin Perez a little.

I see Chi Chi starting the year in AA, make him repeat his results and work on some things, after about 5 starts, moving him up to AAA and let him pitch there until injury ineffectiveness or September get here, start next season in the ML rotation

As I've said if he's lights out in ST, then you have to consider him an option, or at the very least start him in AAA, it all depends on ST

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone else even mildly surprised that there is zero rumored interest in either Max Scherzer or James Shields at this point? I mean, I know their price tags are ridiculous, but they were arguably the top 2 starting pitchers available this offseason (with the exception of Lester). Even when players have big asking prices, there's usually an agent or a media mouthpiece out there to float some rumors to get the bidding wars started. But this offseason I have heard almost nothing about Shields except about the teams which aren't willing to sign him, and I've heard even less about Scherzer. Even the usual suspects like the Dodgers, Yankees, Angels, Red Sox, etc. seem to be uninvolved.

Do you think that their price tags will have to go down to get deals, or will some team take the plunge at current asking price?

Not really, that's a lot of money, McCarthy is overpaid but 48 million is a lot easier to absorb if it doesn't pan out than 100-175 million, those are franchise killers especially with pitchers, we're seeing that with the effects of Fielder, Choo, Holland, Andrus & Harrison last year can't do much when a good chunk of your payroll is locked up in injured guys and in Andrus' case ineffective

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, that's a lot of money, McCarthy is overpaid but 48 million is a lot easier to absorb if it doesn't pan out than 100-175 million, those are franchise killers especially with pitchers, we're seeing that with the effects of Fielder, Choo, Holland, Andrus & Harrison last year can't do much when a good chunk of your payroll is locked up in injured guys and in Andrus' case ineffective

I agree 100%, but usually there's at least one team willing to take the plunge. I guess that's why I'm surprised no teams at all are rumored to be "in" on either one.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%, but usually there's at least one team willing to take the plunge. I guess that's why I'm surprised no teams at all are rumored to be "in" on either one.

They're probably all working behind the scenes trying to sell their team without driving up the price

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You, like many others seemed to forget he entered the system at the ripe old age of 16.

Oh, I knew what age he was. I just didn't realize that him being younger than some of our other successful pitchers at the same level would make that big of a difference. I knew it would make a difference, but I didn't know it would be that extreme. I think what Feliz did in the minors just prior to Perez spoiled me somewhat. I was very wrong about Perez though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They will get their money. They almost always do. I thought a few years ago that Boras would be stuck with Prince and then Detroit decided they would vastly overpay him. There is always at least one team that is willing to overpay.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is anyone else even mildly surprised that there is zero rumored interest in either Max Scherzer or James Shields at this point?

Fact that we have heard little to nothing as you noted indicates teams aren't interested in getting into a contest until someone else makes the first offer. Could be another team making a low ball offer or could be one of their agents reducing the ask.

In business he who quotes a dollar figure first loses.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Ruben Mateo had that horrible leg injury as an excuse

I was at the game when his leg snapped going down the first base line.

One awful sound.

True that was unfortunate

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there too. I thought he was going to be a very good player. He seemed to never get over that.

I was sitting on the first base side, and about 35 rows up, 20 ft outta the infield.

It was truly a gruesome scene. His leg snapped so violently, his foot hit his helmet as he was falling.

Thought earlier in his career he'd be a star. And the injury may have curtailed this. But in all honesty, he was one of those who thought he was a star long before he even got close. His head was bigger than his game IMO.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does a healthy Fielder only hit 18?

I don't think you can ever call a man his size healthy. As far as his HR numbers go if you plot them on a graph over the course of the last 4 years(ignoring last year's numbers) then they project out to about 18 at best for 2015. At some point though his numbers will probably appear to fall off of a cliff much like his dad's numbers did. His dad was 34 before that happened, but Prince is much more overweight at his height than his dad was at his height so it could happen to him even earlier than it happened to his dad.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was sitting on the first base side, and about 35 rows up, 20 ft outta the infield.

It was truly a gruesome scene. His leg snapped so violently, his foot hit his helmet as he was falling.

Thought earlier in his career he'd be a star. And the injury may have curtailed this. But in all honesty, he was one of those who thought he was a star long before he even got close. His head was bigger than his game IMO.

I don't recall ever reading anything bad about his attitude.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TR Sullivan almost always seems to have the right story unlike many other national and some local writers.

Daniels: Club not involved with top free agents, Hamels | texasrangers.com

The Rangers would like to add a starting pitcher before the end of the offseason, but they say they are not going to sign a big-name free agent and they are not likely to acquire Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels.
Texas has been linked to Hamels as a possible trade partner with the Phillies. But a Major League source said that as much as the Rangers like Hamels, they simply can't afford him.

General manager Jon Daniels has made the club's position clear throughout the winter, and he reiterated it on Friday during an appearance on MLB Network Radio.