• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lordy Bennie.....we didn't think they were overrated when we traded them. We just thought it was the right move at the right time.

A team can't depend on trading an "overrated" player (s) and expect to get something back. And I don't think we did this then, nor do I expect us to approach it for the future.

I was thinking the exact same thing. JD was very hesitant to include Smoak.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see your point on the Lee vs Hamels comparison. But on the overrated players that is a 20-20 hindsight. I thought Bleaven was overrated and obviously you did too but others did not. But at the same time there are those that we have thought would be great and did not pan out and vice versa.

Well, the final results were hindsight, but I didn't like Smoak way before the final results were shown. I was higher on Beaven, but not a whole lot more.

You are correct that it is not always clear beforehand. See Thomas Diamond.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lordy Bennie.....we didn't think they were overrated when we traded them. We just thought it was the right move at the right time.

A team can't depend on trading an "overrated" player (s) and expect to get something back. And I don't think we did this then, nor do I expect us to approach it for the future.

I thought Smoak was overrated when we traded him. I wasn't sorry to see him leave at all.

I am not depending on trading an overrated player. Sometimes it happens though.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure he will be given a shot to be the DH.

Hopefully DH is a spot to give guys like Choo, Beltre, and Fielder a day off from the field and give guys like Rua, Choice and Smolinski a chance to play more regularly

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully DH is a spot to give guys like Choo, Beltre, and Fielder a day off from the field and give guys like Rua, Choice and Smolinski a chance to play more regularly

I'm sure over the course of the season the DH slot will be used for that, but coming out of Spring Training they'll have a designated "full-time" DH. I can't seem them officially using the slot as a rotation for resting/playing people from Day 1.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but come 2016 or 2017 Thompson, Gonzalez, Jackson & Ortiz are projected to hit the majors and with Darvish, Holland & Perez locking down 3 of 5 starting positions thru at least 2019 and you have Tepesch, Martinez, Bonilla + who have already got ML starting experience. my point is that you use a couple of them to bring in someone like Hamel and you use the best of them to occupy and learn in the 5th spot while the others fine tune their pitching and if someone goes down or needs a rest you have them available

Why are we even discussing 2016? Other than Jackson, these guys other than Rodriguez might not even see AAA this year much less the majors. At the end of 2015 assess based on injuries and performance

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts as well.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we even discussing 2016? Other than Jackson, these guys other than Rodriguez might not even see AAA this year much less the majors. At the end of 2015 assess based on injuries and performance

Who is this Rodriguez that you keep mentioning? Only Rodriguez I know of is Guilder.

Do you mean Alex "Chi Chi" Gonzalez perhaps?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep in the back of my head June's MLB draft. That grows big with each passing day as well. Wonder which HS or college should we be looking at (cue Terps if he's still alive). Can't wait till that starts up again as well as the pros. Wonder if there's a way we can follow that kid Houston couldn't sign.

We'll find an ace there.

Matulella, Aiken & Kirby have "ace/torp" upside. (or so they all say) I would be ok with either 3.
But I wouldnt be shocked if they take Cameron.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to JD, he expects Chi-Chi to make a push in ST for a rotation spot.

Other than him though, I think you're right on target.

SORRY.....didn't read the previous post before responding......:noidea:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to JD, he expects Chi-Chi to make a push in ST for a rotation spot.

Other than him though, I think you're right on target.

SORRY.....didn't read the previous post before responding......:noidea:

The article I read said he COULD challenge for a rotation spot, but I'm under the assumption that means he could if he pitched so lights out that he had no choice, which I don't see,

I see chi chi in AAA for the majority of the season, maybe if injuries pop up, which probably means a busted season anyway, or a September call up

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomorrow the Winter Caravan rolls into my area and I am completely unprepared - have nothing to get signed. Was going to try a batting helmet this year and I can't find one to save my life.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detwiler signed for $3.45 million. Moreland is next.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomorrow the Winter Caravan rolls into my area and I am completely unprepared - have nothing to get signed. Was going to try a batting helmet this year and I can't find one to save my life.

Academy usually has the MLB baseballs in the clear case, but may be out with the caravan there tomorrow. Last year I managed to find a couple MLB replica bats that I had Choice and Mitch each sign one when the caravan rolled through here.

I buy my helmets, bats and balls etc. online and through collectible supplies.com, though it is bit late for tomorrow. I just ordered 12 bats, 24 baseballs and a few helmets for FanFest. Authentic helmets are $59.99. Another site Fansedge has some unsigned jerseys and such as well. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Academy usually has the MLB baseballs in the clear case, but may be out with the caravan there tomorrow. Last year I managed to find a couple MLB replica bats that I had Choice and Mitch each sign one when the caravan rolled through here.

I buy my helmets, bats and balls etc. online and through collectible supplies.com, though it is bit late for tomorrow. I just ordered 12 bats, 24 baseballs and a few helmets for FanFest. Authentic helmets are $59.99. Another site Fansedge has some unsigned jerseys and such as well. Good luck

Any idea on where to get some photos for them to sign? I caved and got a fastpass -- and since I already have some baseballs signed (prev. years)- i'd like to get photos signed this year.

Bats are next year. :nod:

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have the baseballs, I just usually don't buy them because that gets expensive. I prefer to get all the sigs I can on one item if I can, just saves space and money.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea on where to get some photos for them to sign? I caved and got a fastpass -- and since I already have some baseballs signed (prev. years)- i'd like to get photos signed this year.

Bats are next year. :nod:

Ballpark gift shop if you can make it up there before FF.