• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You are probably thinking of Troy Glaus. Miggy is 6'4" and play 3rd and 1B. Not great at 3rd but I would take him. :)

Glaus was a terrible fielder at 3b or 1b ... absolutely terrible. Worse than Miggy even. Miggy salvation was moving to 1b. IMO.

Still don't see Gallo at 3b at the ML level. We'll see where he plays during ST and starts the season. That will be where TEX wants him.

Got to get my baseball brain working ... month until pitchers and catchers report.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glaus was a terrible fielder at 3b or 1b ... absolutely terrible. Worse than Miggy even. Miggy salvation was moving to 1b. IMO.

Still don't see Gallo at 3b at the ML level. We'll see where he plays during ST and starts the season. That will be where TEX wants him.

Got to get my baseball brain working ... month until pitchers and catchers report.

Romeo posted above that they might be holding off on position changes once they get his swing issues more under control, b/c its his bat that will ultimately determine his value anyway

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Romeo posted above that they might be holding off on position changes once they get his swing issues more under control, b/c its his bat that will ultimately determine his value anyway

Well that's true. Ultimately his value will be his bat. Sorting it out and a position change at the same time is probably not the best idea. Hope he can sort out both in 2015.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers OF Shin-Soo Choo making progress in rehab

With six weeks before the start of spring training, Rangers outfielder Shin-Soo Choo (elbow) told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Saturday that he's feeling "too good" in rehab from ankle and elbow surgeries. Choo, who was cleared for all baseball activities recently, is primed to move from left field to right field next season.

The 32-year-old hit just .242/.340/.374 over 455 at-bats in 2014.

Will Choo have a bounce back year?

Bennie, I already know your thoughts on Choo

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kela can bring it. Hopefully they don't play around with making him a starter.

Well rev since he's never been a SP since we drafted him - which is very, very unusual - don't see this as being a concern.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers OF Shin-Soo Choo making progress in rehab

With six weeks before the start of spring training, Rangers outfielder Shin-Soo Choo (elbow) told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Saturday that he's feeling "too good" in rehab from ankle and elbow surgeries. Choo, who was cleared for all baseball activities recently, is primed to move from left field to right field next season.

The 32-year-old hit just .242/.340/.374 over 455 at-bats in 2014.

Will Choo have a bounce back year?

Bennie, I already know your thoughts on Choo

Well let's discuss a different angle that I tried to broach above. If Choo moves to RF and if Gallo doesn't stay at 3B and RF is the most logical choice for him then what gives in 2016?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's discuss a different angle that I tried to broach above. If Choo moves to RF and if Gallo doesn't stay at 3B and RF is the most logical choice for him then what gives in 2016?

too many questions concerning this coming season to worry about 2016

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too many questions concerning this coming season to worry about 2016

That is a cop out. If you don't care enough to think about it just say so. 2016 is just as important as any other season and this is a very discussable situation. There is nothing wrong with thinking about the future and discussing it. The team has a much brighter future past 2015 than they do in 2015 and that is partially because of Gallo.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a cop out. If you don't care enough to think about it just say so. 2016 is just as important as any other season and this is a very discussable situation. There is nothing wrong with thinking about the future and discussing it. The team has a much brighter future past 2015 than they do in 2015 and that is partially because of Gallo.

Prospects are just that... prospects. You worry about 2016 - around this time next year.... can't worry about it now.

While I agree that the future seems bright -- it could just as easily turn dark if they all hang up in AA.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just hope he has bounce back season so that if they have to make a decision on whether to move him or have him make a position change that there is enough value there to do either. Obviously they will have to probably eat some money, as the contract was an overpay which most are nowadays.

I really hope the guy gets his health back and can be a productive ballplayer again, he was dealt a lot of misfortune last season, as were lots of Rangers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospects are just that... prospects. You worry about 2016 - around this time next year.... can't worry about it now.

While I agree that the future seems bright -- it could just as easily turn dark if they all hang up in AA.

I don't agree with that at all. For one thing I think you really undervalue prospects. For another I think fans should be concerned with more than just the next year. Prospects from 2009 and before once got us to a couple of WS. Also, discussing something doesn't equal worry. Baseball is a talking sport that lends itself to discussion about not only the next year, but the next several years. I don't get the whole idea that you can't discuss more than one year at a time.

Besides, what they plan on doing in 2016 will affect this year in some ways. Should they decide that Gallo will be a RF then if they are not in contention in July that might mean they seek to trade Choo at the deadline.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope he has bounce back season so that if they have to make a decision on whether to move him or have him make a position change that there is enough value there to do either. Obviously they will have to probably eat some money, as the contract was an overpay which most are nowadays.

I really hope the guy gets his health back and can be a productive ballplayer again, he was dealt a lot of misfortune last season, as were lots of Rangers.

I agree.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that is exactly what i've been saying. some on here seem to be fantasizing that we are suddenly going to have all of these prospects jumping to the big leagues in 2016.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with that at all. For one thing I think you really undervalue prospects. For another I think fans should be concerned with more than just the next year. Prospects from 2009 and before once got us to a couple of WS. Also, discussing something doesn't equal worry. Baseball is a talking sport that lends itself to discussion about not only the next year, but the next several years. I don't get the whole idea that you can't discuss more than one year at a time.

Besides, what they plan on doing in 2016 will affect this year in some ways. Should they decide that Gallo will be a RF then if they are not in contention in July that might mean they seek to trade Choo at the deadline.

anything they do with prospects like Gallo will probably occur after the 2015 season. if they plan on using him in RF then he needs a season in the minors playing in RF to get him acclimatized to the position just like they will be looking at Profar at positions in the minors before they throw him at those positions in the majors. do you think they are going to throw him there cold?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexi Ogando was 92 to 93 and touched 94 at a bullpen session for numerous teams last week,” says Reynolds. “After an earlier examination by Dr. [James] Andrews, coupled with his promising progression, we believe Alexi should have no problem securing a job and will be pitching on Day 1 of 2015 Spring Training.”

Watch him go elsewhere and pitch lights out with no injuries. Baltimore you hear this?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anything they do with prospects like Gallo will probably occur after the 2015 season. if they plan on using him in RF then he needs a season in the minors playing in RF to get him acclimatized to the position just like they will be looking at Profar at positions in the minors before they throw him at those positions in the majors. do you think they are going to throw him there cold?

No, Gallo does not need to spend a whole season in the minors playing RF before he can play it up here. Look at Rua. They threw him in the OF last year with no experience at all even though ideally getting in some games in the minors is better. They don't need anywhere near a whole season though. They will need to decide at some point this season what they will do with him so he can get some games in RF before this season is over.

Profar doesn't need to be looked at at different positions. He needs to prove he is healthy and that he is back to where he was before offensively.