• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed the interview and I have nothing but the best wishes for Josh. He has his issues and he is far from perfect, but none of us are.

Hey, you take that back sir! :pound:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Buster Olney on players at the crossroads of their careers. And Prince being one of em.

Prince Fielder, 1B, Texas Rangers

There were warning signs in Fielder’s performance at the end of 2013, especially the hopeless at-bats in the postseason; in one stretch of four plate appearances, he saw a total of five pitches.

The Tigers worked to dump him and the Rangers grabbed Fielder, needing left-handed power, and he wound up missing most of 2014 because of a neck problem. The Rangers are under the impression that Fielder can make a full recovery and that he can return to his previous career path, when he was one of baseball’s most prolific sluggers; he is only 12 homers away from 300 for his career.

If Fielder doesn’t produce significantly at the plate in 2015, however, then his future -- and the Rangers’ decision to trade for him -- will look very different. Texas needs a solid comeback from him.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After two ambulances one care flight and three hospitals later my wife survived a heart attack and we are back home. Got back home 9:30 Christmas Eve night. We are both weak and tired but not enough to wish all of you a Merry Christmas in the true meaning.

Your ace reliever,
dt

Wow DT. Glad you are both OK now. I wish you both well and I hope for a speedy recovery. Seems like several people I know had some scarey hospital visits over Christmas. Luckily everyone seems to be OK now.

Hope you both have a great new year.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Buster Olney on players at the crossroads of their careers. And Prince being one of em.

There were warning signs in Fielder’s performance at the end of 2013, especially the hopeless at-bats in the postseason; in one stretch of four plate appearances, he saw a total of five pitches.

The Tigers worked to dump him and the Rangers grabbed Fielder, needing left-handed power, and he wound up missing most of 2014 because of a neck problem. The Rangers are under the impression that Fielder can make a full recovery and that he can return to his previous career path, when he was one of baseball’s most prolific sluggers; he is only 12 homers away from 300 for his career.

If Fielder doesn’t produce significantly at the plate in 2015, however, then his future -- and the Rangers’ decision to trade for him -- will look very different. Texas needs a solid comeback from him.

It was a gamble that I wish they had never taken.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still plenty of time to right the ship for Prince. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fielder get back to normal this season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The jury is still out as to was this a good or bad move IMO. Keep in mind, Kinsler was still Ian for Detroit last year.....started out like a house-of-fire. But he ended up with so-so numbers, and the Tiger fandom was totally disenchanted with his popup rate.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but must admit, Prince's contract can be an albatross of one for sure if he doesn't at least turn into something more than nothing with his bat.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The jury is still out as to was this a good or bad move IMO. Keep in mind, Kinsler was still Ian for Detroit last year.....started out like a house-of-fire. But he ended up with so-so numbers, and the Tiger fandom was totally disenchanted with his popup rate.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but must admit, Prince's contract can be an albatross of one for sure if he doesn't at least turn into something more than nothing with his bat.

Personally for me the issue is more taking on the contract than losing Kins. We have plenty of middle IF depth. We really need Prince to return form and be productive or that trade could potentially be another Arod contract for us. I really hope he bounces back but I think it may be too optimistic to expect him back to the MVP type player he was. It would be awesome if he could though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow DT. Glad you are both OK now. I wish you both well and I hope for a speedy recovery. Seems like several people I know had some scarey hospital visits over Christmas. Luckily everyone seems to be OK now.

Hope you both have a great new year.
Nice to hear from you Dude. Thank You

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally for me the issue is more taking on the contract than losing Kins. We have plenty of middle IF depth. We really need Prince to return form and be productive or that trade could potentially be another Arod contract for us. I really hope he bounces back but I think it may be too optimistic to expect him back to the MVP type player he was. It would be awesome if he could though.

Very good point.

As to Flieder, his glove is always going to be a bucket because it always was. But we've gotta have some, if not most, of that bat he showed for the majority of time in MLB before last season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good point.

As to Flieder, his glove is always going to be a bucket because it always was. But we've gotta have some, if not most, of that bat he showed for the majority of time in MLB before last season.
Mitch Moreland, pride of the Night Crawler, will hold down the bucket duties for the most part so Prince should have every opportunity to work on the bat.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to hear from you Dude. Thank You

I still stop by here and read some posts time to time. I just haven't really had the opportunity to initiate or participate in any meaningful baseball discussion.

Doesn't really seem like too much Ranger news this off season anyway. Guess we really have to hope last seasons additions of Choo and Fielder come through better for us this season. Would like a little more SP depth too but I'm not too sure we have much to spend. We had our largest payroll ever last season and given the results I can understand them tightening up the budget a bit. It's just doesn't make for an exciting off season.

Good to hear from you too!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch Moreland, pride of the Night Crawler, will hold down the bucket duties for the most part so Prince should have every opportunity to work on the bat.

Good to see you haven't lost your edge in spite of all the stress. :yahoo:

All kidding aside, Mitch is a very good 1st baseman, and if we're going to keep him, I've got no problem at all with him handling 1st.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is very possible those warning signs in 2013 were also related to the neck so we will just have to wait and see if Fielder is back to his former self. We have a lot of wait and see players because of the injuries last year. Let's hope most make a full return to being productive players again.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't mind them trading Ian at all. I am not missing him. I just didn't like gambling on Fielder and I felt that way even before we found out about his neck. I would have just as soon traded Ian for a couple of good Class A prospects and spent the money on a free agent at some point.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
(Fielder for Kinsler) was a gamble that I wish they had never taken.

I may be off my game ... but I don't see any way that Fielder for Kinsler was a gamble but if it was TEX future values went up.

Would TEX have rather had Kinsler's '14 season of .275/.307/.420/.727 and .273/.344/.449/.793 through 2018... OR

Would TEX rather have Odor's .259/.297.402/.698... PLUS whatever Prince brings through 2020... PLUS whatever moves are made out of Andrus/Profar/Odor?

I don't think its even close.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may fall into the "who cares column" but it's all we've got at the moment.

The Rangers have signed first baseman Mike McDade to a minor-league deal, Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News writes. McDade, 25, hit .242/.298/.349 at Double-A New Hampshire and Triple-A Buffalo in the Blue Jays system last season. He was drafted and developed by the Blue Jays, but also played in the White Sox and Indians systems before rejoining the Toronto organization.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see you haven't lost your edge in spite of all the stress. :yahoo:

All kidding aside, Mitch is a very good 1st baseman, and if we're going to keep him, I've got no problem at all with him handling 1st.

I'd rather see Rua play 1B

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be off my game ... but I don't see any way that Fielder for Kinsler was a gamble but if it was TEX future values went up.

Would TEX have rather had Kinsler's '14 season of .275/.307/.420/.727 and .273/.344/.449/.793 through 2018... OR

Would TEX rather have Odor's .259/.297.402/.698... PLUS whatever Prince brings through 2020... PLUS whatever moves are made out of Andrus/Profar/Odor?

I don't think its even close.

The problem wasn't trading Kinsler. I tried to make that clear earlier. Kinsler could have been traded without gambling on Fielder's future. Those two are only tied together because that was the trade that was made. That doesn't mean I wasn't in favor of trading Kinsler. He should have been traded, but not for Fielder. These are two separate discussions. I see a guy of Fielder's size and age combined with a down year in 2013 as being a gamble. That has absolutely nothing to do with what we would have gotten out of Kinsler or Odor or what we could have gotten in trade in the future from an extra middle infielder if indeed we actually have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see Rua play 1B

I would too, but I can't see them sitting Fielder if he is wanting to play in the field. They should, but I don't think they will. I guess Banister could surprise me.