• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with jta here. I see him as well as a RF, 1B, DH and fill in at 3B if needed in a crunch.

I used to read that he would eventually move to RF to take advantage of his arm, but I haven't heard anyone mention that in awhile.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another positive MRI for Texas Rangers infielder Jurickson Profar | Dallas Morning News

If he gets completely well I still expect Profar to be the regular second baseman here before the end of June. Nothing against Odor, but Profar's upside is much higher if he can ever get healthy. We really need to see what he can do when playing here on an everyday basis before next offseason in order to make personnel decisions.

I would be looking to put Profar at 3rd. This is Beltre's last year at 3rd, I bet. If EA gets moved eventually then he can go back to SS. I don't see any reason to pull Odor after showing so much promise. I guess it depends on their progress.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not put it past that Odor hits close to 300 with 20-25 HRs. As an example in 2013 at Myrtle Beach which is not a hitters park he was leading the High A with 33 doubles in 379 ABs with a Slg Pct of 454. When called up to Frisco in 134 ABs he hit 8 2b, 2 Trips and 6 HRs with a Slg Pct of 530. His combined avg was 305 in 2013. He started off slow at Frisco in 2013 with a Slg Pct of 450 and was called up to the Rangers and in 386 Abs hit 14 2b, 7 trips and 9 HRs with a Slg Pct of 402. He will turn 21 on Feb 3rd. He has the potential regarding his power. I see him as a 280 hitter with good potential to hit 20 doubles and 20 HRs. He still needs work in his defense. I still say we want Profar to be our future 3b if he can stay healthy. So I prefer to keep them both.

:10:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pulled this from the article. That's crazy

Our friends at Forbes magazine listed Thursday the personal worth of co-owner Ray Davis as $2.9 billion. With the stock market percolating and such, by Forbes’ daily calculation, Davis earned $27.2 million
on Thursday alone

That should get him a couple years of a pitcher to slot in at 3-4

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are some folks who actually think you have to have well more than 5 starters in camp. I am not talking about having 3-4 projects either, they mean major league ready starters. They take the saying "you can never have enough pitching" seriously. I have never understood that myself as it completely ignores other roster requirements and budget requirements.

Jumping in here ... think the perspective goes back to 2008 era when we first talked about this on the old board ... but strong belief when you see how each season plays out that on average unless you have 10 SPs that are ML ready SPs that you will end up having to do some odd transactions.

The first 5 SPs are your ML 25 man roster SPs ... the second 5 SPs is your AAA rotation who are on your 40 man. During the season you are always trying to upgrade your #9 and #10 spots.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be looking to put Profar at 3rd. This is Beltre's last year at 3rd, I bet. If EA gets moved eventually then he can go back to SS. I don't see any reason to pull Odor after showing so much promise. I guess it depends on their progress.

What I found very revealing was that after seeing Odor play 2b you saw what it does when you have a natural 2bman playing 2b rather than a transplanted SS playing 2b.

Consider this ... guys who have played 2b over the past couple of years ... Young, Soriano, Kinsler, Profar all were natural SS in the minors up to AAA if not ML-level. They ended up playing 2b for reasons of getting them into the lineup.

(In Soriano's case he had only 2 years in the minors and 44 errors at SS in those 2 seasons. So if you thought he was pretty bad at 2b ... well he must have been off the roof at SS).

Odor while still raw and needing fielding work is a 2b man. IMO Profar's shoulder issues may affect his future value in getting over to 3b or even returning to SS though. So ... I bet Profar works at 2b at AAA so as to not expose his shoulder any more than TEX has to in case somebody calls JD about him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably thinking of Troy Glaus. Miggy is 6'4" and play 3rd and 1B. Not great at 3rd but I would take him. :)

Thank you....could not come up with name to save me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jumping in here ... think the perspective goes back to 2008 era when we first talked about this on the old board ... but strong belief when you see how each season plays out that on average unless you have 10 SPs that are ML ready SPs that you will end up having to do some odd transactions.

The first 5 SPs are your ML 25 man roster SPs ... the second 5 SPs is your AAA rotation who are on your 40 man. During the season you are always trying to upgrade your #9 and #10 spots.

Thanks for clarifying. Barring injuries we should have several pitchers in AAA who are very close to being ready or at least in the final stages of getting ready.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with jta here. I see him as well as a RF, 1B, DH and fill in at 3B if needed in a crunch.

So when should the organization begin giving him everyday playing time at the new position. I would think if he keeps progressing the way he has that he is a year away from being up here. How much time beforehand should be spent at the new position during the season at the minor league level? Also, if that doesn't happen by this summer does that mean the Rangers are planning on leaving him at 3B?

How does Choo moving to RF and Fielder being at 1B play into the decision to move him? All we heard a year ago was that with Fielder making so much that he would be at 1B and not DH. Beltre, oddly enough, seems to be the one who could be blocking him the shortest amount of time of the three. Unless they are planning on trading Choo next offseason.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when should the organization begin giving him everyday playing time at the new position. I would think if he keeps progressing the way he has that he is a year away from being up here. How much time beforehand should be spent at the new position during the season at the minor league level? Also, if that doesn't happen by this summer does that mean the Rangers are planning on leaving him at 3B?

How does Choo moving to RF and Fielder being at 1B play into the decision to move him? All we heard a year ago was that with Fielder making so much that he would be at 1B and not DH. Beltre, oddly enough, seems to be the one who could be blocking him the shortest amount of time of the three. Unless they are planning on trading Choo next offseason.

I'm betting they'll keep him at 3b until they're comfortable that his development with the bat has reached a point that they're not concerned that having to learn a new position will be an issue. They have some important things they're trying to develop with his hitting and I'm betting they figure it's easier to let him purely focus on that while keeping him as comfortable as possible in the field. I think we see him in September this year, and if they're comfortable with what they see, they may consider working him out at other positions in ST with a mid season call-up in the event of injury being a possibility.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting they'll keep him at 3b until they're comfortable that his development with the bat has reached a point that they're not concerned that having to learn a new position will be an issue. They have some important things they're trying to develop with his hitting and I'm betting they figure it's easier to let him purely focus on that while keeping him as comfortable as possible in the field. I think we see him in September this year, and if they're comfortable with what they see, they may consider working him out at other positions in ST with a mid season call-up in the event of injury being a possibility.

What position do you see him at to begin 2016?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What position do you see him at to begin 2016?

I don't know yet. Part of me thinks they may put him in the OF and move Rua to first if Rua is still working out.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly what my thoughts were last season.

Didn't he pick up a few AB in the OF last season? Not many, but a few. Seems like I remember this.

Some of what happens with him, position wise, may depend on how Profar does this season, me thinks. If Profar is going to be our answer at 3rd for the long term, then that big boy's bat is going to the OF.