• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope all have a safe and prosperous New Year!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm already having some wine, watching some college ball, got my sweat clothes on, and ain't getting near my cars keys until tomorrow morning. Ha

Happy New Year guys.....let's all be safe please.....want to hear and banter around with each of ya in 2015.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' 2015 dynamic dependent on health | texasrangers.com

1. Will the Rangers get the most out of Prince Fielder?
2. Will Joey Gallo make the team out of Spring Training?
3. Can the Rangers assemble a bullpen as good as the one the Royals had last October?
4. Where do the Rangers stand with pitchers Martin Perez and Matt Harrison?
5. Will Shin-Soo Choo stay healthy?
6. What can the Rangers expect out of Elvis Andrus?
7. How will the rotation shake out?
8. Will the Rangers add another catcher to go with Robinson Chirinos?
9. Who will play left field?
10. Where do the Rangers stand with infielder Jurickson Profar?

no, no, can't tell yet, last half of the season and probably not much at all, no, better, Detwiler and Tepesch, no, Rua, and in the minors at first.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Will the Rangers get the most out of Prince Fielder?
No idea, but I think he'll be a productive bat in the lineup.
2. Will Joey Gallo make the team out of Spring Training?
No, and anyone who thinks this is a remote possibility is a fucking moron.
3. Can the Rangers assemble a bullpen as good as the one the Royals had last October?
I never worry about JD's ability to assemble a bullpen.
4. Where do the Rangers stand with pitchers Martin Perez and Matt Harrison?
Don't count on either this season.
5. Will Shin-Soo Choo stay healthy?
Yes.
6. What can the Rangers expect out of Elvis
?????
7. How will the rotation shake out?
Darvish, Holland, Detweiler, Lewis, ????
8. Will the Rangers add another catcher to go with Robinson
Yes. Soto maybe.
9. Who will play left field?
Rua maybe.
10. Where do the Rangers stand with infielder Jurickson
All dependent on his health. Starts the season in AAA.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know much about Deglan, but I love hearing these kinds of things. If he keeps hitting the ball out of the park and he'll find his way to the bigs.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple side notes:

Angels would like to trade Hamilton. LOL! Of course they would. His salary in 2015 is 25.4 mill and then 2016 and 17 it is 32.4 mill. They would need to pay half of that salary at the least in order to trade him.

Haren will not report to Miami and wants to go to a West Coast team. I hope for once a team, Miami in this case, just sits on it and eventually fines Haren or he has to retire and not give in to his demands. Tired of it when athletes do stuff like this.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deglan has been such a huge disappointment thus far that I have to see a little more than Winter League success, but you have to be impressed to a certain extent with what he has done this offseason.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple side notes:

Angels would like to trade Hamilton. LOL! Of course they would. His salary in 2015 is 25.4 mill and then 2016 and 17 it is 32.4 mill. They would need to pay half of that salary at the least in order to trade him.

Haren will not report to Miami and wants to go to a West Coast team. I hope for once a team, Miami in this case, just sits on it and eventually fines Haren or he has to retire and not give in to his demands. Tired of it when athletes do stuff like this.

Agree 100% on Haren. I'm sorry, but if you choose to be a professional athlete for a living, you don't get to select the city where you work. Unless you're one of the truly elite players or you're special enough to negotiate a no-trade clause into your contract, you have to play wherever you are dealt or drafted. That's part of the deal. In exchange for relocating to different cities across the US and Canada at a moment's notice, you get to make more money than 99.9999% of the world will ever see in their lifetime playing a kid's game. Boo hoo. You are Dan Haren, not Clayton Kershaw. If it's that important for you to be on the west coast by your family, then fine. Retire. I cannot stand professional athletes who forget what an absolute privilege it is to play sports for a living and be worshipped by thousands or even millions of people.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100% on Haren. I'm sorry, but if you choose to be a professional athlete for a living, you don't get to select the city where you work. Unless you're one of the truly elite players or you're special enough to negotiate a no-trade clause into your contract, you have to play wherever you are dealt or drafted. That's part of the deal. In exchange for relocating to different cities across the US and Canada at a moment's notice, you get to make more money than 99.9999% of the world will ever see in their lifetime playing a kid's game. Boo hoo. You are Dan Haren, not Clayton Kershaw. If it's that important for you to be on the west coast by your family, then fine. Retire. I cannot stand professional athletes who forget what an absolute privilege it is to play sports for a living and be worshipped by thousands or even millions of people.

Very well said, and I concur 100%.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately, I would imagine about 90-95% of professional athletes fall into this category.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no issues with players wanting to select their places to play as long as they're not under contract or like you said you have a special NTC and you have a select number of cities on your list where you'll only accept to get traded too.

Problem is these players sometimes not only want to play in the cities of their choosing but also demand to have the highest pay come with that.

Lots of athletes are spoiled douches but that's just what we've come too. The money is too big and too great that it gives these players the ego because worst case scenario they still have a buttload of millions in the bank already and at some points organizations just have to move on because even if say Haren gives in and reports we know he doesn't want to be there and it may just cause even more problems if he's a cancer in the room that spreads in the locker room.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

totally agree with every word

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We signed Juan Carlos Oviedo (the pitcher formerly known as Leo Nuñez) to a minor league tryout deal. Hooray.

In all seriousness though, it's not a bad low-risk move. He had a sub-4 ERA in 32 innings last year (although his FIP is not too pretty).