• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think West has a fairly good chance at becoming a good relief pitcher. I think we will probably wish we hadn't released him eventually.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think West has a fairly good chance at becoming a good relief pitcher. I think we will probably wish we hadn't released him eventually.

Can't keep everybody. Not sure who I would've recommended letting go in order to keep him.

And I do like the move of getting Rosales back.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't keep everybody. Not sure who I would've recommended letting go in order to keep him.

And I do like the move of getting Rosales back.

They could have went with Sardinas as the backup middle infielder. I just have the feeling that in a couple of years when we are ready to compete that West will be seen as a more valuable player than Rosales. Of course neither of them may be worth anything much in a couple of years. That is always a possibility too. I just don't see Rosales as being worth the risk of missing out on a young arm with potential. Who knows, maybe he slides by and they can sign Matt to another deal and keep him off the 40 man.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have went with Sardinas as the backup middle infielder. I just have the feeling that in a couple of years when we are ready to compete that West will be seen as a more valuable player than Rosales. Of course neither of them may be worth anything much in a couple of years. That is always a possibility too. I just don't see Rosales as being worth the risk of missing out on a young arm with potential. Who knows, maybe he slides by and they can sign Matt to another deal and keep him off the 40 man.

Rosales is much more versatile and has some pop in his bat which Sardinas lacks. I like the idea of having Sardi in the minors playing everyday too.

I too like West. But frankly, I don't count nor discount his future stardom. He may be serviceable as early as next season. Nothing I'm too worked up about one way or the other though.

For some reason, I think the signing of Rosales is a signal of something else coming down the pike. Can't put my finger on it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosales is much more versatile and has some pop in his bat which Sardinas lacks. I like the idea of having Sardi in the minors playing everyday too.

I too like West. But frankly, I don't count nor discount his future stardom. He may be serviceable as early as next season. Nothing I'm too worked up about one way or the other though.

For some reason, I think the signing of Rosales is a signal of something else coming down the pike. Can't put my finger on it.

I wouldn't be surprised If both Sardinas and Rosales got the chance to play next year in the bigs that Sardinas had a better OPS than Rosales. I think last year was some what of a fluke for Adam. Luis can be very versatile himself.

I am not going to get too worked up about it either, but I think in a couple of years the decision to go with Rosales instead of West might very well look bad for them. I wouldn't get too worked up if we sign someone else and release Rosales yet again. When we get ready to go to the postseason again I don't think we will miss Adam if he isn't here any longer.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
... on Haren ... .

You'd think a guy who has pitched in six cities and now with a 4.33 ERA in three cities over the last three seasons going into his 34yo season making $10mil would have figured it out by now that if he had half the ERA he might have a voice in where he goes next.

Pitching for the Hollywood Dodgers has gone to his head. At least LAD thinks moving him while paying his entire 2015 salary of $10mil is worth it. Talk about a message.

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Putkonen was put on waivers. Might be our kind of a player to pick up.

Meanwhile, the 28-year-old Putkonen missed most of last season after suffering a bone spur in his right elbow, which ultimately require surgery. He had thrown 29 2/3 promising innings at the major league level the year prior, working to a 3.03 ERA with 8.5 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9. Putkonen had been on an upward trajectory after transitioning from a starting role, and his mid-90s heater (when healthy) should draw plenty of interest around the league.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke Putkonen was put on waivers. Might be our kind of a player to pick up.

Meanwhile, the 28-year-old Putkonen missed most of last season after suffering a bone spur in his right elbow, which ultimately require surgery. He had thrown 29 2/3 promising innings at the major league level the year prior, working to a 3.03 ERA with 8.5 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9. Putkonen had been on an upward trajectory after transitioning from a starting role, and his mid-90s heater (when healthy) should draw plenty of interest around the league.

you are probably right but i thought we were moving away from that kind of move. the mlb medical rehab team

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are probably right but i thought we were moving away from that kind of move. the mlb medical rehab team

I think we are going to have to depend on those types of moves for as long as we keep the same self-inflicted budget constraints. Hopefully, at some point those invisible and unexplained constraints will be lifted off and we can move along normally.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it can be justified if it is low risk money wise. This guy has potential and for the price may be the type of player that could turn out to be a big positive. Of course there is no guarantees but he is one I would think would be worth looking at.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The difference is I have more experience," Feliz said. "I control more pitches and rely on my repertoire."
The fastball heat could return this season as Feliz works with his personal trainer and gets farther away from the surgery. For all his experience, Feliz won't turn 27 until May 2.
"The surgery is in the very far past for me," Feliz said. "Thank God. I'm working harder, because as I told you, my trainer helps me. We started right after the day the season was over. I feel great and healthy.
"With the experience, I am more confident. Coming back from surgery, it takes a lot of things to work with, especially your confidence, trusting your elbow is OK and getting stronger. That I did and finally I feel great."

Rangers closer Feliz eyes return to form in '15 | texasrangers.com

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels: Shields 'not in the cards' for Rangers | texasrangers.com

"With what we were looking at in the beginning of the offseason, we didn't anticipate being extremely active early on," Daniels said. "We made it clear we wouldn't be involved on the more expensive free agents. We wanted to evaluate where our own guys are going into Spring Training and then evaluate what are needs are."
--Some thought this to be a smokescreen.

The Rangers have flirted with the idea of adding a veteran outfielder to their left field mix and pursued Torii Hunter early in the offseason. But their efforts in that area seem to have faded since then, and they appear increasingly likely to go with some combination of Ryan Rua, Michael Choice, Jake Smolinski and Rule 5 Draft pick Delino DeShields. The Rangers have also signed veteran outfielder/first baseman Kyle Blanks to a Minor League contract.
"It has not been a focus for us," Daniels said. "We'd like to see what Rua can do. We are a little higher on him than other people are. We like this guy and we like the other guys as well. We're not in a rush to go out and add somebody ahead of our guys. We don't love the options that are out there."
--I love JD's confidence in Rua.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 14 Texas Rangers prospect for 2015: Jairo Beras has yet to deliver on the hype | Dallas Morning News

Beras began 2014 at Class A Hickory slowly, warmed up to have a strong June and July and then, typical of a first-year minor leaguer, he wilted down the stretch. After failing to hit a homer in April or May, Beras generated five homers and 14 of his 25 total extra-base hits in June and July. Then: .224 with a .288 OBP and just six extra-base hits over his final 25 games. For the Rangers, those two summer months represent clear and convincing evidence his talent hasn’t deserted him. Now, it’s just a matter of getting reps and increasing his durability. With that, the hope is that the numbers will blossom.