• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that they made an offer to either one of them other than the QO.

I'm with Romeo on this, I remember them talking to Napoli and he chose to go back to Boston, no clue how much they offered though

Same with Cruz, not talking QO either

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Romeo on this, I remember them talking to Napoli and he chose to go back to Boston, no clue how much they offered though

Same with Cruz, not talking QO either

All I know is I followed it everyday on the DMN board and the ESPN board and everyday on the local radio and I never heard a report where JD said he made an offer to either one of them. Others on those boards disagreed with me about being disappointed in JD, but no one ever gave me a link to a story where JD admitted offering either of them a contract.

The JD apologists defense at the time was the QO and the rumor that Cruz would not sign here because he wanted to play in the OF. Those were their only defenses of JD not signing Cruz and they really had no defense for him not going after Napoli. It was an ongoing disagreement with those guys and I was never presented with anything saying JD admitted to giving them an offer. Not that I would have needed them to because I was following the stories very closely because I thought getting those guys would be important along with the others I mentioned.

You guys simply remember it differently than I do for some reason. I am equally as sure as you guys are. I know there are stories where media types speculated the Rangers had offered them contracts, but most of them were as true as most of the rumors we have read about the Rangers the last couple of weeks. They amounted to speculation by folks paid to speculate about baseball. Even MLBtraderumors.com has a story after Cruz signed with the Orioles that mentioned the Rangers offering him the QO, but it never mentions any other offer by the Rangers.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is I followed it everyday on the DMN board and the ESPN board and everyday on the local radio and I never heard a report where JD said he made an offer to either one of them. Others on those boards disagreed with me about being disappointed in JD, but no one ever gave me a link to a story where JD admitted offering either of them a contract.

The JD apologists defense at the time was the QO and the rumor that Cruz would not sign here because he wanted to play in the OF. Those were their only defenses of JD not signing Cruz and they really had no defense for him not going after Napoli. It was an ongoing disagreement with those guys and I was never presented with anything saying JD admitted to giving them an offer. Not that I would have needed them to because I was following the stories very closely because I thought getting those guys would be important along with the others I mentioned.

You guys simply remember it differently than I do for some reason. I am equally as sure as you guys are. I know there are stories where media types speculated the Rangers had offered them contracts, but most of them were as true as most of the rumors we have read about the Rangers the last couple of weeks. They amounted to speculation by folks paid to speculate about baseball. Even MLBtraderumors.com has a story after Cruz signed with the Orioles that mentioned the Rangers offering him the QO, but it never mentions any other offer by the Rangers.

I wanted them to go after Napoli and from what I remember he did his due diligence but Napoli decided to go with the Sox coming off the WS win, I certainly couldn't find it now though

Cruz I'm less sure about bc I honestly could've care less at the time if he left

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a couple of blurbs this morning regarding the winners/losers and needs from the winter meetings which gave me some pause.

The Marlins have a surplus of starters, and it will be interesting to see what kind of assurances Miami will give in defining what Haren's role will be, because the Marlins certainly have a greater need elsewhere -- for a first baseman who can hit left-handed.

Sound like anyone you know?

Loser: The Mets’ search for a shortstop

Good luck with that in this climate.

Not suggesting anything. But if they panic.......hmmmmm

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a couple of blurbs this morning regarding the winners/losers and needs from the winter meetings which gave me some pause.

The Marlins have a surplus of starters, and it will be interesting to see what kind of assurances Miami will give in defining what Haren's role will be, because the Marlins certainly have a greater need elsewhere -- for a first baseman who can hit left-handed.

Sound like anyone you know?

Loser: The Mets’ search for a shortstop

Good luck with that in this climate.

Not suggesting anything. But if they panic.......hmmmmm

But would it be worth it to get rid of those guys after assuming the eating of about 5 million per year remaining on both contracts? (10 million annually)

For Andrus is the return (for example) Syndergaard or DeGrom? Syndergaard is a no brainer, in a heart beat, but DeGrom, not so sure though he did put up some solid numbers in the majors last year

If the return was DeGrom & Ynoa I'd have a hard time saying no to that though

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swapping Deshields for Herrera in the Rule V was quite the get, already projects as the 9 prospect in our system,

Hopefully he's able to be a good 4/5th OF type, solid range in the OF and an ability to play 2B if needed and also his ability to pinch run, hopefully he shows a better ability to hit at the ML level, as he has a good eye and will take a walk

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But would it be worth it to get rid of those guys after assuming the eating of about 5 million per year remaining on both contracts? (10 million annually)

For Andrus is the return (for example) Syndergaard or DeGrom? Syndergaard is a no brainer, in a heart beat, but DeGrom, not so sure though he did put up some solid numbers in the majors last year

If the return was DeGrom & Ynoa I'd have a hard time saying no to that though

With the Marlins I was thinking MM.

But you're right on with EA. Personally, and I've been on record for months about this, I don't think it's wise of us to trade him right now.

First of all, I think he's going to have a damn good bounce back season. I think him having refocused, gotten in better shape and having a new voice in the dugout is going to work wonders.

But the scenario you've spelled out works for me. If opportunity knocks, answer.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As if anyone actually gives any credence to what Bowden thinks.

He really didn't have much to say for the obvious reasons.

But I did like the fact he mentioned our Wash deal and feels like we did quite well there.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight at 6:30 the show "Hot Stove" is being aired on Fox Sports and Steve Buchele will be the quest.