• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels: Shields 'not in the cards' for Rangers | texasrangers.com

--Some thought this to be a smokescreen.

--I love JD's confidence in Rua.

That was before the Marlins & Dodgers (and others) exploded the market

I think if a cost effective move were available he would still spend some money, but those moves are few and far between,

I still think its mostly seeing what the young guys can do when given a chance rather than spending big bucks on marginal improvements

I have no problem with this route at all, but I also don't think its budget constraints in a vacuum either, so you're attempt to rub this in others face is kind of childish and absurd

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never ever wanted them to be in on Shields. He'll command way too much money and way too many years.

I too love his willingness to give Rua a shot. The kid did very nicely with his opportunity last year and started to flash some power.

I only would've wanted Shields on a contract that makes sense, but those aren't being given out this offseason to any players I would want

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was before the Marlins & Dodgers (and others) exploded the market

I think if a cost effective move were available he would still spend some money, but those moves are few and far between,

I still think its mostly seeing what the young guys can do when given a chance rather than spending big bucks on marginal improvements

I have no problem with this route at all, but I also don't think its budget constraints in a vacuum either, so you're attempt to rub this in others face is kind of childish and absurd

Childish and absurd? Okay.

I don't call that rubbing it in anyone's face. I guess you must have been one of the few who acted as if it was absurd and naive for me to believe that I could take JD at his word back in October. I don't recall you doing that, but you really seemed to have taken offense at me mentioning it. I am sorry that I offended you.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only would've wanted Shields on a contract that makes sense, but those aren't being given out this offseason to any players I would want

I think the days of contracts "making sense" are over with. That changed with the new economy in baseball brought on by the new national TV contracts as well as all the new local TV contracts. It began last offseason and will continue to explode.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never ever wanted them to be in on Shields. He'll command way too much money and way too many years.

I too love his willingness to give Rua a shot. The kid did very nicely with his opportunity last year and started to flash some power.

I have always been leery of Shields because of his struggles in the postseason. He reminds me of CJ in that way.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be honest i thought and prayed that it was a smoke screen and that JD would do just about anything to keep the Rangers competitive in 2015 but apparently the plans are more focused on further down the road than i hoped for. and that 2015 will be "we'll do the best that we can do with what we have"

I felt the same way about the possibility of a smokescreen last offseason. I was dead wrong about it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Childish and absurd? Okay.

I don't call that rubbing it in anyone's face. I guess you must have been one of the few who acted as if it was absurd and naive for me to believe that I could take JD at his word back in October. I don't recall you doing that, but you really seemed to have taken offense at me mentioning it. I am sorry that I offended you.

I didn't think that we would do anything major FA wise, but I thought we would spend a little money if it made sense, which it hasn't

Any market where Brett Anderson or Alex Rios gets 10+ million is one to run away from, not b/c JD said we wouldn't spend any money or we have financial constraints, but b/c it makes sense to do so

The Dodgers will learn just like the Red Sox and Yankees did, its not a sustainable system

You didn't offend me, but to do it every single day is annoying as fuck, and you come off as pretentious asshole, constantly sounding off "I told you so, I told you so, I told you so"

Correlation does not imply causality, which is what you are attempting to do here. Related? yes. Only Factor? No

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think that we would do anything major FA wise, but I thought we would spend a little money if it made sense, which it hasn't

Any market where Brett Anderson or Alex Rios gets 10+ million is one to run away from, not b/c JD said we wouldn't spend any money or we have financial constraints, but b/c it makes sense to do so

The Dodgers will learn just like the Red Sox and Yankees did, its not a sustainable system

You didn't offend me, but to do it every single day is annoying as fuck, and you come off as pretentious asshole, constantly sounding off "I told you so, I told you so, I told you so"

Correlation does not imply causality, which is what you are attempting to do here. Related? yes. Only Factor? No

Whatever man. You are coming off as a pretty sorry person right now yourself. Have fun.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no HoF discussion?

I am okay with all four that got in the hall. All good players with some good accomplishments.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no HoF discussion?

I am okay with all four that got in the hall. All good players with some good accomplishments.

None needed, Piazza should be in before Biggio, but otherwise no gripes, Mussina should have more votes as well